Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    Nothing to speak of this morning. spike, little seven and Stipe was all this morning. Nothing on cams either. Really disappointed this year with what we have seen on cams and in person. I have only seen one maybe two mature deer.
    It is getting extremely dry and the couple of freezes do not seem to be getting rid of the leaves or killing what forbs there are. Weird year for us. Hope it changes soon!
    Same for us. Mostly young scrub bucks. Have 2 or 3 mature deer on our cameras but that is all, which is very unusual for us. Brother shot a decent 8 Point second weekend of rifle season. FYI we talked to our neighbors coming out last weekend and there is road hunters in the area and they had their campers broke into.

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
      Same for us. Mostly young scrub bucks. Have 2 or 3 mature deer on our cameras but that is all, which is very unusual for us. Brother shot a decent 8 Point second weekend of rifle season. FYI we talked to our neighbors coming out last weekend and there is road hunters in the area and they had their campers broke into.

Fortunately our camp is off the main road and at the end of a dead end road and behind a locked gate. You have to be standing in our camp to see it from almost anywhere unless you are on one of our high points then you will be trespassing anyways.
      The only real mature deer I have seen or on camera is an 8, but we are considering him a cull. Hope the movement pics up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
        Well, I had a great morning near McLean. Bucks are chasing does everywhere. Had a few does and some small bucks come through at first light, they were scared off by some coyotes. Then it went still for an hour. But I knew they were on wheatfields late and would be by at some point. Sure enough has 4 does come in and 5 or six up and comers come and check them. At 9:15 looked out and 70 yards away was target buck grunting and trailing a doe. Got my bow up and knew it would depend on where that doe went if I would get me a shot. After 10 or 15 min she made the perfect move and walked right in front of me at 30 yards, he was 5 yard behind her. Drew bow and 50 yards later I have my best deer to date. 148 in 8 point with 40 in of mass.

Find the does and sit tight.

That’s a toad! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[/B]

Fortunately our camp is off the main road and at the end of a dead end road and behind a locked gate. You have to be standing in our camp to see it from almost anywhere unless you are on one of our high points then you will be trespassing anyways.
          The only real mature deer I have seen or on camera is an 8, but we are considering him a cull. Hope the movement pics up soon.
          Our camp is the same way, were down in a hole. have to go through our locked gate and drive about a mile down the road. Those guys camp next to us is the same way. Neighbor thinks somebody is dropping them off at night and they are walking in. He ran them out of camp in the dark one night with flash lights he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
            Our camp is the same way, were down in a hole. have to go through our locked gate and drive about a mile down the road. Those guys camp next to us is the same way. Neighbor thinks somebody is dropping them off at night and they are walking in. He ran them out of camp in the dark one night with flash lights he said.
            Dang, that is scary!, especially when I am the only one down there. Some of these folks keep doing this, they may get shot.

Comment

Just finished last rattling session for the morning. We'll see if anything comes in.

Like others, I'm seeing only average to small bucks. OTOH, I'm seeing more deer than I ever have, so the future is looking bright!

Comment

Dang, that is scary!, especially when I am the only one down there. Some of these folks keep doing this, they may get shot.
                Yep we have been hunting out there for nearly 20 years and never had this problem that we are aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
                  Just finished last rattling session for the morning. We'll see if anything comes in.

Like others, I'm seeing only average to small bucks. OTOH, I'm seeing more deer than I ever have, so the future is looking bright!
                  True. I've had more sits this season with dozen+ deer sitings than I ever have. The future HAS to be brighter than this.

Comment

So tonight I had a good looking young 8 walk in amongst five does and bully his way to some corn. Didn't seem to be an ounce of lust in him, and the does just gave way but kept grubbing. I think the main event has officially come to a close on my place. They're playing nice with each other. Where's the fun in that?

Tomorrow morning is it for me. Y'all be safe and best of luck.

Comment

I saw absolutely nothing tonight at my bow stand. My dad's back yard was full of deer when I walked back to the pickup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post

I connected on a 6yr old i had never seen before last night went 147, pretty pumped! Was hopin he would break the 150 mark but didnt quite make it. I have a video if i can figure out how to post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        One heck of a deer. Congrats again.

Comment

Great deer 32

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                            I honestly thought we were a little farther along in the post-drought recovery, but I guess that's most likely not the case.
                            We still have the gap of near 0 fawn crops from 2011-2012 moving through, and 2013 was fairly low also, so we have just a few 4 yr olds this year and close to none on 5-6 yr olds.

But 2014-2017 fawn crops were high. So, 2020-2024 hunting seasons will be amazing, especially if the top end of each age class can make it to 6-7 yrs. If we can get good rainfall during those 5 years, the Panhandle will put down numerous beasts.

Comment

New problem.

Not this Cowboy...

Comment

Coyotes are true survivors............they'll eat anything!

Comment

Working...
                                X