No announcement yet.

Business idea : food truck or trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any experience but my father in law had one for a couple of years when he first retired. They only did festivals and fair type events. He said it was hard, fun work but they made a lot of money in they few days per event.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
      I was gonna go cheap - fix up a beater truck/trailer with equipment for 10k or less and sell locally supplied farm fresh foods

Find out the rules and regs for where you want to set up first.

We service quite a few in Houston and they all seem to do well. 99.9999% of my accounts are brick and mortar with one food truck in P.A. She just opened up so don't know how she is going to do but her food is pretty tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
        I was gonna go cheap - fix up a beater truck/trailer with equipment for 10k or less and sell locally supplied farm fresh foods
        Fort Wort should be a good area to start up a food truck business. Heck you could probably park around the stockyards. it sounds like you already have a concept in mind.

Comment

I didn't read all replies, but what you are talking about is a full time job and must be a passion at that.

Comment

Just sell something different that appeals to the public. No clue what that is. Must be quick for truckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
              Fort Wort should be a good area to start up a food truck business. Heck you could probably park around the stockyards. it sounds like you already have a concept in mind.
              There are multiple food truck parks in FW and one is in the stockyards. Pretty sure you have to pay and reserve the spaces, can't just show up when you want

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Yep. The OP asks for people with experience and he gets a bunch of people with no experience telling him why it won't work. Hell, somebody is making it work, the things are all over Houston.
                Some of us have a lot of business experience (starting up, operating, and selling businesses) that chimed in. The numbers don't make much sense behind them. It doesn't take much fast food cooking experience to see that.

Comment

The best way is to attend festivals, rodeos, town celebrations, etc. It is a lot of work but is fun. We did a trailer at a July 4th celebration and grossed about $10k for the weekend. That same trailer grossed about $25k at an Indian Reservation rodeo. That was about 15 years ago.

Comment

Location is the key dad had a bbq hamburger snow cone stand he started when I was in high school it got busy open 6 day a week. My stepmom run it now but move it to another town on the place they live on not really busy now. But she was making 6oo of her stuff peppers a week to sell to stores she's got cancer again and is to busy with treatments and about to have surgery so she been closed

Comment

I know a guy that has three trucks, he makes a very good living, but like Moser said, full time and a passion is what it takes, I think if you don't have too much in it you can do the weekend gigs and make some decent money, I know another guy that just does kettle corn at events, he does really well.

Comment

I'd be happy making an extra $500 bucks net profit on any given friday/saturday - I'm not looking to make waves, just a ripple. if it were to take off and become something repeatable/franchise licensing, then so be it.

I just want to build a house and if I can make more on the weekend than my office will pay me in overtime, so be it. I've been told I make some great food, so that part should be easy.

Comment

I know quite a few people that have the concession trailers. New ones are expensive. Location is a key though. I have thought about doing a simple flatbed trailer with stuff like a griddle and fryer strapped to it and bringing it to work after hours when it is busy.

Comment

Working...
                          X