BBQ Sauce and Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spikebuck View Post
    I've been working on this really hard and have been getting better with every attempt. I think I've learned that I need to buy a good thermometer and not trust the one on the outside of my pit. Pretty sure it reads low.
    Have you calibrated the the Thermometer?

Learn how to properly calibrate a thermometer using the boiling water and ice water methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Luck_of_the_Draw View Post
      The meat pulls off the bone

3 hours smoke time at 250
      2 hours sauced and wrapped
      1 hour open to caramelize the sauce

guaranteed to fall off the bone
      You don't want it to fall off the bone, that's roast

Comment

hate fall off the bone! the key is like smart said... The trick is getting it to be tender, juicy and stay on the bone so you can eat it like a rib should be eaten. you have to know your pit!!! to do good q!

Comment

Originally posted by W-L-F View Post
          after I take my ribs out of foil I also put them back on the pit for about 45 min's to tighten them back up; but I also apply a Pineapple Habanero jelly gives them a little kick and man is it good

**** that sound goooooood!

Comment

Originally posted by spikebuck View Post
            I've been working on this really hard and have been getting better with every attempt. I think I've learned that I need to buy a good thermometer and not trust the one on the outside of my pit. Pretty sure it reads low.

My lid thermo is cooler than my grate temp. ... sometimes as much as 20 degrees. I think that's pretty standard. My lid thermo is for decoration now.[emoji23][emoji23]. I like to know the temp that is hitting the meat so I set the Maverick on the grate between the fire and the meat. The remote feature is greatness. Being able to monitor the pit and meat temps while working in the home office, sitting in the AC watching a game or piddling in the shop is a game changer.

Here's the remote in the middle of my two brisket cooks yesterday.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers men.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                You don't want it to fall off the bone, that's roast
                Low and slow.

The meat stays on the bone but pulls off clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Luck_of_the_Draw View Post
                  The meat pulls off the bone

3 hours smoke time at 250

2 hours sauced and wrapped

1 hour open to caramelize the sauce

guaranteed to fall off the bone

Same here, give or take on the times though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with what is being said on making sure the rib stays a rib instead of falling apart.

I firmly believe the rib and your chosen rub should stand on their own. I serve BBQ sauce on the side to be used as a condiment if desired.

Comment

Smoke 3hrs wrap and put back on for 1hr once you get them inside open up and let the heat out wait 5-10 minutes then add sauce if you want trust me it works.

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                        I firmly believe the rib and your chosen rub should stand on their own. I serve BBQ sauce on the side to be used as a condiment if desired.

Sure they should but 95% of regular people aren't as OCD as most of us BBQ cooks are. Folks love their BBQ sauce. Who am I to argue with or tell a person what their tastes buds tell them. I'm not using them and until they put my buds on their tongue, I can't tell them how I think it should be eaten and expect them to change.....

Hell I prefer a dry rub rib but I like one slathered in sauce occasionally too. My wife is a BBQ sauce lover and likes A1 on medium rare steaks.I've tried to break her but she's right when she says..."you eat with your tastebuds and I'll eat with mine".. I usually do two racks, one dry and one wet with leftovers because of it. ..
                        Last edited by Smart; 07-02-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                          Smoke 3hrs wrap and put back on for 1hr once you get them inside open up and let the heat out wait 5-10 minutes then add sauce if you want trust me it works.

That's the longest run-on sentence I have read in a while..

Comment

Everyone that has ever had my backyard BBQ says it's the best they have ever had...so my way is right.

Hi Smart!

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              Everyone that has ever had my backyard BBQ says it's the best they have ever had...so my way is right.

Hi Smart!
                              LMAO!! If I had a nickel.....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                LMAO!! If I had a nickel.....
                                Yep

I figured you'd appreciate the humor

Comment

Working...
                                X