Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Puncher51; 11-11-2017, 10:45 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Comment

Hunted this evening and had a lot of fun if nothing else. Saw an average to small buck 100 yards south of me so I figured I would try the antlers. Rattled a few times and he looked but stayed- put. Suspected he had a doe nearby. After a while, he started towards me but not in any hurry. I lost him behind a tree but was sure he was around so I rattled again and tried a "snort-wheeze" just for kicks. Still nothing. Finally, the spike that was under the feeder when I walked in decided to return and vacuum up the corn left behind by the quail.

After the spike committed a 3 yr. old 6 came in like he owned the place. Shortly after that a 3 y/o 8 point shows up and acts concerned. The 6 was 20 yards or so and I wasn't concerned about shooting him so I decided to do another "snort-wheeze". This seemed to amp up the 8 point that had held outside of the pen and the 8 came in and pushed the 6 around for the rest of the evening. Meanwhile, the spike parked himself under the feeder and ate all of the corn. Was hoping to see a sparring match between the 6 and the 8 but the 6 kept yielding to the 8 even though they were about the same size.

Would have liked to cull both the 6 and 8 and certainly had opportunities to do so but not quite ready to burn my only tag so I held off. No regrets, and this was one of those rare evenings where the entertainment of watching "wannabe" dominant bucks made the evening enjoyable in spite of the lack of trophies.

Comment

Same thing as usual yesterday evening. 15 doe and 1 buck come to the food plot. Mature bucks don't show up till dark except on the 2 days I didn't hunt last week. Maybe they will come in range this morning. Good luck to those hunting today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very slow here. Not a lot of movement.

Comment

I rattled up 3 bucks Sat. 2 yearlings and a 3 yr old.

Comment

Movement this weekend on our place was limited. One area Sunday morning had a lot of deer, but think there was a hot doe as all the deer were moving in and out of the brush and trees and there were several bucks in that area. The rest of the lease was dead.

Hopefully the rut is fixing to kick into full swing and maybe the temps will stay a little cooler so the rut chasing will not all be at night.

Comment

I went out Friday morning and rattled some before the wind got up too bad. First stand I rattled up a decent 8 right out of the box, he was very interested. He worked 270 degrees around me for probably 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. After he left I had a spike and busted 7 pointer come in, the 7 did the same thing. I was sitting on the ground with a rifle and he circled between me and the calling machine, maybe 12 yards from me.

Second stand was a blank, but third stand I rattled up another smaller 8 point. He was very interested as well, circling and hanging around for 5-7 minutes.

Friend of mine is at Plaska Lodge SW of Memphis right now on a hunt, there was a buck that green scored 197 that was killed there yesterday morning. He said movement there on the food plots has been pretty good. He passed on a 140 class yesterday morning. I think it is pretty close to really kicking off with heavy pre-rut movement.

Traditionally from my Birthday (tomorrow), through Thanksgiving weekend is when I see the best movement. Some folks like that first week of December, but I haven't had as good a luck then as a week or two before.

Comment

Hunted all day Sunday. It was very slow. Had 1 doe with her 2 fawns, a small spike and a busted up 6 or 7 point first thing in the AM. Thought i might see some mature bucks cruising in daylight but it didn't happen. My FIL who hunts in Roberts county is telling me the bucks are locked on does right now and should be more active and come to feeder in the next 1-2 weeks. That busted up buck I saw made me think they may be fighting a little earlier than normal for this area. I usually kill my buck first week of December once they are done fighting and coming into the feeder more often. Gonna do an all day sit this coming Saturday again.

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
                    No sir, no hogs here. Im SE of Allison in wheeler county. My east side of the place is .25 mile from oklahome line. Have had a a big boar coming into a set about a mile from here but thats it. Have had a few pics here an there but for the most part dont have any, i dont think theres enough water where i am for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Hmm hell i didn’t realized that existed in Texas. I would be curious to hear what Top of Texas says that cut off line is?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                      Hmm hell i didn’t realized that existed in Texas. I would be curious to hear what Top of Texas says that cut off line is?
                      They are scattered and mostly stay in the bottoms. I have hogs 1.5 miles north of me and I have never seen them on my place. I keep waiting on them to come wreck my food plots but fortunately it hasn't happened.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                        oh they are everywhere up here an all all around me just dont have the water for them hang around on my place

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
                          oh they are everywhere up here an all all around me just dont have the water for them hang around on my place
                          Gotcha. Not a bad problem to have.

Comment

Did a survey/rifle hunt last night and rattled in a wide 7 point. He came to the horns twice and spent a good part of the evening within 200 yards. Every time he acted like he was ready to move on, I would snort-wheeze at him and he would stick around.

All that said, I still think we're a week or so away from full blown rut here in Hemphill Co. My biggest bucks are still nocturnal on camera and still hanging out with each other.

BTW, I'm not sure why a "snort-wheeze" is called by that name. Sounds more like a failed attempt at a "raspberry" to me.

Edit: Haven't seen any hogs on us but we don't have running water or crops. Closest I've heard of was a mile away and a 1 time deal. Plenty of them down towards the Canadian River though from what I've been told.
                            Last edited by Heron; 11-14-2017, 08:38 PM. Reason: Re: Hogs

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
                              Did a survey/rifle hunt last night and rattled in a wide 7 point. He came to the horns twice and spent a good part of the evening within 200 yards. Every time he acted like he was ready to move on, I would snort-wheeze at him and he would stick around.

All that said, I still think we're a week or so away from full blown rut here in Hemphill Co. My biggest bucks are still nocturnal on camera and still hanging out with each other.

BTW, I'm not sure why a "snort-wheeze" is called by that name. Sounds more like a failed attempt at a "raspberry" to me.

Edit: Haven't seen any hogs on us but we don't have running water or crops. Closest I've heard of was a mile away and a 1 time deal. Plenty of them down towards the Canadian River though from what I've been told.

What part of hemphill are you in? Im just SE of allison on stateline in wheeler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The last 2 evenings were slow for me. Just saw does and they came in late. I hunted my new set in wheeler county Sunday evening and saw lots of movement but nothing in bow range. There's a giant fork horn I may arrow if he comes close enough. I'm about to be tied up where I can't hunt till the week after thanksgiving. I hope I don't miss it all. What sucks about hunting that late is the nice bucks are busted up by then.

Comment

Working...
                                X