This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
    Yep. Timing is everything. Any rumblings yet on how long GMFP sticks around? I'd imagine he wants to get TCU through the expiration of the current Big 12 GOR but I cant see him staying for too much longer after that.

We're all getting old. First time in my life UT hired a HC younger than I am.
    When does the GOR run out? 2025? I doubt he stays that long honestly but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
      When does the GOR run out? 2025? I doubt he stays that long honestly but you never know.
      Was thinking 2023 but I honestly don't know. Tough spot. Obviously want TCU to be at their strongest when that time comes since I doubt the conference survives.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
        Lot's of hearsay the OL is a mess? Care to expand on that?
        I was thinking the OL should be decent. Last year I was more concerned about them than this year. A lot of guys played last year. Turner does switch the guys around A lot and cross trains them in case of injuyies. The tackles will be the ones to watch, up the middle should be solid.

Comment

Is that enough to save Sumlin? The Ags are in kind of a unique situation IMO. Sumlin isn't terrible. He's just not great, but you could certainly do worse. Thankfully, Charlie made the decision easy for UT. Literally nothing more to lose.
          8 wins, with victory over a florida, or an LSU, or auburn late season he will be safe....

8 wins going 5-0 then collapsing yet again, he gone.

I personally think he's a good coach, but not a great coach to get over the hump and be competing with the top end of the SEC year in and year out.

IF he could get us to Auburn status, that would make people happy. Being in the conversation every few years for SEC title potential.

Comment

Was thinking 2023 but I honestly don't know. Tough spot. Obviously want TCU to be at their strongest when that time comes since I doubt the conference survives.
            He has expressed sentiments in the past about wanting to enjoy his retirement and still be young enough to do some things/travel/etc. I'm betting about 5yrs. I think he's 57 now. Some of that could also depend on how strong(or weak) the program is at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
              Lot's of hearsay the OL is a mess? Care to expand on that?
              The interior of the line are returning starters and the tackles are both juniors that played a lot of snaps last year. McCoy at center was ALL SEC freshman team and at least once was SEC O lineman of the week. I think we see a marked improvement this year at O line and it will show in the running game.

As for Sumlin, no I don't think an 8 win season saves his job. There was a time when that would have been the case but there is too much money at play and expectations are too high. The AD has also been around long enough now that he can evaluate the whole program and has been able to build some relationships with donors and such. He's also a long time SEC guy and I feel he understands what it takes to win in the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                8 wins, with victory over a florida, or an LSU, or auburn late season he will be safe....

8 wins going 5-0 then collapsing yet again, he gone.

I personally think he's a good coach, but not a great coach to get over the hump and be competing with the top end of the SEC year in and year out.

IF he could get us to Auburn status, that would make people happy. Being in the conversation every few years for SEC title potential.
                That's the problem. You could do worse. I'm not 100% convinced Morris is better save for the usual recruiting bump a new coach brings.

Will be tricky waters for the Ags if things go South this year. Almost have to have a top guy signed sealed and delivered before you can fire Sumlin. The obvious risk there is word leaking out and the whole thing blowing up like when UT was trying to woo Saban. Don't go that route and the risk is you wind up not improving things.

Wouldn't wish a coaching change on my worst enemy. Just so much seems to be luck. If Charlie doesn't lose to KU there's a good chance Tom Herman is coaching the Ags in 2018. Crazy to think about.

Comment

Watch for the Texas D to be greatly improved. Orlando is getting high praise locally and the D is looking good. Lots of talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                    Watch for the Texas D to be greatly improved. Orlando is getting high praise locally and the D is looking good. Lots of talent.
                    Man I hope so. Not ready to buy into our LB's until I see improvement first hand but I love going up against a 1,000 yard rusher and a running QB week one. Should be a good indicator of where we're at.

I'm definitely a Todd Orlando fan.

Comment

Man. Daylon Mack needs somebody to slap him upside the head. Dude has Sunday talent and seems hellbent on ruining his career before it even starts. We all have them, but I'll never understand guys that just don't give a **** about their God given talent.
                      I'll give his last season performance a pass to an extent. His parents got a divorce and apparently it was a really rough situation for the whole family, no telling what effect that had on Daylon's mental game last year. This season remains to be seen. Kingsley Keke is a manchild and I think Zaycoven has the senior edge having been more reliable for a long time. Mack will make plays for us this year, watch out for the RS Freshman though, he's gonna be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
                        I'll give his last season performance a pass to an extent. His parents got a divorce and apparently it was a really rough situation for the whole family, no telling what effect that had on Daylon's mental game last year. This season remains to be seen. Kingsley Keke is a manchild and I think Zaycoven has the senior edge having been more reliable for a long time. Mack will make plays for us this year, watch out for the RS Freshman though, he's gonna be nice!
                        That stinks. Can easily see how that would be a big distraction. Hope he pulls it together

Comment

A good D in the Big 12? Is there such a thing?

Comment

It is game day boys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                              It is game day boys!!!
                              My oldest came home from college last night and we are all set for a night on the couch watching CFB. No distractions.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but what is Orlando's background? Does he have a track record or is this just a "feeling"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X