No announcement yet.

Tennis elbow and archery???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to take a year off from the Hoyt and use a crossbow.

Comment

I had it in my right elbow many years ago. Cortizone shots twice helped, but it eventually came back. Ended up having the surgery and hasn't bothered me again. But then I got it in my left elbow. Had the cortisone and it went away. Now, three years later I have it again. Got another shot in March and it helped but only about 50% better. Trying to avoid another surgery, so its lots of rest, using the arm band all day long, Aleve, TINS unit for electrical massage and massaging the area by rolling a tennis ball over it. I don't ice because I don't want to slow down blood flow. I want more blood flow to help healing. I sometime put a heating pad on it. I'm up to about 75% now and hope to be at full speed by the end of the summer.

Comment

Strengthening my wrist and arms is what works for me. Avoid repetitive stress. Mine was caused by chainsaws and hand tools. It didn't get bad until I got a desk job. Rolling a mouse around is what flares mine up. Cortisone actually made it worse.
        I think it's a little different for everybody.

-------------------------------
        Violence never settles anything
        -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Mouse caused mine. I switched to left hand, and went with a crossbow. I tried going back to my bow but as soon as I start shooting with bow, it flares up and hurts like the dickens...

Comment

Typing hurts mine. I try to type one-handed now. Anything that causes your palm to be in a face-down position will put stress on that tendon. Ive learned to keep the palm up, especially when I lift something, and keep my elbow close to my side. Turning a doorknob, screwdriver, or a wrench is a no-no.

Comment

Cortisone shot does the trick for me. I have had them at the beginning of several summers and had no recurring issues the rest of the year.

Comment

I got it bad in 2010 in both elbows from hammering. It didn't affect me being able to draw a bow but it certainly limited a lot of other activities. I first went to a sports doctor who gave me braces and cortisone shots which made the pain go away - temporarily. A neighbor has it from tennis & sent me to his chiropractor - no luck.

Finally a guy in the Austin SCI club who's also a chiropractor noticed the braces and asked if I was having tennis elbow. He said they work on joint issues like that and to come by. Having nothing to loose, I did. First thing he said was quit doing whatever's aggravating it (should have been obvious!) He treated it with premod - basically running electricity through tendons. I sit in front of a computer running a mouse all day so I got an ergonomic mouse; your hand is rotated outwards when you grip it. Takes a little getting used to. I also iced them down whenever pain flared up, which could be a couple times a day. Wrap freeze packs in a towel and wrap them around your elbows.
                It SLOWLY started getting better after a couple of months. I still go in for treatment once every 2 months just to keep it at bay. It's a chronic problem that can pop up again. However now I can hammer or run a chainsaw without the arm braces.

The chiropractor (and good friend) is Jerel Wottrich @ First Chiropractic in Austin.

Comment

I actually play tennis twice a week and ice hockey twice a week. BOTH contribute to the tennis elbow. I now wear a brace which helps tremendously. I actually aggravated it badly before using a brace when trying to shoot my bow for practice. I pulled back my bow to about full draw and right before I met the threshold I lost strength and a quick involuntary letdown happened and my arm snapped back down firmly. I thought I tore something. It hurt so bad. Needless to say I will most likely need to drop down from 60 to around 53 pounds or so.

Comment

Too bad you weren't in San Marcos. I'd fix it for you and then show you how to keep it away

Comment

Working...
                    X