Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does venison keep in the freezer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum sealed. Years. Not. Months

Comment

Venison will stay in a freezer until someone takes it out.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
        Depends on how well it was packaged.......
        Indeed! I've got some cryovac'd venison/beef I laid flat, and was in the bottom of deep freeze with a date of 12-11-10 and it's great. Also had some catfish from less than a year ago in a ziploc that was freezer burned and had to go out.

Comment

Vacuum seal mine and easily lasts 3-4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We just moved a month ago. In the freezer, we found...

Bighorn from 2014
            Oryx from 2012
            Deer from 2011

Oryx tasted great, deer did look bad. I'm making the sheep soon.

Comment

If it's in a vacuum sealed pack and NON frost free freezer it'll last several years.

Comment

They say two years paper wrapped and three years vacuum sealed. I have eating meat longer than these vacumm sealed and was fine. Recently I've been cleaning out the freezers and have found a bunch of 2009 and 2010 deer meat, axis, elk, water buffalo and bison. I've been boiling it down and mixing with my dogs feed at night. Not going to waist and she loves it. Lol.

Comment

Grandfather would double wrap venison in butcher paper. 2 Years later you might have heard, "Son just cut off that bit of freezer burn, it'll be OK"...and it generally was.

Nowadays I wrap all meat in saran wrap then double wrap with freezer paper. 2 year old meat...no burn, looked great, tasted great.

Comment

As long as air doesn't get to it while frozen, it should be fine!

Comment

Properly vacuum sealed I had had mine stay good for 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
                        Grandfather would double wrap venison in butcher paper. 2 Years later you might have heard, "Son just cut off that bit of freezer burn, it'll be OK"...and it generally was.

Nowadays I wrap all meat in saran wrap then double wrap with freezer paper. 2 year old meat...no burn, looked great, tasted great.
                        Ditto. I tried the vacuum pack and it just couldn't stop the freeze burn. Double wrapped freezer paper - my grandfather had some for more than 10 years and it was perfectly fine to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
                          8 years is pushing it a bit for me. But I have no problem eating 2 year old venison.
                          X2

Comment

Working...
                          X