No announcement yet.

Question about fishing line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn to tie a proper knot. Easy as that. I bet all your break offs are at the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum9 View Post
      Another question now is what color is the best for all around fishing?
      How are you fishing fresh and salt all at once? Where are you? Buy another reel dude...

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
        I just re-spooled my main real with mono instead of putting braid on it again. I am just going to strip it all off now because that is exactly what it feels like. You really feel it when you try to set the hook with 60' of line out.
        Have you tried Flourocarbon? I use mono for topwaters, braid for frogs and Flourocarbon for everything else. I use KVD Line and Lure conditioner liberally while spooling the Flourocarbon. Flourocarbon is much more sensitive than mono.

Comment

I am not fishing fresh and salt water at the same time I just fish both throughout the year. I don't need any more reels just looking for a good suggestion on braided line for both applications. When it comes to the knot I tie the palomar knot and it has worked well for me for many years. I am just fishing a unique bass lake that calls for some stronger line and if I am going to replace my line I want it to work well in both fresh and salt water.

Comment

I'd blame knot tying proficiency before I blamed brands and type of line.

Comment

Never had any problems with braided line, I've used different ones but my favorite is Sunline FX2 Frogging & Flipping!

Comment

I'm old school. Still use 12 lb Big Game on every reel I have. Tough, great mono line.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  Learn to tie a proper knot. Easy as that. I bet all your break offs are at the eye.
                  What do you tie?

I use a heavy braid (50+) on my catfish rigs. Usually a sinker slide with beads on either side on the braid, which is tied with a palomar to a good ball bearing swivel. Then a 25 pound mono (big game) leader of 18" or so to the hook tied with standard clinch knots. I fish a very stumpy lake and I can't let the fish run much, hence the heavy braid. Hangups are common, and the mono is the weak link I can break off without having to cut a bunch of braid off. Very rarely do I break the braid, and that is only if the sinker gets fouled somewhere.

Comment

After tying put a mark on the line with a sharpie just above the not. After it breaks off, if the mark is there with a little extra line below it then you know it came untied.

Comment

Try using this Improved Palomar Knot with your braid. Fellow TBH'r who spends a lot of time on the water taught me to double it like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plWiMa1hla0"]How To Tie The STRONGEST Palomar Knot For Braid [Contest WINNER] - YouTube[/ame]

Originally posted by Possum9 View Post
                      I am not fishing fresh and salt water at the same time I just fish both throughout the year. I don't need any more reels just looking for a good suggestion on braided line for both applications. When it comes to the knot I tie the palomar knot and it has worked well for me for many years. I am just fishing a unique bass lake that calls for some stronger line and if I am going to replace my line I want it to work well in both fresh and salt water.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                        What do you tie?

I use a heavy braid (50+) on my catfish rigs. Usually a sinker slide with beads on either side on the braid, which is tied with a palomar to a good ball bearing swivel. Then a 25 pound mono (big game) leader of 18" or so to the hook tied with standard clinch knots. I fish a very stumpy lake and I can't let the fish run much, hence the heavy braid. Hangups are common, and the mono is the weak link I can break off without having to cut a bunch of braid off. Very rarely do I break the braid, and that is only if the sinker gets fouled somewhere.
                        I almost always use tie a Palomar know or the improved Trilene knot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                          Try using this Improved Palomar Knot with your braid. Fellow TBH'r who spends a lot of time on the water taught me to double it like this.

How To Tie The STRONGEST Palomar Knot For Braid [Contest WINNER] - YouTube
                          Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Wind Tamer is the best I have used. I also Like Power Pro slick. I use 30-40 pound test in braid. I only use mono for my light tackle crappie rigs.

Comment

Momoi Diamond Braid - Solid core in offshore blue. They also sell white, orange or brown braid colors. Made in the USA and it's been rock solid for me!

Momoi's lowest line test is 10 lbs.

If it works here.....it will work anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post

How To Tie The STRONGEST Palomar Knot For Braid [Contest WINNER] - YouTube

That's not necessary. Regular palomar works fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X