Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's probably a little too much. I use 4 or 5 different rod and reels

Comment

I mostly bass fish with mono, Suffix Siege in 14lb on 75% of my reels. I run seaguar redline on 3 of them. In the last 2 weeks I've caught over 300 bass, bank fishing Pines. Not a single break off. In fact I can't tell you the last time a fish broke my line. Impossible if your line is good and your drag is set right imo. Unless you get spooled, and i know that's not happening. Do you check your line often? The first 10-15 ft can get tore up pretty bad after a day of hard fishing. Saltwater i use Suffix, Jerry Brown and FINS windtamer. I prefer FINS, and JB for throwing artificial, and Suffix for soaking baits. Also you are never going to get a braid to outperform mono or flouro for abrasion resistance. As far as a braid that performs in salt and fresh, I've never met a braid that knew the difference.
      People catch 10lb+ bass all the time on 6 & 8lb lines so I would look at your line, and your drag settings.

Comment

Power Pro. I'm a weekend warrior and can go at least a few years between line changes. It gets better after it softens up a bit.

Comment

I fish regularly in both salt and fresh and change my line about once a season and have always been fine. Can't imagine these guys who have to change it out after every trip????

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            I fish regularly in both salt and fresh and change my line about once a season and have always been fine. Can't imagine these guys who have to change it out after every trip????
            If you ever pay a $500 entry fee and lose a 12lbs bass that would have won you a new truck, you'll never think that way again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              If you ever pay a $500 entry fee and lose a 12lbs bass that would have won you a new truck, you'll never think that way again.
              Pretty sure this thread is about the casual fisherman not the tourney guy. Sorry you didn't win that truck

Comment

I fish mono and power pro. mono for just about everything unless flipping brush then its braid. how I have been catch my bass is using 80# braid. in very thick cover.

Comment

biggest bass I have ever caught was on 6# mono throwing a trick worm, was right at 9#.
                  also caught several big reds with same rod, reel and line.

Comment

What??

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                    Stay away from braided line. I tried it once and the line takes a lot of wear and tear rubbing up against many things making it very frail. And you have to change it out every year. I lost a ton of fish with it and I will never go back. Stick with mono. Maybe you just got a bad spool. Dump it all and get a new one
                    After all the yrs of saltwater tournament fishing using a quality braid, I cannot disagree more. Most issues with braid are from rookie braid users trying to use the smaller dia lines: 8, 10, 12, 20 lb sizes that do not match up to normal Texas style of bass or coastal fishing. Try using the same dia equivalent braid as you would in mono... that equals 40, 50, 60 lb braid (10, 12, 15lb mono). You will have less backlashes, never break off, and the line will last yrs - yes years! Try some FINS 40lb Windtamer or FINS PRT in 40 or 50 lb and you will never have a line issue once you learn how to tie a proper knot to attach leaders and lures. I cannot imagine going back to mono, just no good reason with all the advantages with braid. my .02 of course

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      Pretty sure this thread is about the casual fisherman not the tourney guy. Sorry you didn't win that truck
                      Tournament guy or weekend worrier, we all try to do the same thing. Back to the original question. IMO there is no, ONE line that will work for everything. All lines have different characteristics that are beneficial in certain situations.

Comment

Originally posted by teamfirstcast View Post
                        After all the yrs of saltwater tournament fishing using a quality braid, I cannot disagree more. Most issues with braid are from rookie braid users trying to use the smaller dia lines: 8, 10, 12, 20 lb sizes that do not match up to normal Texas style of bass or coastal fishing. Try using the same dia equivalent braid as you would in mono... that equals 40, 50, 60 lb braid (10, 12, 15lb mono). You will have less backlashes, never break off, and the line will last yrs - yes years! Try some FINS 40lb Windtamer or FINS PRT in 40 or 50 lb and you will never have a line issue once you learn how to tie a proper knot to attach leaders and lures. I cannot imagine going back to mono, just no good reason with all the advantages with braid. my .02 of course
                        That is, can't use the same knots as mono, too waxy maybe. Another I found was after a big hook set. I seem to sink my line in the spool but, I know after a hook set I just feather it on the next cast. Try it for awhile and then make a judgment.

Comment

Suffix 30. Strong, easy to cast, and lasts for ever. No leader. I tie a palomar straight to a norton quick connect.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                            That is, can't use the same knots as mono, too waxy maybe. Another I found was after a big hook set. I seem to sink my line in the spool but, I know after a hook set I just feather it on the next cast. Try it for awhile and then make a judgment.
                            Braid obviously has a very thin diameter and and it's very slippery, but the knots I use for mono 90% of the time, work for braid as well. Polymer & San Diego Jam. Also you need to wind braid on a little tighter than you would mono to prevent dig-in.

Comment

Power pro Slick in 17# test is what I use for bass, but only on jig rod. Berkley Big Game mono for top water and fluorocarbon for most everything else.

Comment

Power Pro for years...If I'm fishing clear water then I might do a fluorocarbon leader.

Comment

Working...
                                X