No announcement yet.

Best draw weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys now all i got to do is practice more using different hunting scenarios

Comment

I shot two deer last year with the hypodermics at 49# due to shoulder issues, both at about 30 yards with clean pass throughs. Shooting 54# this year. I can draw it smoothly and comfortably and still shoot out to 80. It's all preference as to what your comfort level is and shot placement

Comment

I shoot 60#s and get complete pass throughs on deer and hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
          Hey guys ao im fairly new to bow hunting and God willing this will be my first season hunting with a bow im excited! My question is what is a good draw weight to effectively harvest a deer or hog? I see people say 60/70lbs but can we shoot less? Just curious as to weigh it has to be at that range or is it just preference..
          There is no "best" weight, only what's best for you and your hunting situation.

The number one thing is to not be overbowed; IOW, have too much draw weight, and only you can know this. There are many ways to check to see if you are overbowed, draw sitting down, draw while sitting cross-legged, or with your legs out in front (on the floor). But really you just need to be honest with yourself; if you struggle to draw the bow you are overbowed.

When I coach I tell my students to draw with an even and level arrow; a few degrees up is okay, but anything beyond is too much draw weight. Of course, this is for target shooting on level ground.

As a hunter I advise people to put themselves in the most compromising position they will encounter in the field, and then draw so as not to be detected by the animal they are hunting. As you can see, this is different for everyone, as no two people hunt the same.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
            The weight that is best for you. I found the best way to determine that was to sit in a chair and draw. When you can draw without making any noise or any movement other than straight back then you have the weight best for you.
            This, where you don't have to aim it at the sky to get it drawn!

Comment

Whatever weight you can draw back with a very calm and easy draw. Keep in mind your going to be hunting, not just shooting at a target. You need to be able draw with ease so you don't spoke the animal. This is much more important the the few extra lbs of draw weight. In my case, as I started shooting more I was able to periodically raise my draw weight.

Comment

I have 70 lbs. limbs and bow set at 62 lbs. got cool and stiff and could not get my bow pulled back on a doe. time to get a new bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
                  Hey guys ao im fairly new to bow hunting and God willing this will be my first season hunting with a bow im excited! My question is what is a good draw weight to effectively harvest a deer or hog? I see people say 60/70lbs but can we shoot less? Just curious as to weigh it has to be at that range or is it just preference..
                  it does not matter what someone else recommends, it is what is right for you, less than 55# I do suggest staying with a good coc head over a mechanical

Comment

Jesse, welcome to bowhunting! XMan hit it on the head in his above post. Shoot the poundage you are comfortable with. I suggest shooting the heaviest bow that you are comfortable with but do not overbow yourself. Over the years, I have seen new archers buy heavy bows and were unable to draw that bow because they were sitting in a tree stand and were used to shooting standing up when practicing. Practice in ways that will simulate the conditions you are hunting in. If you plan on hunting with a facemask, practice with one. It can make a difference. Also practice from elevation if you plan on hunting from an elevated platform. Good luck.

Comment

The greater the pounds the greater the velocity, you will shoot farther and straighter the more velocity you have. Shoot the most weight you can handle comfortably, I shoot 80 lbs but I know some guys would not be comfortable with that. I practice out to 70 yards but will kill up to 60 and it shoots fairly straight at that.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                        Jesse, welcome to bowhunting! XMan hit it on the head in his above post. Shoot the poundage you are comfortable with. I suggest shooting the heaviest bow that you are comfortable with but do not overbow yourself. Over the years, I have seen new archers buy heavy bows and were unable to draw that bow because they were sitting in a tree stand and were used to shooting standing up when practicing. Practice in ways that will simulate the conditions you are hunting in. If you plan on hunting with a facemask, practice with one. It can make a difference. Also practice from elevation if you plan on hunting from an elevated platform. Good luck.
                        When I first got my Bowtech Tomkat I had it set at 70lbs and could shoot it fine when standing but when a doe came 25yds to me in my stand indent to draw back and struggled. She seen me and jetted. I lowered the lbs to 64lbs and it was fine good to go there. Now I have a Mathews Heli-M and it's set at 64lbs as well

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X