No announcement yet.

Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started in January. I'm down 50 lbs. I've been slacking and haven't worked out in 2-3 weeks due to being on night shift. I'll get back into it. Elk gonna die son!!

Comment

I like the idea of training with a future hunt as the carrot. I've been wanting to do an elk hunt for years.

Comment

I'm at 225 and have found only two people that can keep up with me.

Also helps I'm in the mountains several times a week .

It does help your body to be lighter, but there are so many other factors to kicking arse in the mountains. Look at guys like the late/great Roy Roth and Cam Hanes, these aren't small guys and they kill it on the mtn.
        Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 05-30-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          I started in January. I'm down 50 lbs. I've been slacking and haven't worked out in 2-3 weeks due to being on night shift. I'll get back into it. Elk gonna die son!!
          Nights has been killing me too

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
            I'm at 225 and have found only two people that can keep up with me.

Also helps I'm in the mountains several times a week .

It does help your body to be lighter, but there are so many other factors.
            Big difference lol

When I was on my spring bear hunt the late Roy Roth would absolutely leave me in the dust going up and down. No way he was under 300lb but he did it everyday

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Nights has been killing me too
              Dadgum coffee and munchies kill me on nights and if I work out in the morning when I get off it keeps me up. If I work out before I go to work at night it makes me tired. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
                This in an interesting thread....growing up hunting muleys and elk in the high country, I never understood why getting into "mountain hunter" shape was so important! It doesnt take hiking 10 miles into the wilderness to kill an elk or deer! More importantly, do some homework, study maps, and get some scouting in! I do understand that there are some areas that require a bit more work due to pressure, but it seems some go to the extreme!! I give some serious credit to those who hike in 5+ miles solo, kill an animal, and pack it out....all by themselves!! I just feel like there is an easier way! Good luck to all those who prepare for the worst though! I wish nothing but the best (easiest)!!
                dont get me wrong, I completely agree with you. You DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN SHAPE TO KILL A ELK!! I understand that. However it sure makes it much more enjoyable. The area I drew this year has very few roads. I applied for the unit because of this. Less access translated into way less people applying and in return I drew my tag. On top of that If it werent for those dang critters I would have no drive to get into better shape. But there are times where the ability to run and cut off an animal may be the difference between killing one and bring home your tag.

Comment

Please allow me to brag about my "backyard" for a moment...

Unfortunately, I know it's almost impossible to find a place to work out like this in Texas.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You can't simulate altitude. The masks to limit air still aren't the same as actually being at 11,000'. If you work for a living and have other things going on in your life, you can't workout 4-8 hours per day either. If you live in Texas and have a job, you really can't full prepare for a backpack hunt at high elevation. You CAN build strength and endurance through exercise. You CAN lose some weight to make life a little easier. You CAN get comfortable with your boots and pack and gear. All of those things that you can do will make it easier. But you will still feel it when you're at 11,000' with a pack on your back. Just be as fit as you can be when you get there and take care of your feet like your hunt depends on them (it does).

Comment

I started my 2018 mountain hunt training about 5 months ago. Started at 5-8 @ 225 with zero cardio. I've had various levels of cardio during my short life. I have raced bicycles and have done long endurance races. But after having had 2 knee surgeries, I do not run.
                      I remember one time I took a trip to California on business and decided to spend a few days in Yosemite and hiked a bunch of miles and a lot of elevation. It was pretty brutal, but fun. Coming from Houston, I had not done a lot of elevation, but I had walked a ton of miles, so I had a base. I took a trip to Colorado and rode a bike there. The elevation was a challenge, so was the thin air... but hydration is paramount... and I had ridden a ton of miles... so I had a base.

My plan is to get lean... and establish a base. According to my vivofit, I have walked 1700 miles in the past 5 months. I have lost 42lbs and I have done some weight lifting to preserve and increase my upper body mass. On average, I walk 10-12 miles a day, but often walk 15.

I have started doing weight training for my lower body... and strength has come quickly because I have established a base. I now mix it up a little more and add the rowing machine for full body and high heart rate cardio. But the uncomfortable is manageable, because I have put in the miles.

I've listened to others and their best advice has all been the same. The most important thing is your feet. Good boots... boots that are broken in... and feet that are used to the miles. It is hard to replicate the mountains with crossfit, etc. The only thing that counts is the miles.

When I was training for races, a fellow racer who was a top guy in our state once told me that you need to train on less. And a professional racer made a comment that being good is all about making a lot of deposits in the pain bank, so you can make a big withdrawal later. And it isn't always physical... some people can get over the pain and some can't and lift.

So in my mind, it is going to suck. It is going to hurt. I won't be able to train fully for the initial efforts. But what I can do is establish a base. Get my feet used to walking 20+ miles a day (already there.) Build some strength... and push myself to suffer again, so when it hurts on the mountain... and IT WILL HURT... I'll be able to tap into those past 19 months and likely 6,000 miles and say "I suffered then... why not suffer a little more!"

