Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    Oh I know. But, she isn't bought in at all. She is done with it. If I push now, she still won't do it and I will lose good will for hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My wife is the same. So, I know where you're coming from. It's not easy at first but y'all can make it work for ya

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
      There is lots of healthy fatty foods as well like salmon, tuna, haddock etc. Hamburgers, taco's etc. Just use low carb bread and tortillas or lettuce wraps etc. It's not all bacon and sausage.
      When I started years ago I thought bread would be my downfall, but once adapted I don't miss it. It's amazing what you can do with lettuce. When going out to eat whether it's fajitas, tacos or burgers we ask fro lettuce instead of a bun or tortilla.

Comment

Looks like I'm half of the people that the diet does harm to, 2 outta a 100.
        Just got some numbers: My cholesterol is up 50 points from 165 to 218 and my triglycerides jumped 70 points from 173 to 243.

I had lost 15 lbs in a couple of weeks tho.

I guess my ketosis will have to come from fasting.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
          Just got some numbers: My cholesterol is up 50 points from 165 to 218 and my triglycerides jumped 70 points from 173 to 243.

I'm sorry to hear that. You could try an intermittent fasting diet with a 40/40/20 ratio.

Comment

My cholesterol was high this time was well, I just did bloodwork last week. My dr. wanted to put me on lipitor but I'm going to tweak my diet a little first and test again in a few months. Being diabetic kept/low carb allows me to best manage my blood sugars without medicine. I consistently get fasting readings under 100, upon waking up, which is tough for diabetics on meds. Just need to figure out the cholesterol part now. Hope you're able to figure your's out as well.

Comment

My LDL spiked for several months on Keto, but once I was 8 months in it dropped down. Spikes in LDL are normal, spikes in TGL are not. There's something in your diet that is causing them to rise.

BTW, with most people fasting causes increase in cholesterol. Interestingly, eating 5K calories of fat for three days prior to test has been shown to significantly DROP LDL and TGL while raising HDL.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                Married to an RD/LD and dated her throughout her dietetics program.

While there has been a lot of truth said here, there has also been some faulty reasoning shared.

Here are a few things my wife bases her practice on...

1. An eating plan that cannot be maintained for the long term is counterproductive. Only in unique situations (such as w/ the morbidly obese) does she recommend an aggressive "diet".

Agreed. I'm 19 months into strong nutritional ketosis and I plan to stay this way

2. Processed foods are some of the greatest contributors to the health risks we will face over the next several decades.

Agreed. Since I cut out processed food my health has improved significantly.

3. Managing portion size is one of the best ways to lose weight.

No, and unless you've struggled with this much of your life it's hard to understand. Portion size works in the SHORT term, but after a few months the body lowers metabolism to adjust to new calorie intake. This is why calorie restriction has a 99% fail rate LONG TERM.

4. Losing weight at the expense of overall health is also counter productive.
                Of course. Fortunately, for obese people, rarely does weight loss NOT improve general health.

5. Some search for a quick fix and others search for long term success. This is true with health and this is true in personal finances. Unfortunately, short term gains and long term gains are, in most situations, mutually exclusive.

I've been able to get off of all six prescription medications thanks to keto. Statins, BP, thyroid, inflamation, etc. My lipids, HsCRP, liver enzymes, BP, BGL, etc are all normal for the first time since I was 16 years old.
                Also, the "balanced breakfast" lie was promoted by the cereal and sugar industry. I hardly EVER eat breakfast anymore, but do enjoy a bulletproof coffee if I'm in the mood for a treat. Grassfed butter, MCT oil, heavy cream-nothing in that unhealthy. Especially when you compare it to the High-fructose corn syrup, vegetable oils, and refined starches in a "balanced" breakfast-LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
                  My cholesterol was high this time was well, I just did bloodwork last week. My dr. wanted to put me on lipitor but I'm going to tweak my diet a little first and test again in a few months. Being diabetic kept/low carb allows me to best manage my blood sugars without medicine. I consistently get fasting readings under 100, upon waking up, which is tough for diabetics on meds. Just need to figure out the cholesterol part now. Hope you're able to figure your's out as well.
                  That's what I'm doing. I have cut back on the MCT oil. My diabetes is now under complete control. I used to wake up with a 165-170 glucose reading even when it was 135 before sleep. Now, it is usually around 110 and after a few hours of work, it is down into the low 90's or 80's. Heck, I ate a couple of hotdogs yesterday and glucose never got of 130. First white bread I've had in over a month. An hour later it was 99. Now rice and pasta used to kick me into the 300's. I had just a few bites of rice yesterday after a colonoscopy, which went OK, and it didn't spike me too bad. I have a feeling my body was just overloaded with carbohydrates.

