Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who all tent camps or car camps at there lease??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can do it with the camper, it would be great i used my 30' keystone at my lease all aeason long amd at the end pull it out and give it a good cleaning aint nothing like getting out of the blind in 90 degree weather in december amd going and getting a nice cool shower and ac after the hunt

Comment

We have an actual camp that the kids sleep in and we usually just sleep on the ground by the fire, but when we do use a tent this si the one we use...

It really does set up and tear down in under 5 minutes and is super roomy! We have used it in Big Bend and at all out BBQ cook offs.

Comment

I do whatever it takes, even rent an apartment right by public lands

Comment

I've been giving this a bit more thought and I'll be honest... the biggest pain in the butt when it comes to car camping is all the stuff you bring there and back. this is especially true when you need to bring not only camping gear, but your hunting gear as well... and for everybody in the family. As it is, I tend to bring a crap ton of stuff when I go out and I'm no longer having to bring a tent, etc.

In my opinion, your #1 consideration should be storage. You will want to keep stuff out there so you don't have to lug it back and forth. Loading/unloading the car with stuff is a pain in the rear x however many are going. The fact that I can leave my cot, buckets with things like paper towel, plates, forks, mosquito nets, flashlights, a table, extension cords, etc means I have less that I need to haul out. My packing list now is just my hunting gear/clothes, pillow, blanket, air pad, and a cooler with food. If the family comes, I can bring the bunk-able cots and their pillows/clothes.

A weatherproof shed that you can store airtight plastic boxes with gear in it would be a wise investment if you are going to be on the lease for a while. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
            Many reasons one of which is
            All I have to tow the pop up with is a lifted Jeep Grand Cherokee it works great locally but would be a beating hauling it 3.5-4hours to my lease. I could buy a truck but see my previous post about being frugal[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
            If you could get over some of your frugalness (I.e. tight ***), you could rent a storage close to your lease to keep the pop up in.

Comment

I tent camped last year. This year, I have been sleeping in the car. A few hunting buddies and my wife think I am crazy... Which is a fair assessment (I have been out hunting a few times in the past month for hogs, and it has been pretty toasty), but simplicity and frugality are important to me.

Since no one has mentioned permethrin, I will. It is an absolute game changer when it comes to mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, etc. I buy the biggest container with a spray attachment on Amazon. All of my clothes that I wear out to the lease get sprayed.

As for snakes, I have snake boots.

My family did a number of fall camping trips (in tents) in state parks around the country growing up, and I have very fond memories of those times.

Don't get me wrong, I love air conditioning and creature comforts, but I am grateful to be able to have fun with less. Of course, in a few years, when my sons are hunting age, I might change my tune. Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by tom125446 View Post
                I tent camped last year. This year, I have been sleeping in the car. A few hunting buddies and my wife think I am crazy... Which is a fair assessment (I have been out hunting a few times in the past month for hogs, and it has been pretty toasty), but simplicity and frugality are important to me.

Since no one has mentioned permethrin, I will. It is an absolute game changer when it comes to mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, etc. I buy the biggest container with a spray attachment on Amazon. All of my clothes that I wear out to the lease get sprayed.

My family did a number of fall camping trips (in tents) in state parks around the country growing up, and I have very fond memories of those times.

Don't get me wrong, I love air conditioning and creature comforts, but I am grateful to be able to have fun with less. Of course, in a few years, when my sons are hunting age, I might change my tune. Ha!
                If using a lot of permethrin, then buy it like this and it will make over 9 1/2 gallons of 0.5% permethrin solution.

Comment

We have been debating this issue ourselves. #2 on the list is a portable cabin. #1 on the list is I have an 87 Chevy K5 that's in really good original shape that I am seriously thinking about turning into an overland rig that I can use for the lease here in Texas and to use for some out of state public hunting opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Who all tent camps or car camps at there lease??

Back in the old days, I had a 4x4 S-10 and my buddy had a Ford Ranger. We both had camper shell with a roll of 4 inch foam. That was our "deer camp" for many years. Worked great! We thought we'd died and gone to heaven when the land owner let us use a 25 year old 16' camper.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      When I first got on a lease out in the Hill Country, I brought a tent. Some of the previous members had a camper, the guys that stayed on camped in EZ up style 10x10 tents. There was a shed that one of the guys would sleep in... but it was a mice haven.

Before season started, I decided to spend $200 to build a deck for my tent. It is the hill country so it is rocky, and when it rained, it got muddy. I figured some day it would turn into shelter of some kind, like you might see on the Appalachian Trail (where I got my inspiration from pictures from folks who have hiked it)

I tent camped liked that for a season and it was nice to have a steady, smooth floor as a base. The next season, I spent basically turning it into a cabin... essentially a permanent tent.

During the season, I pretty much leave my cot there and some buckets with lids that have stuff like toilet paper, etc.

Because of my example, the other lease members also built decks for their tents. Most are 12x12.

If you check out my thread, you can see how I ended up being able to fit all 4 of use (wife, myself, and 2 young kiddos using bunkable cots.)

Before I bought those cots, the kids would sleep in a tent outside, or in the car if it was really cold. Now we all stay warm in the cabin.

Luckily snakes are usually not a problem (haven't been). I do have a tarantula that lives under the cabin that comes out at night and hangs out in a hollow stump just past the back deck. I don't pay him mind and try to remember not to pee on him when nature calls at 2am.

Oh and speaking of snakes... if you have a camper... snakes will come because mice will show up and hang out there. In my cabin I am religious about not having 'spaces' for mice to hide so that I don't have a mouse problem... and subsequently a snake problem.
                      Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      I've been giving this a bit more thought and I'll be honest... the biggest pain in the butt when it comes to car camping is all the stuff you bring there and back. this is especially true when you need to bring not only camping gear, but your hunting gear as well... and for everybody in the family. As it is, I tend to bring a crap ton of stuff when I go out and I'm no longer having to bring a tent, etc.

In my opinion, your #1 consideration should be storage. You will want to keep stuff out there so you don't have to lug it back and forth. Loading/unloading the car with stuff is a pain in the rear x however many are going. The fact that I can leave my cot, buckets with things like paper towel, plates, forks, mosquito nets, flashlights, a table, extension cords, etc means I have less that I need to haul out. My packing list now is just my hunting gear/clothes, pillow, blanket, air pad, and a cooler with food. If the family comes, I can bring the bunk-able cots and their pillows/clothes.

A weatherproof shed that you can store airtight plastic boxes with gear in it would be a wise investment if you are going to be on the lease for a while. Just my thoughts.
                      This is something I can get on board with plus I'm a sicker for a good project!

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tom125446 View Post

Yep I already use permetherin at my house for chiggers. I will be taking it with me every trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                          If you could get over some of your frugalness (I.e. tight ***), you could rent a storage close to your lease to keep the pop up in.
                          This is an option I hadn't thought about.

I will have to look into it!

Comment

Definitely doesn't sound too enjoyable. Guess Im getting soft.

Comment

We have the last few times pretty enjoyable!

Comment

Pic of our camp this weekend
                                Couple weekends ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X