Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    I have a question for anyone doing some form of powerlifting or just heavy lifting in general. I noticed a pretty significant decrease in my 1rm since starting Keto. I’ve dropped a good amount of weight but kept pretty strict on my workout routine and I just can’t seem to regain my lifting strength. Any ideas as to what I should do? Deadlift max dropped from 485 two weeks prior to Keto to 455 now after three separate attempts on different days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How much body weight have you dropped? That will play a big roll in how much you lift. Naturally, the more weight you drop, the odds are in favor, of your lifts going down. How long have you been on Keto and are you doing the same lifting program? Has your percentages, in your lifts, gone down? What program are you currently using? My max's have gone down but I'm willng to sacrifice lbs lifted to lbs dropped. I also changed from a powerlifting program to Oly training.

Edit...are you training for an event or just like to lift heavy?

Comment

so what's up with the strips? I have been doing this diet for three weeks and down 14#. I wanted to get some strips to see if im in ketosis or not? is there certain ones I need to get ?

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
        so what's up with the strips? I have been doing this diet for three weeks and down 14#. I wanted to get some strips to see if im in ketosis or not? is there certain ones I need to get ?
        Keto strips are the least reliable for detection of ketosis. Yes, they change color if ketones are present. The most reliable is, of course the blood ketone meters, and they are also the most expensive. Once your body becomes fat adapted, the strips can/will not be as dark or even change colors at all because your body is using up all the ketones as fuel. This can present a false negative. I do use the strips and only test about twice a week. I usually test after a night of enjoyment aka beer, bourbon, tequila or whatever I choose to drink that night.

Comment

I’m currently at 275 down from 310 since Easter. I guess you could say I do more of a CrossFit/Oly mix and I feel like I’ve somewhat lost my edge that I had before. I can still power through workouts but I don’t feel like I’m fully fat adapted yet when it comes to working out. That’s why I’ll eat a little sugar before workouts sometimes. I think my max on Olympic lifts have gone down as a whole but I’m not sure if my percentages have. I didn’t have a clear max across the board to give an accurate answer. I knew my deadlift and bench. Bench has stayed the same but deadlift and snatch have gone down.

Comment

I’m currently at 275 down from 310 since Easter. I guess you could say I do more of a CrossFit/Oly mix and I feel like I’ve somewhat lost my edge that I had before. I can still power through workouts but I don’t feel like I’m fully fat adapted yet when it comes to working out. That’s why I’ll eat a little sugar before workouts sometimes. I think my max on Olympic lifts have gone down as a whole but I’m not sure if my percentages have. I didn’t have a clear max across the board to give an accurate answer. I knew my deadlift and bench. Bench has stayed the same but deadlift and snatch have gone down.

I would chalk it up to the introductory period for now. Give it a couple more weeks and once you're fat adapted, it should pick up. You're down 35lbs and that is awesome. That's a lot of weight in a short time and that alone is why you're not lifting as much. Plus, with the drop in body weight, your body positioning will change at your starting position. I gassed hard in my last workout about 75% of the way through and really had to push through. Where do you train at, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Pasadena, and just getting in to Oly, and would like to know of a good place for coaching assistance.
            Last edited by icetrauma; 07-02-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
              I would chalk it up to the introductory period for now. Give it a couple more weeks and once you're fat adapted, it should pick up. You're down 35lbs and that is awesome. That's a lot of weight in a short time and that alone is why you're not lifting as much. Plus, with the drop in body weight, you're body positioning will change at your starting position. I gassed hard in my last workout about 75% of the way through and really had to push through. Where do you train at, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Pasadena, and just getting in to Oly, and would like to know of a good place for coaching assistance.

CrossFit S5 in spring. That would be a long drive for you haha. Thanks for the advice man!

Comment

CrossFit S5 in spring. That would be a long drive for you haha. Thanks for the advice man!

