Earlier the better!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4765.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	24487048

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, especially this year. Toms already have the hens pushed out into the pastures by mid morning.

Comment

I've had times in the early season that they will gobble and gobble and not come at all. Other times they come right in.

Late season birds can be quieter. However, I've had great luck if you can get one taking. Think of it as a late rut.

Also, don't rule out afternoons when hunting Rios. They will come off the roost early and stay with hens. It can be really hard to pull them away. By late morning or in the afternoon, the hens are usually on the nest. Gobblers can get bored and respond to calls. If you can get one talking, he'll almost certainly come in.

Comment

turkey hunt early season vs late season

Early in North Texas. These birds are horny and any hint of spring gets them going!

Comment

Personally, I have better luck later after the hens are sitting and the Tom's are looking still. They answer the call more early in season, but they are already with their hens and rarely leave them. Late in the season, they come on a string for me.

Comment

For us I cant wait to get out there so its as early as possible. But we just adapt to the birds as the season progresses.

Comment

Well this takes any doubt I had about toms breeding already.

Comment

Season doesn't open until April 15th in Nacogdoches county- that's why I'm headed south in two weeks for a little Rio action.

Comment

Are most of you hunting Easterns or Rios? Does it really matter on the timing? Is earlier still better for either bird. I will be giving it a go in north TX - Red River county.

Comment

I go whenever I can and adjust to the hand I have been dealt. With that being said, I like opening day! Get on them and get on them quick.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                        Are most of you hunting Easterns or Rios? Does it really matter on the timing? Is earlier still better for either bird. I will be giving it a go in north TX - Red River county.
                        Rios for me. To me timing doesnt matter on my lease, you just do things a little differently or try a little harder as things change. Some days they run to.you like they are crazy, other days they walk right by and never even look at the decoys.

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                          I go whenever I can and adjust to the hand I have been dealt. With that being said, I like opening day! Get on them and get on them quick.
                          Precisely

Comment

Generally speaking, early season is "better" hunting than late season for us

I don't think it has as much to do with the birds as it does with the grind taking a toll and the temperatures rising. We are either tagged out or wore out by the end of the season

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              I hate the middle of the season. But I like the end of the season, the last 10 days or so. Birds are still hot, but most of the hens are on nests, can make for some hot and easy birds.

This has been my experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                                I know weather can play a role, but am I wrong in thinking the opener is better than the other times of the year?
                                Not wrong... especially this year. The warm weather has had toms strutting since mid February in Central Texas. I'm hoping there are still a few unbred hens left come turkey season.

Comment

Working...
                                X