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                  I'm sorry to hear that. You could try an intermittent fasting diet with a 40/40/20 ratio.
                  I''ve been doing that and keeping my glucose down and it seems to keep me in ketosis, albeit on the "lower' scale.

Originally posted by JonW View Post
                  My LDL spiked for several months on Keto, but once I was 8 months in it dropped down. Spikes in LDL are normal, spikes in TGL are not. There's something in your diet that is causing them to rise.

BTW, with most people fasting causes increase in cholesterol. Interestingly, eating 5K calories of fat for three days prior to test has been shown to significantly DROP LDL and TGL while raising HDL.
                  I have a sneaking suspicion that the bulletproof coffee kicked my TGL up.
                  Every year we have a HRA done at the expense of the company. The results determine if we have "extra" charges. I always fasted about a month before these for 2-3 days to kick off a weight loss regimen. I could lose 20 lbs with out working real hard at it. It also helped with the glucose and I think, the LDL and cholesterol. Numbers were always good, except for the good stuff, never had enough; not enough physical work.

I think my overall glucose, weight loss, ketosis, and other vital signs lead back to TOO MUCH food intake, I love the stuff. I kinda splurged yesterday, so I've got to buckle down and get back to it.

Last year I got below 200 for the first time in..............don't know when. Got back to 230 a short time ago and now back to 207 and going down. I hope to see 180 in the not too near future.

Comment

Keep this thread rolling. I'm one week in (started the day after vacation) and down 6.5lbs. Worked out like a mad man too. 10 years ago I'd "do Adkins" and drop 12lbs in a week but those days are gone and I have to scrape and claw for every pound now. Starting to get over the keto flu and have no cravings so I'm gonna stay off the scale until next week and keep at it. Strips are nice purple

Comment

In down little over 20lbs in 2 months . Been easy to follow

Comment

OK, I'm in. Lost 12lbs. the first week. Had some fatigue but that seems to be subsiding and am noticing some increase in energy this week. Need to loose around 45lbs total, but want to change my eating habits permanently so I don't wind up on the diet roller coaster. Don't want to get to my target weight and then gain it all back plus additional pounds. Really trying to view this as a change of lifestyle rather than a diet. Will post up any blood work as it happens along with weekly weight loss. Good luck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree View Post
                          OK, I'm in. Lost 12lbs. the first week. Had some fatigue but that seems to be subsiding and am noticing some increase in energy this week. Need to loose around 45lbs total, but want to change my eating habits permanently so I don't wind up on the diet roller coaster. Don't want to get to my target weight and then gain it all back plus additional pounds. Really trying to view this as a change of lifestyle rather than a diet. Will post up any blood work as it happens along with weekly weight loss. Good luck to all.
                          Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                            Keep this thread rolling. I'm one week in (started the day after vacation) and down 6.5lbs. Worked out like a mad man too. 10 years ago I'd "do Adkins" and drop 12lbs in a week but those days are gone and I have to scrape and claw for every pound now. Starting to get over the keto flu and have no cravings so I'm gonna stay off the scale until next week and keep at it. Strips are nice purple
                            Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                            In down little over 20lbs in 2 months . Been easy to follow
                            Originally posted by Tree View Post

Keep it up y'all!

Comment

My wife is doing it with great results. I tried it and by about the 2nd week I had no energy especially while working out. I feel better and it's easier for me to eat as healthy as I can. No cokes, fried food, etc. I like oatmeal and sandwiches to much to cut out carbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                                My wife is doing it with great results. I tried it and by about the 2nd week I had no energy especially while working out. I feel better and it's easier for me to eat as healthy as I can. No cokes, fried food, etc. I like oatmeal and sandwiches to much to cut out carbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                                That is exactly how I handle it. I went from 225 to 175 over 6 months doing low-mid intensity cardio... mostly low intensity-high volume. I ate clean and balanced. I did incorporate strength work early at 1 month in. After reaching my target weight, I have kept the carbs the same (pasta, breads, cereal, chips, granola, fruits) but have supplemented more protien (whey powder + milk)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X