Flying with a firearm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with a firearm?

Going one a trip in june and wanting to take my CCW with me.. Can anyone give me some pointers one a plane with a gun? I was thinking in my carry on?? lol Jk but really Who has done it? Big deal?

I for on have never flown with a firearm but joking about taking on carry one should probably not go any further than the green screen. Black suited men might come find you.

Get a good case and check the weapon with your bags and things should be fine. I'm sure the airline you're flying with has something more helpful on their website
    Last edited by Texifornia; 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Flying with a firearm?

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
      Going one a trip in june and wanting to take my CCW with me.. Can anyone give me some pointers one a plane with a gun? I was thinking in my carry on?? lol Jk but really Who has done it? Big deal?

Please video....and tell them "it's ok to carry on because you are wearing your pawnshop bulletproof vest!"...

Comment

Checked baggage only in a lockable hard sided container. You fill out a form at the check in counter and declare it. Piece of cake really.

Just be careful on United. They are hard to deal with apparently!!

Comment

I fly with mine quite a bit. There are rules for each airline and rules for TSA. Contact the airline your are flying first. Usually I tell them I am flying with firearms. They will take your bags to the TSA agents for inspection. Your firearm must be unloaded and clear. Some airlines put special tags on the bags.

Comment

Done it to Az and Ak. Locked case in your checked baggage. Unloaded of course. It was very easy and I had no issues. Google the rules for whichever airline you are flying and follow them. It's no big deal.

Comment

I fly with firearms all the time. In your case the handgun needs to be stowed in an approved flight case. Only you have the key and it has to go in checked baggage. When checking in with the airlines declare you have a handgun/longarm and they will direct you on what to do. In most cases you have to sign a TSA card saying that the firearm is unloaded and then show that the firearm is unloaded.

Case in point last week when declaring a handgun at the airlines kiosk the person there wanted proof that it was unloaded. I had to show her and sign the card and lock it up with the weapon. I then go to TSA checkpoint and had to take the card out for the TSA agent and it was placed on the outside of the case. So checking in firearms is one of those things that change with the airline/airport and the TSA so don't assume the procedure is the same everytime you fly.
              95%'s of the time it's really no big deal but I would allow a little extra time as the other 5% it's a hassle...... it just depends.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                I fly with firearms all the time. In your case the handgun needs to be stowed in an approved flight case. Only you have the key and it has to go in checked baggage. When checking in with the airlines declare you have a handgun/longarm and they will direct you on what to do. In most cases you have to sign a TSA card saying that the firearm is unloaded and then show that the firearm is unloaded.

Case in point last week when declaring a handgun at the airlines kiosk the person there wanted proof that it was unloaded. I had to show her and sign the card and lock it up with the weapon. I then go to TSA checkpoint and had to take the card out for the TSA agent and it was placed on the outside of the case. So checking in firearms is one of those things that change with the airline/airport and the TSA so don't assume the procedure is the same everytime you fly.
                95%'s of the time it's really no big deal but I would allow a little extra time as the other 5% it's a hassle...... it just depends.
                this is all correct. the only difference i have is Ive never been asked to show them that it was unloaded. just locked up.

Comment

Case, unload, lock, check it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

So you can have ammo in the locked case right? Just the forearm can't be loaded??

Comment

So long as you are not Asian, flying on United Airlines or the flight is overbooked. You should be ok.
                      Last edited by CrookedArrow; 04-11-2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Only thing to add is that the lock needs to be non TSA lock.

Also check carry laws in the state you are going too

Comment

I'll tell you this....If anyone can **** this up, it's you, Webstertroy. Please do whatever you think best and then post it on TBH......we'll comment then.

Comment

Flying with a firearm?

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                            Only thing to add is that the lock needs to be non TSA lock.

Also check carry laws in the state you are going too

Correct. NO ONE should be able to open your case without you there even TSA. use locks that don't have the tsa hole.

Originally posted by sendit View Post

Good advice here

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                            So you can have ammo in the locked case right? Just the forearm can't be loaded??

I usually keep ammo in a separate locked case ammo must be in an ammo approved box and not loose rounds rolling around in a locked box. Keep your ammo in factory boxes locked in a case. Some airlines consider loaded magazines as an approved ammo holder.

Webstertroy,

Being that you are you and Murphy Law follows you around I wouldn't have loaded magazines.

Are you flying in state or outta state?

Comment

Originally posted by recar View Post
                              I fly with mine quite a bit. There are rules for each airline and rules for TSA. Contact the airline your are flying first. Usually I tell them I am flying with firearms. They will take your bags to the TSA agents for inspection. Your firearm must be unloaded and clear. Some airlines put special tags on the bags.

^^^This. VERY important to check with the airline first. Each one has its own standards and rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X