No announcement yet.

Best Mexican food in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the dish in my mind. Steak fajitas in dallas - Marianos. Tacos - torchys. Brisket - mia's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife and I really like TaMollys. Originated in Sulphur Springs. They have other locations...Greenville, Waxahatchie, Texarkana, Bossier City. Salsa & chips alone could make a meal. I love their beef flautas

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
        Best cheese enchiladas- Herberts taco hut in San Marcos
        Herbert's is awesome!

Comment

Mama Choles in Leakey is dang good. La Antigua in Port Lavaca pretty good. Eat there at least 2 times a week.

Comment

Lotsa places I can get good Mexican food. That's why I like it. Can go almost anywhere in Texas, and for $10, get at least mediocre, and sometimes great, fare.

OTOH, I HATE going to unknown steak houses. Spend $30 plus, maybe 10-20% of the time get a good steak, and the rest of the time, usually crap. Nothing much worse than walking out of a place after having spent $75 plus on bad steak for you and the wife, when you could have gone to the Mexican place next door and spent around $30 for some decent Mexican food for two...

Oh, yeah, and Herrera's on Maple in Dallas is the best...

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
              Lotsa places I can get good Mexican food. That's why I like it. Can go almost anywhere in Texas, and for $10, get at least mediocre, and sometimes great, fare.

OTOH, I HATE going to unknown steak houses. Spend $30 plus, maybe 10-20% of the time get a good steak, and the rest of the time, usually crap. Nothing much worse than walking out of a place after having spent $75 plus on bad steak for you and the wife, when you could have gone to the Mexican place next door and spent around $30 for some decent Mexican food for two...

Oh, yeah, and Herrera's on Maple in Dallas is the best...

I'd like to know where you are getting good Mexican for $10. Around here you can't even get a decent Enchilada plate for $10 much less a good fajita plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I'd like to know where you are getting good Mexican for $10. Around here you can't even get a decent Enchilada plate for $10 much less a good fajita plate.

Freakin Stripes Gas Stations maaaan! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Luckily my wife can out cook any Mexican restaurant I've ever been to.

Comment

Lots of places around here

Comment

I think you may be in a high cost of living area. We can get plates under $10 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                        I can get the same stuff in Houston as I can in Brownsville. Not that it isn't awesome down there. But Houston is full of folks from down there and they brought it with em.

As far as best goes I don't know. I have my favorites but I've eaten good Mexican food from all over the state. I do prefer Authentic Mexican over Tex-mex myself.

Very true, not sure how stacked up they are over yander. Drive one mile down here and pick one of the 15 taco places to eat at!'

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                          Joe t Garcia in the stockyards
                          Someone's never been to the RGV...

You can't swing a dead cat down in the valley without hitting a place that has better food than Joe Ts

Comment

Growing up in NM I'm pretty biased. I do like basic Tex-Mex but prefer Mexican Interior style. Jalisco style is very common and can be done well, also. I have to go into downtown Austin more than I would like. But, on south first there is Polvos.... Been eating there for years and it never disappoints. The "white fish with garlic" is off the charts.

Still miss Vera's stack of red in Chama........

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                              I do prefer Authentic Mexican over Tex-mex myself.
                              Yeppers

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                                Very true, not sure how stacked up they are over yander. Drive one mile down here and pick one of the 15 taco places to eat at!'

Oh man there are Mexican food joints, Taco Trucks and stuff like that on any given block in Houston. It's not unlike Brownsville in that respect.

I ate at a place in Brownsville a couple years ago and for the life of me I can't remember the name. I had gotten Carnitas Tacos and man they were awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X