Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me choose Reloading Rookie

I want to start reloading ammo

Not mass produced bulk ammo, rather handloaded precision ammo.

I'm looking at the Redding T-7 turret press and like what I see, but some reviewers like it and other don't.

Others say buy a Dillon.

I don't what a starter kit, I want something I won't want to upgrade in 1-2 years.

Anybody have insight on this? what should I buy/look for?

thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Single stage RCBS Rock chucker

Comment

Originally posted by Skyjunky View Post
      Single stage RCBS Rock chucker
      X2

Comment

For precision reloading, a good single stage press is all that's needed. A starter kit is exactly what you need IMO, because you ARE just starting. A few items might be upgraded through the years, but I can load anything I want to with a " starter kit ". If you start forming brass or swaging bullets you are beyond " starting ".

Comment

Originally posted by 512robby View Post
          I want to start reloading ammo

Not mass produced bulk ammo, rather handloaded precision ammo.

I'm looking at the Redding T-7 turret press and like what I see, but some reviewers like it and other don't.

Others say buy a Dillon.

I don't what a starter kit, I want something I won't want to upgrade in 1-2 years.

Anybody have insight on this? what should I buy/look for?

thoughts and opinions appreciated.
          I'd personally buy the Forster Co-Ax if you want to do it right the first time. You can change dies just a fast as you can turn a turret press. But you can't go wrong with either of your choices. Just depends on whether you eventually want to go progressive or not.

How much do you shoot?
          Do you plan to reload handgun calibers?
          What is your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            For precision reloading, a good single stage press is all that's needed..
            No, it's not. They will make acceptable ammo but they don't do precision reloads unless you get really, really, lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
              X2
              As all have stated single stage rock trucker press.
              A good scale, trimmer etc...

Do lots of research and piece it together

Enjoy the new addition

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                No, it's not. They will make acceptable ammo but they don't do precision reloads unless you get really, really, lucky.
                It's a matter of dies.

Comment

I personally started with (and still have) a lee classic turret and started reloading for pistol rounds only. I've been very happy with the performance from the press and don't think I'll ever get rid of it. After a while I decided to start reloading for rifle. I still use the lee classic turret for decapping, resizing, and expanding necks before neck turning. I'm using an arbor press with wilson hand dies for seating my bullets.

My next press purchase will be a forster co-ax (won't be getting rid of my lee classic turret or arbor press!). I'd probably go with the forster over a rock chucker, personal preference though.

For me the T7 always seemed to have too many slots for dies. I really can't see myself needing 7 dies reloading for one caliber.

For your purposes I wouldn't suggest getting a dillon unless your really wanting to crank out ammo. 100-200 rounds of precision ammo can easily be done on a single stage press. How many rounds do you typically shoot on one shooting session?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                    It's a matter of dies.
                    Good dies help no doubt. But what are the odds that the ram is in perfect alignment with those dies. And is the shellholder in perfect alignment. You can minimize those problems with the Forster Co-ax as you don't need a shell holder and your dies "float" to align with the cartridge case. You can eliminate those problems with Wilson dies and an arbor press.

Comment

I'd personally buy the Forster Co-Ax if you want to do it right the first time. You can change dies just a fast as you can turn a turret press. But you can't go wrong with either of your choices. Just depends on whether you eventually want to go progressive or not.

How much do you shoot?

Do you plan to reload handgun calibers?

What is your budget?

Total budget is around $800

But that would be everything

I don't bulk shoot
                      But enjoy precision shooting rifles AR's included

I won't be doing progressive reloading and I do not shoot often enough to justify that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                        I personally started with (and still have) a lee classic turret and started reloading for pistol rounds only. I've been very happy with the performance from the press and don't think I'll ever get rid of it. After a while I decided to start reloading for rifle. I still use the lee classic turret for decapping, resizing, and expanding necks before neck turning. I'm using an arbor press with wilson hand dies for seating my bullets.

My next press purchase will be a forster co-ax (won't be getting rid of my lee classic turret or arbor press!). I'd probably go with the forster over a rock chucker, personal preference though.

For me the T7 always seemed to have too many slots for dies. I really can't see myself needing 7 dies reloading for one caliber.

For your purposes I wouldn't suggest getting a dillon unless your really wanting to crank out ammo. 100-200 rounds of precision ammo can easily be done on a single stage press. How many rounds do you typically shoot on one shooting session?

No more than 100

I really appreciate the advice

Comment

Good dies help no doubt. But what are the odds that the ram is in perfect alignment with those dies. And is the shellholder in perfect alignment. You can minimize those problems with the Forster Co-ax as you don't need a shell holder and your dies "float" to align with the cartridge case. You can eliminate those problems with Wilson dies and an arbor press.

Where does a person shop for a Forster coax?

The alignment issue is evident in the reviews of the T-7

Comment

Originally posted by 512robby View Post
                            No more than 100

I really appreciate the advice

Just found it at midwayusa.com

Disregard last

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                              X2
                              That's the press I've been using for the last 45 years....before that I had 2 Herters. A double ram and a single ram. I think there was enough iron in the double ram to build 3 rockchuckers. I 've always believed in doing it one stage at a time. Clean...resize....trim...reprime...weigh sack load with a balance beam...dump powder...seat bullets...takes time but I know it's done right and its a part o f hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X