Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
    Thanks for the reply man, I was thinking I wouldn’t get one. I have drank the Powerade Zero when out on the water or out in the sun all day. We have been drinking Sole (Pink salt and water) every day. Mostly, I get sluggish about mid day. I haven’t been eating any cookies or sugar (no carbs, other than carbs in meat and veggies, and no sugar)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started intermittent fasting this week and I’ve felt my energy levels come up. Don’t eat after 8pm and don’t eat until 1pm. My energy levels at noon and one are usually the highest they’ll be all day. Everyone is different though. If you don’t want to try fasting I’d say make lunch your fattiest meal of the day and the meal that you take in most of your carbs. You may just need some fine tuning as to what carbs you take in and when. Maybe try the candy thing when you start feeling sluggish. A couple skittles would do the trick lol

Comment

I would still add Potassium and Magnesium supplements to your daily routine.

Comment

My wife and I started the diet about a month ago. I really didn't have much to lose, but told her I'd do it with her, just to make it easier and give her support with it. Lots of adjustments in our normal cooking (tough not having potatoes every night!), but honestly hasn't been too bad as a whole. I've never really been a big sweet eater or pop drinker, so my biggest give up was just bread and sweet tea. Our main goal has been to keep our carb count to 30g or less a day.
        I've always weighed daily (even before starting the diet) and as of last night I'm down 5lbs from where I started. My wife has been weighing at the end of each week, and as of last week was down 12lbs. Hopefully we can continue to stick with it and definitely think it makes it easier to do when progress can be seen!

Comment

also drinking chicken stock helps with the crash

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	carbquik-2T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	24543669

Also, one thing that has been an AWESOME addition I found is this stuff!! Basically, its Bisquick minus the carbs. I've made biscuits, waffles, cinnamon rolls, and used it last night to bread my fried squash and it has yet to disappoint. Honestly, had I not know what I was eating, I'd have never known it was low carb. The biscuits end up at 2g net carbs each. The cinnamon rolls I made ended up at 3g each (they are about the same size as the biscuits I made) and the waffles were around 3g each as well. There are a ton of other recipes for about anything you can think of with this stuff and nearly all I've looked at called for normal, easy to find ingredients (unlike a lot of recipes I've looked at online).

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
              [ATTACH]913588[/ATTACH]

Also, one thing that has been an AWESOME addition I found is this stuff!! Basically, its Bisquick minus the carbs. I've made biscuits, waffles, cinnamon rolls, and used it last night to bread my fried squash and it has yet to disappoint. Honestly, had I not know what I was eating, I'd have never known it was low carb. The biscuits end up at 2g net carbs each. The cinnamon rolls I made ended up at 3g each (they are about the same size as the biscuits I made) and the waffles were around 3g each as well. There are a ton of other recipes for about anything you can think of with this stuff and nearly all I've looked at called for normal, easy to find ingredients (unlike a lot of recipes I've looked at online).

Wow, you’re a lifesaver. I’ve been craving some biscuits or basically anything that resembles a carb haha

Comment

[ATTACH]913588[/ATTACH]
                My wife ran across this stuff at Drug Emporium in Abilene and went nuts making biscuits, pizza dough, hamburger buns, pancakes.... It was awesome until she gave up the diet. Wish I could cook more than just brisket but that is where my culinary skills end

Haven't seen the stuff in our area anyway.

Comment

[ATTACH]913588[/ATTACH]

We could not find it anywhere in Granbury so I ordered it off Amazon weeks ago. It is good...

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                    What time of day are you feeling most sluggish? Have you tried drinking the Gatorade zero for the electrolytes and/or adding pink salt to your water/coffee? I’ve been doing heavy lifting all week while intermittent fasting with Keto and doing fine. Today however I went for a high intensity workout and about 3/4 of the way through I had to stop and eat a cookie to get fuel in me because I was ready to pass out. With working out on a Keto diet, if that’s where your problem is, being 6’5 (like myself) try eating a piece of candy before a workout. Sour patch straw or something with basically just sugar. A small dose will give you enough energy to actually burn through a workout much smoother. I’ve got to the point where a small dose of sugar before a workout is replacing my preworkout.