Unless you're prepping for a meet or competition, I wouldn't worry about the drop in weight lifted. It's a kick to the balls but getting the weight off and in better shape is the priority. Then, you can kick up the weight intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                  Unless you're prepping for a meet or competition, I wouldn't worry about the drop in weight lifted. It's a kick to the balls but getting the weight off and in better shape is the priority. Then, you can kick up the weight intensity.

Think I’m gonna try and forget about it for now. Goal weight is 230 so whenever I get there I’ll start focusing on heavier lifts again

Comment

Let my brisket sit overnight in the fridge after a 13 hour smoke yesterday. So much easier to slice and bag with no mess. Sealing meals for the next couple of weeks at the office, hoping to stay strict keto. I didn’t pre-trim the fat on this one and have found that leaving some on makes the brisket come out like it’s right off the smoker when reheated. You can just toss these bags in some near-boiling water to warm them up from the fridge.

Comment

As of yesterday I'm officially down 40 lbs and feeling good. Continuing with it and hoping to lose about another 20 then I'll slowly start adding carbs back and figure out how much I can eat while maintaining weight. Thanks for the tip about the barbecue sauce I've gone through about half a bottle.
                      I've also finally had to buy new clothes I'm down two sizes in pants and 1 size in shirts
                      Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                      This was from about 6 weeks ago.
                      I am now down 31 lbs total and I've been stuck for about 2 weeks. Think I need to cut out the artificial stuff and whiskey. Gonna give it a try for 2 weeks and see if it starts moving again. This is easy eating for me except no tacos or beer.

Anyone have a BBQ sauce recipe that's ok? I smoke alot of meat and although still good I miss sauce

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                        As of yesterday I'm officially down 40 lbs and feeling good. Continuing with it and hoping to lose about another 20 then I'll slowly start adding carbs back and figure out how much I can eat while maintaining weight. Thanks for the tip about the barbecue sauce I've gone through about half a bottle.
                        I've also finally had to buy new clothes I'm down two sizes in pants and 1 size in shirts

Awesome! I’m down from size 40 pants to loose 36. Weight loss has slowed to a pound a week or so but getting stronger each week of workouts. Been giving clothes away with each clear size drop so I don’t have “fat” clothes to fall back on. Very difficult with expensive suits[emoji23]. Dropped another hundo on golf shorts and shirts this week.

Comment

Well, I am 8 days back into Keto and am down 8 pounds. Starting to feel better and better again. Now, just 10-15 lbs more.

Comment

Completed my 1st week, and last week was TOUGH, sluggish, mental capacity down... and I am in a thinking job, and really grumpy..

Like stated above, I use MyfitnessPal to record my daily intake... having it set a 70%F-25%P-5%C I have yet to reach any of those levels but I am still trying. I am averaging about 28 carbs per day.... I had a bad day yesterday, playing a round of golf I thought I was going to pass out so I ate what I could find (Braut/bun/mustard) and that blue my carbs out to above 50.
                            My goal is to keep my carbs in the 24c-27c on a daily basis. This is not an easy task...

I am in this mostly to lower my blood sugar and over the 7 days, I am down 100 points... But this biggest result... I am down 12# as of this morning with really no trying, so something is happening

I passed a long the Carbquik to my "cook", lol and I will see how to incorporate this in to the meals.

What a journey I have undertaken... what was I thinking, LOL!

Todd

Comment

Today is day 13 of me being back on Keto.
                              I am 10.8lbs lighter than I was on the 1st!!

I am having some issues with stomach pain and diarrhea. I am going to kick my hydration into overdrive in case it is dehydration related. I really think, though, that it stems from a few days of VERY spicy foods.

I seem to be past the low energy stage, so that’s good. And, I haven’t gotten tired of eating reheated meal prepped food yet (its 7 meals in a row, since I travel for a living).

Essentially, So far, so good.

Comment

I'm losing weight but it isn't coming off very fast. Then last week started having leg cramps. I'm going to drink more water this week at work.

Comment

Working...
                                X