No announcement yet.

Advice on storm shelters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been curious about the ones that are installed into an existing garage floor. I even thought about installing them as a side gig. I would be afraid of the house falling on the door and trapping you in there. Anybody ever had one of these installed?

Comment

I have a relatively small yard and was wondering the same thing

Comment

I have a 40 foot conex for storage. Next week im going to drill 3-4 holes per side for anchors points for steel cables i plan to go over the top of it.
        I believe if it is anchored well enough it will be a good shelter

Comment

in

Comment

Has anyone gotten the FEMA grant?

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
              I have been curious about the ones that are installed into an existing garage floor. I even thought about installing them as a side gig. I would be afraid of the house falling on the door and trapping you in there. Anybody ever had one of these installed?
              We looked into this but we have a post tension slab so it was not an option for us. We ended up getting a 4x6 bolted into the garage. All in cost was $3500 I believe. Was a year or two ago. Company we used was called Stormdorms, they were family run and easy to work with.

Comment

Having seen the devastation tornados have caused, I have seen only one above ground shelter that survived a direct hit, it was in Oklahoma City, poured concrete safe room she used as a clothes closet. She lost her first house to a tornado, and had her safe closet added when she rebuilt. It was all that was left after the second one. Anything else above ground is a waste of good cash. Just my opinion.
                Last edited by furtrapper; 05-21-2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                  We have one. 80% of it is under my wife's SUV. U can slide the all steel door open with a pin that's on a chain with one push of your foot. The theory is the the car will take most of the weight if the house collapses. On the inside is a heavy duty come along that will move a lot of weight. I don't remember how much, but quite a bit. They have videos on their website. www.flatsafe.com
                  Hope I never have to use it, but I have peace of mind if we need to. More importantly, my wife has peace of mind...lol
                  I keep a case of water and some crackers and snacks for the kiddos.

Comment

According to FEMA and the west texas lab that sets the FEMA standard, no one has ever been killed in a FEMA rated shelter, above or below ground. And there have been a few above ground that were hit by F5s in OK and MO in the last few years. So saying the above ground arent as safe, is not true

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                      in
                      you can come see ours

Comment

Jarrell Storm Shelters offers Storm Shelters and Safe Rooms. We also deliver and install in Texas! Let us help you keep you and your family safe!

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                          you can come see ours
                          I saw yours right after it was installed....
                          Last edited by Stan R; 05-22-2017, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                            According to FEMA and the west texas lab that sets the FEMA standard, no one has ever been killed in a FEMA rated shelter, above or below ground. And there have been a few above ground that were hit by F5s in OK and MO in the last few years. So saying the above ground arent as safe, is not true
                            Air travel is by far the safest form of transportation. The statistics prove it! But having worked two airliner crashes, I know sometimes anomalies in the stats show up without warning. I'll take my shelter subterranean.

Having said that, I know below ground can theoretically flood and all of them can be blocked by debris.

In the end, to each his own.

Originally posted by dogman11 View Post
                            That's impressive!
                            Last edited by JP135; 05-22-2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by furtrapper View Post
                              Having seen the devastation tornados have caused, I have seen only one above ground shelter that survived a direct hit, it was in Oklahoma City, poured concrete safe room she used as a clothes closet. She lost her first house to a tornado, and had her safe closet added when she rebuilt. It was all that was left after the second one. Anything else above ground is a waste of good cash. Just my opinion.
                              Would you suggest that the millions of folks who do not have the option for a below ground shelter simply sit in their bed room and wait for certain death?

Comment

Here's mine being installed last year. 7x7x49. Installed 3800.00. If they have to dig thru rocks there an additional pricing. I'll have to dig up the gents name and number if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X