Just to paint a little picture of how sadistic I am... when I wake up in the middle of the night, and my hip flexors are on fire because I walked 30,000 steps AND did 50 thrusters, etc at the gym, I think to myself... this is what it is going to feel like when I wake up on day 2 in the mountains after walking just a few miles.... and I can't wait!!!! I like to suffer for a good hunt. In fact... the difference between a good hunt and a great hunt really boils down to how much suffering and discomfort was involved either during the hunt or leading up to the hunt. I expect some discomfort... I think that is part of the allure.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                        Don't get me wrong legs and lungs are important good to be able to climb but something that gets overlooked is getting your feet used to going downhill with weight. You will be in pain if your feet aren't ready. I've been easing into my workouts. 6'2" and down from 210 to 190 since March. Cut out junk sugars and just cleaned the diet a little bit. Plenty of legs and cardio in there as well. I have no mountain hunt this year but getting a jump start on Aug '18 sheep hunt

Made it out this morning with my boots and pack and hit Guadalupe Peak. Easy money going up but my feet got sore coming down on the last mile so they need to toughen up more still. Good news is my boots only had 3 miles of flatland on them before the hike and I had no blisters or bad ]
                        Your big advantage along with the elevation gains is the rock and sand. Walking up and down that is hard to replicate at a stadium or gym. Just being able to develop those tendons used when stepping on and in rock and sand is a plus.

Take the slaughter canyon trail and the trail in the canyon just to the south. You have several short 4-6 hour trails in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          I started my 2018 mountain hunt training about 5 months ago. Started at 5-8 @ 225 with zero cardio. I've had various levels of cardio during my short life. I have raced bicycles and have done long endurance races. But after having had 2 knee surgeries, I do not run.

I remember one time I took a trip to California on business and decided to spend a few days in Yosemite and hiked a bunch of miles and a lot of elevation. It was pretty brutal, but fun. Coming from Houston, I had not done a lot of elevation, but I had walked a ton of miles, so I had a base. I took a trip to Colorado and rode a bike there. The elevation was a challenge, so was the thin air... but hydration is paramount... and I had ridden a ton of miles... so I had a base.

My plan is to get lean... and establish a base. According to my vivofit, I have walked 1700 miles in the past 5 months. I have lost 42lbs and I have done some weight lifting to preserve and increase my upper body mass. On average, I walk 10-12 miles a day, but often walk 15.

I have started doing weight training for my lower body... and strength has come quickly because I have established a base. I now mix it up a little more and add the rowing machine for full body and high heart rate cardio. But the uncomfortable is manageable, because I have put in the miles.

I've listened to others and their best advice has all been the same. The most important thing is your feet. Good boots... boots that are broken in... and feet that are used to the miles. It is hard to replicate the mountains with crossfit, etc. The only thing that counts is the miles.

When I was training for races, a fellow racer who was a top guy in our state once told me that you need to train on less. And a professional racer made a comment that being good is all about making a lot of deposits in the pain bank, so you can make a big withdrawal later. And it isn't always physical... some people can get over the pain and some can't and lift.

So in my mind, it is going to suck. It is going to hurt. I won't be able to train fully for the initial efforts. But what I can do is establish a base. Get my feet used to walking 20+ miles a day (already there.) Build some strength... and push myself to suffer again, so when it hurts on the mountain... and IT WILL HURT... I'll be able to tap into those past 19 months and likely 6,000 miles and say "I suffered then... why not suffer a little more!"

Just to paint a little picture of how sadistic I am... when I wake up in the middle of the night, and my hip flexors are on fire because I walked 30,000 steps AND did 50 thrusters, etc at the gym, I think to myself... this is what it is going to feel like when I wake up on day 2 in the mountains after walking just a few miles.... and I can't wait!!!! I like to suffer for a good hunt. In fact... the difference between a good hunt and a great hunt really boils down to how much suffering and discomfort was involved either during the hunt or leading up to the hunt. I expect some discomfort... I think that is part of the allure.

Me and you would get along great!!! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            Your big advantage along with the elevation gains is the rock and sand. Walking up and down that is hard to replicate at a stadium or gym. Just being able to develop those tendons used when stepping on and in rock and sand is a plus.

Take the slaughter canyon trail and the trail in the canyon just to the south. You have several short 4-6 hour trails in that area.
                            Cool I'll check them out. My rig is here about 45 minutes away so I'm sure I'll do some any chance I get. I'll be here for quite a while I think too so I should be able to stage it up with my pack weight and really train how I need to. 3000' elevation gain isn't anything to sneeze at with weight that's for sure

Comment

Tag. No hunts planned this year but I need to get back on my training schedule.

Does anyone have a weighted vest they would recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                                Tag. No hunts planned this year but I need to get back on my training schedule.

Does anyone have a weighted vest they would recommend?
                                Yelp called a pack and a sand bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X