Influx of Californians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
    Not to mention the fact that it's probably unconstitutional. I'm not aware of anywhere in the USA creating such a law. I'm no lawyer, but I think this type of protectionist policy would impede freedom of movement.
    This^. That ****ed constitution again, always getting in the way.

Lot of hyperbole on this thread, entire states destroyed, communities ruined etc.

I understand your frustration and am genuinely curious about the specific things that formed your opinion.

We allow citizens of foreign countries to own property here, do you really think a law restricting the sale of Texas real estate to a California resident would fly?

How do you feel about California corporations opening businesses here and providing jobs to Texas residents?

If a guy from California wants to buy my house for 30% more than any Texas resident, should I not sell it to him? Lets say that 30% equals 200K. Are you suggesting that we forgo that extra income on principle?

I don't have the kind of money that allows me to pick and choose who I sell my house to based on residency. The significantly highest bid wins.

Can you think of any circumstances where would you be OK with me selling my property to someone from California?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
      This^. That ****ed constitution again, always getting in the way.

Lot of hyperbole on this thread, entire states destroyed, communities ruined etc.

I understand your frustration and am genuinely curious about the specific things that formed your opinion.

We allow citizens of foreign countries to own property here, do you really think a law restricting the sale of Texas real estate to a California resident would fly?

How do you feel about California corporations opening businesses here and providing jobs to Texas residents?

If a guy from California wants to buy my house for 30% more than any Texas resident, should I not sell it to him? Lets say that 30% equals 200K. Are you suggesting that we forgo that extra income on principle?

I don't have the kind of money that allows me to pick and choose who I sell my house to based on residency. The significantly highest bid wins.

Can you think of any circumstances where would you be OK with me selling my property to someone from California?
      I'm glad you asked a couple of those questions. Primarily the one about California businesses creating jobs here. A lot of people see on a superficial level that new available job, and think yes, that's a good thing. But then they stop and don't think about where the money is going. All of that business' profits are leaving our economy and going back to California. That money is not staying in our local economy and being spent on the various businesses here. It's being sucked out, like a drain. So the answer is no, it is absolutely not a good thing in the big picture. What is a good thing is spending your money on Texas businesses.

In regard to denying offers on principle, my answer is absolutely yes. Primarily when it comes to offers on wilderness real estate for purposes of turning it into a development. These topics really require people to look beyond the initial benefit to see the big picture, and see that in the long run we are not actually coming out ahead. It's like selling your soul to be a billionaire. Nice for awhile, but at some point you die and go to hell.

I never said I was trying to create a law that made it illegal for non residents to buy property.

As far as legality of the tax, the real estate attorney says he believes it is legal.

Comment

Somebody has had to many bowls of fruit loops

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
          No need to wait. 1900 acres so far. If there are any landowners on this site that are interested in this idea, or have questions about conservation easements, please talk to me. It also results in an income tax break and retains your ability to build structures on your land.

Make me a deal on 100 of your 1900 and I'm on board !

Comment

so the employees have to send the money they make back to California too? I thought they would spend their paychecks at local businesses, buy a car at a local dealership, eat at local restaurant, or maybe buy a house in Texas. Its been a while since I was sitting in Econ or business fundamentals but I thought jobs were good for the local economy.

In regard to denying offers on principle, my answer is absolutely yes. Primarily when it comes to offers on wilderness real estate for purposes of turning it into a development. These topics really require people to look beyond the initial benefit to see the big picture, and see that in the long run we are not actually coming out ahead. It's like selling your soul to be a billionaire. Nice for awhile, but at some point you die and go to hel.

Spoken like a man with a whole lot more money than the average Texan. I tried feeding my kids principle but it never filled their bellies. Their soul maybe, but never their bellies.

Comment

Nope, I own a house and ranch. Vancouver has effectively used the non resident tax to deal with a similar problem
              Did "you" buy the buy house and ranch or was it an inheritance?

Is the Ranch the 1900 acres you referenced earlier?

Comment

There are wild lands in the hill country? I grew up in New Mexico so maybe I'm a little biased.

-------------------------------
                Violence never settles anything
                -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                  Make me a deal on 100 of your 1900 and I'm on board !
                  I wish I owned 1900. The 1900 is comprised of my land and the three neighboring properties. We have decided to get the easements to create a contiguous block of land that can never be developed. Nearby landowners now have easements in the works as well. I encourage the landowners reading this to take a stand with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                    so the employees have to send the money they make back to California too? I thought they would spend their paychecks at local businesses, buy a car at a local dealership, eat at local restaurant, or maybe buy a house in Texas. Its been a while since I was sitting in Econ or business fundamentals but I thought jobs were good for the local economy.

