No announcement yet.

Best sub-$20 bottle of wine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife and I are really into the Riojas (the Spanish reds) and we also are really digging the Montepulcianos. Tempranillo blends are also high on the list. I am not sure if they just haven't caught on yet. The reason I say that is the price point. We were told that the barrels in Spain are native to the area making the wine more economical.

Comment

This $7 bottle from Walmart got best in world in blind test...If you can find it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RyanC26 View Post
        My wife and I are really into the Riojas (the Spanish reds) and we also are really digging the Montepulcianos. Tempranillo blends are also high on the list. I am not sure if they just haven't caught on yet. The reason I say that is the price point. We were told that the barrels in Spain are native to the area making the wine more economical.
        I love tempranillos and granache (similar grape). From what I've experienced it isn't something that is widely known in the us but where people try them they love it

Another Trader Joe's house wine is their petite sirah reserve. One of the best deals out there imo

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
          I love tempranillos and granache (similar grape). From what I've experienced it isn't something that is widely known in the us but where people try them they love it

Another Trader Joe's house wine is their petite sirah reserve. One of the best deals out there imo
          Sounds good I will have to give those grapes a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanC26 View Post
            This is one of my favorite Montpulcianos...Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Illuminati

For those in to Malbec's, the only one I've had was Norton and it was ok. Can ya'll recommend others?

My fav sub $10 bottle is Carnivore. Others I enjoy are the Marquis de Caceras Rioja, Gabiano and Ruffino Chianti.
            Last edited by icetrauma; 08-02-2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
              The twist cap threw me off at first but this is a good one.
              Yeah that was a surprise to us too. It's a **** good wine for $20.

Comment

Really cheap - Trader Joe's, but that's not available unless you have a Trader Joe's. It's literally $2.95/bottle.

Kirkland label from Costco is pretty good for a $10-15 bottle

19 crimes, 14 hands, Velvet Devil and Layer Cake are pretty good in that $10-15 range as well.

My favorite in the $20-25 range is Long Board. The red blend is at that price point. Merlot and Cab are more, but the red blend is pretty good. This label is consistent and is California winery.

South American Malbecs are good in that range as well, however, I've found them to be pretty inconsistent. I don't think they keep the same standards as California wineries. What I mean is you will buy 2 bottles of the same, one is great and the other isn't too good. Kind of a luck of the draw type of deal.

One other deal is on the cheaper side, I've found Merlots to be better. The cabs, need a higher price point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                  There is a Pinot called Meiomi that is great and can be found under $20. We first had it at Ruth Chris Steakhouse and couldn't believe it was under 20 at the grocery store.
                  This is a good one.

La Storia cab is about $22 but it certainly won't disappoint. Others we like in that price range (cabs):

-Decoy
                  -Silver Palm
                  -Ghost Pines

>$20 but <$40:

-Faust
                  -Caravan

Comment

No one else has had Liberty School? $15 bottle that tastes like a $40-$50 bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                      Ménage a Trois. Cabernet Sauvignon
                      ^this is my go to!

Comment

Has anyone used the Vivino app? That thing is really helpful.

Comment

Erath Pinot Noir

Comment

This has wonderful fruity tones and leaves enough for my 18pk. Personal favorite of the heifer barn on here. She has good tastes. Just saying...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Alamos
                              Josh cab
                              19 crimes, pretty sure it's under 20
                              Hunter chap
                              Big horn canyon- specs wine made in Texas and has a picture of a buck from the 4 canyons ranch on it
                              Decoy

Comment

I'm a huge tempranillo fan and big reds in general.. A nice find I landed on was 4 Star cabernet at HEB.. way underrated for the price.. I think it was 12.99

Comment

Working...
                                X