Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice buck Matt. Tell her congrats!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post

My wife killed a good one this evenin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Awesome! What a toad. Congrats to her!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Thanks guys, I've been sick an haven't been able to hunt any an shes been wantin to go out, so she got it done on her own with a crossbow, never had pics of him before. The rut is upon us!!
        Here is my new guy im after, he just showed up as well, never had a pic of a deer with a droptine much less double drop tines! Needless to say i may lose some sleep over him.. Definatly ain't the highest scoring deer I have ever had but has lots of cool character!

Comment

Awesome character! I’d punch my trophy tag on him!

Comment

Had a great couple of hunts Sunday night and Monday morning in Garza county. Sunday night I sat with my daughter looking for a big 6 that needs culling. We saw 9 different bucks and 5 does. Every doe had at least one buck following and or chasing her. The big 6 showed but would not stand still with all the deer around.

Monday morning I went to a different stand with my son. 15 minutes before feeder time the big 6 and two other deer show. When the feeder went off I could hear a big deer jump the fence coming into our pasture. A few seconds later the biggest mule deer we have on camera shows up. 18 yards broadside shot and he died under the feeder. I had to make a ramp out of pipe and plywood to load him. 184 lbs on the hoof. Protein works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Muley, congrats.

Comment

Wow, another toad. Congrats!

Comment

Great deer guys and gal! Congrats Keith!

Our movement came to a halt over the weekend. I only saw 12 deer from Saturday morning thru Monday morning and very little rutting actions except from dink head bucks. Never saw a hock that was even dark. Did see my cull buck choice up close and personal on Monday around noon when he crossed the lease road while I was on my 4 wheeler going to fill feeders. Crossed about 30 yards in front of me behind a doe, but not really dogging her. Big bodied and wide, but little else for horns. Hopefully going again Friday, but FIL is in and not leaving until Saturday, but I came in early for his arrival so hopefully the wife will let me go Friday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                    Panhandle has been good to me this year. Killed this deer the Monday after opening weekend of Bow season.

I’ve been hunting a deer similar to that in Kent county now for 3 years, I’m on panther canyon ranch west of Jayton ... nice buck

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
                      Thanks guys, I've been sick an haven't been able to hunt any an shes been wantin to go out, so she got it done on her own with a crossbow, never had pics of him before. The rut is upon us!!
                      Here is my new guy im after, he just showed up as well, never had a pic of a deer with a droptine much less double drop tines! Needless to say i may lose some sleep over him.. Definatly ain't the highest scoring deer I have ever had but has lots of cool character!

What character!

Hope you get him

Comment

Yesterday evening was a great day to be out. I was covered in deer and they felt good. I had a good time just watching them play and chase each other around my my blind for most of the evening. I only had a nice young 8 come in grunting up a storm and a broke up small buck as far as bucks go. Had about 12 deer pass by altogether.
                        This morning was a different story. I don't know what I did wrong this morning but all I heard was does blowing. They were to the east of me and the wind is barely out of the North. Sane thing happened about 30 minutes later. The little busted deer come in and was real jumpy and didn't stay long. I definitely did something they didn't like.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

My place was pretty weird this morning too with not much moving and only two deer seen between two of us who were on stand. With the lower temps I was expecting much better movement. Maybe this evening will be better as it hasn't warmed much today.

Still haven't seen much in the way of mature buck movement yet, which is disheartening to say the least.

Good luck y'all, be safe, and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving!

Took my oldest daughter and my dad on a drive in the 6 wheeler today and came across a decent muley buck and several does. If he were a whitetail it would be a no-brainer, shoot first-measure later deer, but since he's a muley, he could get much bigger. His rack configuration looked like a whitetail as well, as opposed to forks, so I guess it's possible that he's a hybrid, if such creatures actually exist. Seems like I've read that if they do exist, they're sterile which would be another good reason to shoot this deer if the opportunity presents. The 5 does he was hanging with didn't seem to mind his presence at all, and it's still early for them to be receptive. Anyhow, will do some thinking on this one.
                            Last edited by Heron; 11-23-2017, 11:18 PM. Reason: ,

Comment

The hybrid thing is hotly debated in some circles, but one TPWD study showed a significant amount of hybridism in some populations. And it's also not conclusive that they're sterile. Personally, I think I have a good bit of hybrid genetics on my place as some of my deer are just a little weird. Either that, or there's a toxic waste dump around here somewhere.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and whoever is on stand with me this morning, best of luck and be safe.

Kyle

Comment

Hunted my stand a dozen or more times with a lot of deer and movement but not much in the way of mature. Noticed the past week or so I am getting larger bucks hitting feeder in the middle of the night. Hoping they start coming in closer to dawn and dusk during shooting light.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X