No announcement yet.

Getting a new engine for my 08 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang that stinks! Sorry you're having to do this.

Dumb question of the day...Do all 5.3 Silverado trucks from those years have AFM??

I ask because I have 2010 Silverado 5.3 and I have never seen any indication of my truck having AFM. Does is say somewhere on the truck or when it kicks in?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post

Dumb question of the day...Do all 5.3 Silverado trucks from those years have AFM??

I ask because I have 2010 Silverado 5.3 and I have never seen any indication of my truck having AFM. Does is say somewhere on the truck or when it kicks in?
      I believe it does.

Comment

Read the owners manual, it will tell you if there is an indicator for when the AFM is active or not.

You can also run the VIN to see if it is equipped with VVT/AFM.

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
          My 07 Tahoe with 5.3 started burning/losing oil at 140K. It got progressively worse until 240K when I lost #1 cyl. and #7 cyl. was beginning to fail as well. Jasper reman. engine went in. It was cheaper than new car payments. A little under two years and 60K miles later still going. A little left on the warranty. No complaints on the jasper. Fuel mileage has been less. I might look at the afm delete as well; I hadn't yet not wanting to void warranty. Just need to decide when to call it quits on this thing. Needing lower ball joints, struts/shocks, brakes and starting to notice a vibration in the driveline.
          How much lower gas mileage?

I haven't found any bad reviews after somebody disabled the DOD/AFM from their truck. I will keep looking on the forums for this engine.

Comment

On my 08, on the left part of the dash behind the steering wheel. The top button that looks like a highway will change your display on the speedometer and when I get to the one that says fuel economy, you can see the display while going down the road change from 8 cyl to 4 cyl.

Comment

Getting a new engine for my 08 Silverado

Mullenix racing engines [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The old engine averaged around 17.7 mpg with 70% highway miles and 10% pulling trailers. I'm around 16.4 mpg on the life of the new engine with a similar ratio.

Comment

Had to get a new engine in my 2009 z71 last year at 119k

Comment

Common problem from what I was told .
                    Last edited by buckwild17; 03-15-2017, 09:41 AM.

Comment

My 2009 Z71 5.3 developed a flat spot on the cam at the # 2 cylinder . Not sure when it happened but kept a emissions code up that wouldn't clear and had rough idle because of it. . It used a quart of oil every 1000 miles from about 60,000 on till trade in at 165,000 this January right after the rear main started leaking . No more 5.3 for me !!

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                        Had to get a new engine in my 2009 z71 last year at 119k
                        Where did you get yours done at? Mine is an 09 Z71 as well....

Comment

Originally posted by buckwild17 View Post
                          My 2009 Z71 5.3 developed a flat spot on the cam at the # 2 cylinder . Not sure when it happened but kept a emissions code up that wouldn't clear and had rough idle because of it. . It used a quart of oil every 1000 miles from about 60,000 on till trade in at 165,000 this January right after the rear main started leaking . No more 5.3 for me !!
                          This sounds very much like mine. Runs fine, but idles a little rough when at a stop sign of stop light. Mine has been using some oil as of the last 2-3 oil changes. Didn't seem like mine started until about 190k. I have 203k on it now.....

Comment

Dang Timm, sorry to hear this. Have not been on line lately. Glad you were somewhat close to home.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              The weak link in the Gen III and Gen IV engines continues to be in the valve train. Engines with VVT and AFM are more prone to failures of the lifters.

2006 and earlier did not have VVT or AFM but there were some issues with the heat treating of the cam lobes and there were a good number of cams that would chip on the nose of the lobes. So many in fact that getting a stock replacement cam usually required a wait time as there were none in stock.

2003 thru 2005 5.3l engines were the worst. Variable valve timing and active fuel management both put uneven strain on the entire valve train as well as causing ring seal failure and oil consumption. It's what GM has done to meet fuel economy standards put in place by the smarter than everybody else tree hugger bureaucrats.

2003-2005 engines had VVT & AFM?

My son is driving my 04 Z71 5.3 and it has 236k miles in it with no issues at all. It doesn't even burn a full quart of oil between 5k mile oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                2003-2005 engines had VVT & AFM?

My son is driving my 04 Z71 5.3 and it has 236k miles in it with no issues at all. It doesn't even burn a full quart of oil between 5k mile oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                No, these engines did not to my knowledge. AFM started in 2007 and VVT was started in 2009 I believe. The newer trucks have both.

Comment

Working...
                                X