Automation/Control Wiring Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automation/Control Wiring Projects

Morning all, had a quick question for anyone in the electrical/automation/control wiring field. I recently opened a (very) small service company in North Texas, mostly residential and commercial, while also working full time as an industrial maintenance electrician at a major manufacturing facility in the area (insurance/benefits). It's a lot on one plate, but I've got a fire under me right now (all these "new landowner" threads are getting to me.) and I'm trying to capitalize as much as possible. Besides working when I'm not working, I would like to find some more work. I have an associates degree in industrial automation and would like some information on acquiring projects or panel builds in this field if anyone has any insight (not asking for customer names, just information on breaking into a growing industry). Along for this ride are two guys I've worked with over the years, one is a PLC programming/design guru and the other is an IT/networking whiz. Again, not looking for any specific names or companies, just advice and direction. Thanks!

My business is refrigeration/HVAC controls for retail/supermarkets. Some warehouse type stuff too. If you are willing to travel there is work out there. I have a couple of companies I sub projects/installation out to. Seems like the problem everyone has is finding/keeping good help. The industry I operate in is very small, reputation carries a lot of weight. Unless you are starting a panel shop or something like this I think it is going to be hard for you to do a business and a job at the same time.

Comment

Agreed, although a small panel shop is on my radar for possible directions to go with this. My end goal is to step away from the maintenance position as soon as possible to pursue full time self-employment, but it's hard to walk away from the consistency. That's why the service company was a good stepping stone for me, it's work I know how to do and know how to sell. Travel is something I've been discussing with my "team" and we have installation guys on board for it. Will PM if I can get something definitive together and if you are interested in hearing from possible new sub contractors? Thanks for the reply!

Comment

look into some traffic light builders/maintenance folks

Comment

There are lots of panel shops around and currently more supply than demand. In other words, if the buyer is looking for low bid, it's tough to make much profit. On the other hand, installation contractors, especially for small jobs, are hard to find. I used to sell the equipment but it seemed like I spent a lot of time helping customers find installation contractors.

Comment

Might look at the big A/C equipment mfgr distributors like Texas Trane, Carrier Group etc. Lots of opportunity in building automation. Also POS (point of sale) controls that tie in with building automation like Movie Theaters where outside air intake for the A/C systems is directly controlled thru the POS based on number of tickets sold. More people inside equals more fresh air required by code. All these systems require address panels to integrate the software and equipment. Lighting controls are also a hot ticket to meet energy code requirements.
            The list is almost endless.
            Last edited by muzzlebrake; 07-26-2017, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X