Help building back my St. Augustine Grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help building back my St. Augustine Grass

I need help building back my St. Augustine grass.

Threw rye seed this winter and regretted it right away. I have thrown milogranite this past month and I'm trying to grow my st Augustine back and have a great green lawn again.

Please give me inputs guys

Get some replacement sod, till, laydown the sod and water

Comment

Just water it and along the edge of where your good grass is, it will come back

Comment

I've been watering it every few days now. If it doesn't come back this year I'm definitely residing.. just didn't want to pay.. it was green as could be last year and burnt it over fertilizing it.. new home owner so didn't know

Comment

water water water

Comment

Water only in the morning....And not every day

Comment

Get some compost and put a thin layer of about a 1/4'' in all of the bad spots. Keep it watered as the compost is hot and can burn it if put too thick.
              Come back in a few weeks and get you some Medina fertilizer (its all organic and won't burn your lawn). It has helped my yard tremendously instead of using the normal weed and feed stuff.

Comment

How many days would you suggest? How many other days to water? I usually water at night. I see runners here and there I just don't want to spend $1000 to re sod

Comment

I know a lot of people like St. Augustine, but a lot of communities are enacting ordnances to prohibit new sodding due to the high amount of water it needs, not only at sodding but for the life of it.

May I suggest you look into buffalo grass or eastern gamma grass? They are native grasses that are highly drought tolerant and only need to be mowed about 4-6 times a year - after the seed heads develop. They only grow 4 inches high and they have very soft leaves which are a pleasure to walk barefoot through.

Just a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzy View Post
                    How many days would you suggest? How many other days to water? I usually water at night. I see runners here and there I just don't want to spend $1000 to re sod
                    Right now you can water 1-2 times a week. Ideal times is 4-7 am to prevent fungus and disease so the grass can dry out during the day

WHen it gets hot then water 2-3 times a week.

It is better to water more each time then water several times a week. Soak the ground each time and reduce the # of days

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      I know a lot of people like St. Augustine, but a lot of communities are enacting ordnances to prohibit new sodding due to the high amount of water it needs, not only at sodding but for the life of it.

May I suggest you look into buffalo grass or eastern gamma grass? They are native grasses that are highly drought tolerant and only need to be mowed about 4-6 times a year - after the seed heads develop. They only grow 4 inches high and they have very soft leaves which are a pleasure to walk barefoot through.

Just a suggestion.
                      Are either of these easier to take care of than St. Augustine?
                      We're starting fresh, and I'd rather not have St. Augustine, if I can help it.

And thanks for the fence info!

Comment

At my last house I had a sprinkler system and had it set to water every morning at 3:00 am for 45 minutes per station. I had the lushest, greenest St. Augustine grass in the neighborhood. In my opinion, you can't water it enough unless it's just not draining off. Your grass looks very dry.

Comment

Look up Randy lemmon. He is the lawn guru for Houston.

Also, we get too much rain for buffalo grass to survive in Houston.

Comment

Follow this guy. He can grow a football field from one square of st augustine.

Comment

Put down a granular insecticide you may have grub worms. I got hit with last year and didn't know it. Treated the lawn and it is coming back slowly. Already treated it this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X