Spoken like a man with a whole lot more money than the average Texan. I tried feeding my kids principle but it never filled their bellies. Their soul maybe, but never their bellies.
                    What percentage of these huge companies' profits here do you think the employees' salaries represent? It is a tiny percentage. The remaining millions they collectively make every year goes back to California.

And keep in mind that every time we choose to work for one of the California companies operating here (or any other foreign company) you are supporting them in the competition with Texas based companies that do the same thing. Given the chance, Texas companies can meet almost any demand that our market here has. To succeed, they just need our business. When that happens, money stays here and everyone becomes more wealthy. And when they grow, they have more jobs openings to fill.

Lastly, regarding your comment about not having the money to have the luxury of making those principle based decisions, please know the following. In these scenarios (Texas isn't the first), the cost of living gets dragged up along with those real estate prices. So if you think it's difficult to afford things now, expect it to get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Did "you" buy the buy house and ranch or was it an inheritance?

Is the Ranch the 1900 acres you referenced earlier?

It isn't relevant, but I bought the house and inherited the ranch.

The 1900 is comprised of my land and the three neighboring properties. We have decided to get the easements to create a contiguous block of land that can never be developed. Nearby landowners now have easements in the works as well. I encourage the landowners reading this to consider doing the same.
                      Last edited by Longue Carabine; 06-28-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

What percentage of these huge companies' profits here do you think the employees' salaries represent? It is a tiny percentage. The remaining millions they collectively make every year goes back to California.

And keep in mind that every time we choose to work for one of the California companies operating here (or any other foreign company) you are supporting them in the competition with Texas based companies that do the same thing. Given the chance, Texas companies can meet almost any demand that our market here has. To succeed, they just need our business. When that happens, money stays here and everyone becomes more wealthy. And when they grow, they have more jobs openings to fill.

Lastly, regarding your comment about not having the money to have the luxury of making those principle based decisions, please know the following. In these scenarios (Texas isn't the first), the cost of living gets dragged up along with those real estate prices. So if you think it's difficult to afford things now, expect it to get worse.
                        I own a Texas company. Just this month I entered into lucrative contracts with two California based companies. The money I earn from these contracts will stay in Texas. I welcome companies from California or any other State.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                          I guess I don't understand. He has a legitimate idea that is already set up would just have to be implemented more. And you are going to run it down?
                          read his post - guy is in la la land - never will happen

Comment

I bet those workers are grateful for their check. Maybe they should work for less money or better yet forgo employment altogether to dissuade companies from coming to Texas.

Whether or not you inherited the land is completely relevant. Inherited wealth is a totally different animal.

Lets say I needed to sell my house or land to cover healthcare costs for my wife or child and I sold it to a guy from California who offered me 200K more than any other buyer. Did I as you put it earlier, sell my soul to the devil? Or did I make the best decision for my family?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                              There are wild lands in the hill country? I grew up in New Mexico so maybe I'm a little biased.

-------------------------------
                              Violence never settles anything
                              -Genghis Kahn
                              From another one born and raised in NM that was my thought as well!

Comment

I'm not one for giving up or having a defeatist attitude. I'm from Texas after all . . .
                                There's always a way to accomplish something, and the reality is that we absolutely can deal with this problem. We need organization, good ideas, and good execution.

This site revolves around hunting. The dream of every man here is to own his own land and hunt in a healthy robust ecosystem full of game. And at the very least, if you couldn't ever own your own land, you would still want the vast wilderness to hunt in via leases or friends. That land is also part of what makes Texas "Texas". If prices are driven up so high that Texans can no longer afford it, and if development continues at this break neck rate, the land and opportunities to own/use it are going to dissipate.
                                I say Texans first. That's our land. That's our state. I'm not going to standby while it gets taken over. I'm pretty **** sure there's a lot of people who feel the exact same way. And you might be surprised what a lot people can accomplish when they get organized.
                                so are you the guy to pull all of this off?? Other than getting a couple of neighbors together how do you plan on getting the rest of the landowners in Texas to not sell their land?

Again get back to all of us in a couple of years and tell us how your dream is working out. All sounds good in theory - on paper???? forget it.

I live in Georgetown - last year the fastest growing town in the country - this year the 5th fastest growing town in the country. You are a little late to the party with your theory

Comment

Working...
                                X