Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Keto diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I cut out pop / soda all out 2 years ago (I was a 2 liter Diet Coke per day fiend). I pretty much drink only water w/ Mio? Is that bad?

Comment

The “eat balanced” or “calories in < calories out” diets are all well and good until you reach your 50s when the age-related shift in hormone levels begins to affect your body’s regulation of insulin. At the end of the day, your body’s ability to gain/maintain/lose subcutaneous or visceral adipose tissue (that nasty fat that deposits itself around your middle—or your ***** if you’re a woman) is the entirely dependent on insulin sensitivity.

If you’ve ever wondered why skinny people have big tummies or why the diet you’re on works for a while before you hit that frustrating “plateau,” insulin sensitivity is your answer. Bottom line: you have to lower your blood glucose and hemo A1c levels to achieve and sustain significant and permanent weight loss.

One of my doctors recommended the book The Obesity Code when I mentioned my frustration over my inability to rid myself of adipose (fat) tissue. The book was written by an endocrinologist who specializes in renal disease in diabetics. He has amalgamated numerous studies to illustrate the effects of insulin sensitivity on weight management and has created dietary and eating recommendations that actually LOWER blood sugar levels (similar to Keto and Atkins) so weight/fat loss is immediate and, more importantly, sustained.

Let me know if any of you try the changes recommended in the book. My commitment has been only half-hearted up to this point (I refuse to let go of the cocktails I enjoy so much) but, in those instances where I’ve followed the author’s recommendations, I’ve noticed good results (then someone invites me to Happy Hour and the wheels fall right off the bus!)

Anyway, let me know.

Comment

I did keto a while back and went from 300 to 230 over the span of about 8 months. Other than dropping all the water weight early on, it's just a constant grind. I ended up eating carbs again due to the holidays that year.

The big thing to remember is that you also have to limit your protein intake as well. If you eat too much protein then your body will convert surplus protein to carbs and throw you out of keto anyway. You're going to end up getting most of your caloric intake from animal fats.

Duke's sausages are good for keto; they have almost no carbs.

A fringe benefit is your dental health will be excellent. No carbs means no tooth decay.

Just remember, the food pyramid was a lie! haha

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          You don't have to eat junk and definitely not the same thing all the time. I love BBQ so end up eating a LOT of that, but just gobbled up some Tamale Pie the wife made me. There's a lot of great keto compliant foods. You just need to find sources for recipes, she even crushes up pork rinds and somehow makes me tortillas out of them and makes me pancakes for breakfast out of cream cheese, it's like magic. I love all the caveman keto stuff on instagram but don't think we've used a single one of the recipes because we're busy with all the other variety we've found elsewhere.

As for the diet, you'll get a lot of blah blah don't need keto diet replies from people who don't understand it. In the end it's a diet just like the rest. I can lose weight or gain weight on any diet and I've done quite a few, in the gym I make my best gains with a classic 40/40/20 and my lifts go up, same diet I can drop lbs seemingly at-will. No matter the case though I get the glucose ups and downs and need coffee or lack energy at certain times of the day. That's not the case with keto, once I'm in ketosis I have smooth constant energy the entire day, sleep better, less moody, etc. The only thing I'll say is if you enjoy running, like long distance running or extremely long cardio sessions then this is not the type of diet for you.

Man,I agreed with all you said until your last statement. I’ve been on this keto diet for over a year and have run multiple half-marathons and 2-3 hour bike rides, no problemo. Fat is your fuel now.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
            Man,I agreed with all you said until your last statement. I’ve been on this keto diet for over a year and have run multiple half-marathons and 2-3 hour bike rides, no problemo. Fat is your fuel now.
            x2. You're basically living in your "second wind" when you're in ketosis. One time right as I was getting into ketosis, I went almost an hour on an elliptical, having gotten distracted watching some tv show, and only noticed the time had passed after the show was over. I'd ended up going like 9 miles in like 55 min, by far a personal best for time, distance, and average mile time. The thing was I never once got tired or hit any kind of a wall. I was able to repeat this effect many times.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
              Thank you. I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks. Hardest part, ain't gunna lie. My beer intake
              Michelob Ultra is your beer. Also check out Shiner, Ruby Red Bird, surprisingly low cal/low carb.

Comment

Working...
              X