• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to catch 25 that are in the 15" +/- range

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      I like to catch 25 that are in the 15" +/- range

15" is pretty big in some parts over there, 12" hits the box more than any other!

Comment

How many of the undersized, released speckled trout really survive?
        The majority of hook-caught speckled trout survive when released. Louisiana conducted a 18-month study ending in 1995 on the survival of released speckled trout. The survival rate depended on the fishing method. Treble hook artificials had a 97% survival rate, single hook artificials were 91%, treble hook with bait had 83%, and single hook with bait was 74%. The overall average survival rate was 82.5%. Research done in 1984 in Texas showed a survival rate of 73%, and a Georgia study, done in 1990, showed a 63.8% rate.

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        At the other end of the spectrum I've always wondered what the survival rate is on undersized trout that have been released. There are times under the lights that we might catch 5-6 undersized for every keeper. Even when lip hooked some of them are pretty torn up - I'd like to think they heal and survive but there is no way to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          Not gonna happen. Any legal fish I catch is going in the box. I go a handful of times a year so I'm not hurting a thing.
          Me too....and I use crokers!

Comment

Walker you had to have known that the smart asses would pop up but I appreciate you posting the reminder.

It's a shame that some people judge a fishing trip as a success only by the number of fish in their cooler.

Hopefully there are enough of us who release the big girls to spawn again and again. The 5 trout per person per day limit has helped the areas that it covers a lot so that's a huge help.

Comment

All big girls go back....unless I catch a 30 then she's going on my wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                Walker you had to have known that the smart asses would pop up but I appreciate you posting the reminder.

It's a shame that some people judge a fishing trip as a success only by the number of fish in their cooler.

Hopefully there are enough of us who release the big girls to spawn again and again. The 5 trout per person per day limit has helped the areas that it covers a lot so that's a huge help.
                I enjoy fishing but I fish to catch fish to eat. So I do judge my trip as a success on the number of fish in the cooler. And I get more meat off the bigger ones so I keep them. Who gives a crud how people judge their successful fishing trip. You fish how you want and us shameful fishermen will fish how we want.

Comment

Trout Fun Fact of the Day:
                  The maximum age of spotted seatrout that have been caught is estimated to be 12 years old, though that is rare, and the oldest fish caught on a regular basis are closer to four or five years old.

Comment

Thanks Buzz, there is a lot of great info out there. If you read the hatchery data it shows that the four year old females are the ones that produce around 200,000 thousand eggs per hatch while the older females produce up to 1 million per hatch. This is actually the main reason behind releasing the bigger, older, females and why TPWD but a one fish over 25'' limit. Just like the reference to big deer it is more of a management practice.

Again, I didn't start this thread as a way that bashed someone for what they keep, some just get their feelings hurt easy. I simply asked that people consider it when having a good day.
                    Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                    Trout Fun Fact of the Day:
                    The maximum age of spotted seatrout that have been caught is estimated to be 12 years old, though that is rare, and the oldest fish caught on a regular basis are closer to four or five years old.

Comment

MOST people who hunt/fish "solely for the meat" are the same ones who spend 10's of thousands of dollars on select sports because "how else are they going to get a scholarship".

Fishing/hunting for your meat is not a financially sound decision, for most (that is, if it is just about the meat). Just like the money being spent on high dollar select sports being better invested in a diverse portfolio versus banking on the fact that your 10 year old is going to be the next Mike Trout.

Then again, if you love to fish and you love watching your kids compete then spend your money however you choose. Just don't say it's all about the meat and scholarships.

Comment

I practice catch and release almost exclusively

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                          MOST people who hunt/fish "solely for the meat" are the same ones who spend 10's of thousands of dollars on select sports because "how else are they going to get a scholarship".

Interesting made up analogy. I'd like to see the numbers behind that..
                          Last edited by Smart; 05-16-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Fishing/hunting for your meat is not a financially sound decision, for most (that is, if it is just about the meat). Just like the money being spent on high dollar select sports being better invested in a diverse portfolio versus banking on the fact that your 10 year old is going to be the next Mike Trout.

Then again, if you love to fish and you love watching your kids compete then spend your money however you choose. Just don't say it's all about the meat and scholarships.
                            This

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat70 View Post
                              I practice catch and release almost exclusively
                              Me too. Unless someone asks for fish. But the Nannys go back.

Comment

so catch and release fishing IS a financially sound decision?

I've yet to see someone say they hunt/fish ONLY for the meat. The meat is one of many reasons I hunt and fish, but I ain't throwing back keepers unless I'm having a great day and catching a lot. Which is exactly what the OP is saying.
                                Last edited by JustinJ; 05-16-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X