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
                    Thanks for the reply man, I was thinking I wouldn’t get one. I have drank the Powerade Zero when out on the water or out in the sun all day. We have been drinking Sole (Pink salt and water) every day. Mostly, I get sluggish about mid day. I haven’t been eating any cookies or sugar (no carbs, other than carbs in meat and veggies, and no sugar)

I definitely need some carbs to keep up energy levels when i get into High intensity workouts. I have found that honey is like a shot of pure energy. I clean out MIO Electrolyte containers and fill them with honey. I carry one around at work and if I ever need a boost of energy I take a small squeeze of honey.

Comment

Ok I started last Sunday .
                      No sugar, no bread or pasta.
                      Just meat and green veggies.
                      Black coffee in the morning 4 cups. Lunch has went from sandwiches and chips to left overs. Beef , chicken , pork chops and sausage.
                      Today was the only morning that my blood sugar bothered me,( hypoglycemic ) , but a did have a couple of whiskey and diet Cokes last night.
                      I bought some Keto strips and I was somewhere between a 1.5 and 4 . Anyone use the strips?
                      The last time I weighed I was 198 , but it wasn't recently. Today I was 190.
                      Been feeling hungry and I bought porkskins and mixed nuts for snacks, some assorted cheese slices to. Got some diet Coke for when I want something other than water.
                      What if anything I'm I doing wrong. What else can I do to step up my game?
                      I want to lose a few pounds first and the start to work out.
                      Is the carbs -protein= net carbs right?
                      And if there is more protein than carbs is it ok to eat ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

found this:
                        Drinking liquor can in fact deepen your level of ketosis, but will slow weight loss down. Ingestion of alcohol has effects on liver metabolism, in which more ketones are produced as you drink more. When your liver is taking care of the alcohol you drink, it’s being converted to a triglyceride which can also positively affect the production of ketones.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                          Black coffee in the morning 4 cups. Lunch has went from sandwiches and chips to left overs. Beef , chicken , pork chops and sausage.
                          Today was the only morning that my blood sugar bothered me,( hypoglycemic ) , but a did have a couple of whiskey and diet Cokes last night.
                          I bought some Keto strips and I was somewhere between a 1.5 and 4 . Anyone use the strips?
                          Been feeling hungry and I bought porkskins and mixed nuts for snacks, some assorted cheese slices to. Got some diet Coke for when I want something other than water.

Make sure and keep hydrated. I believe carb grams - fiber grams = net carbs...
                          At this point your body is just trying to adjust. Keep after it and you will see results... Hunger will be a thing of the past once your body fully adjusts.

Comment

Get some heavy whipping cream and MCT oil to mix in your coffee. Monster zeros have been my vise. I can’t seem to let them go. I drink one if I need an energy boost. Use MyFitnessPal to track your intake. Set your macros at 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs. That seems to be my winning numbers.

Comment

Carbs-Fiber = Net Carbs

To get really nit picky about it, hold back on the Diet Coke and liquor, at least for the 1st month. Watch out for unnecessary carbs in nuts. Stick with pecans and the ever so expensive macadamia's. Thomas Delauer has a good video on why those are the top 2 and almonds are just acceptable. Plenty of water, minerals, salt and magnesium. Add in an avocado for potassium. I heard that even though heavy whipping cream is labeled as zero carbs, it actually has .6grams and it can add up quickly with other sources. I've backed off the heavy cream and have gone deeper in to ketosis. It will take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for you to become fat adapted. It's a new process and takes time. Once you get to that point, You will find yourself thinking, man, I need to eat but your not hungry. Once you're fat adapted, you can add in an adult beverage and artificial sweeteners. Have yourself a bullet proof coffee when you wake up, that'll help get some fats in your system early.

You're not doing anything wrong, some will say no booze but, I say enjoy yourself if ya want. Just not over indulge. It can and will throw you off.

Comment

I have a question for anyone doing some form of powerlifting or just heavy lifting in general. I noticed a pretty significant decrease in my 1rm since starting Keto. I’ve dropped a good amount of weight but kept pretty strict on my workout routine and I just can’t seem to regain my lifting strength. Any ideas as to what I should do? Deadlift max dropped from 485 two weeks prior to Keto to 455 now after three separate attempts on different days.

Comment

Working...
                                X