No announcement yet.

Rabbit in jambalaya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be great in jambalaya. I have made it before in Sauce Piquante, stewed, and Gumbo. Either in pressure cooker or an the stove all day. You could brown it first then cook in same pot, to get that good stuff off the bottom. I would leave on the bone. Just gives it a different flavor. My wife likes it debones and cubed up, that way she cant tell what it is. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      What can ya not put in jambalaya?
      ^^^^this.

Comment

Good ideas above. I've made sauce piquante with rabbit before; it was very good. Also could work well in a jambalaya -- definitely sear pieces first (de-bone it or not; bones will help hold moisture and give an easy gauge of doneness -- as in when meat is easily pulled from the bone, it's done).

Comment

try you some popper:

Jalapeno Venison or Rabbit Poppers

24 Jalapenos
          1 1/2 lbs dice venison or a fresh rabbit
          1 pkg softened cream cheese
          3/4 shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer Sharp cheese)
          3-4 green onions
          24 slices of bacon – cut in half
          4 tbsp. chili powder (this is important. I left it out of a batch and it was yuck.)
          2 tbsp. garlic salt
          1 tbsp. onion powder
          1/2 tsp black pepper
          6 cups water

In a medium pot bring water to a rapid boil. Add chili powder, garlic salt, onion powder, bay leaves, and black pepper.

Cube venison and add to your pot. If you use rabbit quarter him. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3 hours or until it starts to fall apart.

Strain your meat and reserve the liquid

Fork your meat. If you use rabbit de-bone the meat. Watch for small bones.

In a large mixing bowl combine cheese, onions, cream cheese, and meat. Mix until well combined. Add 2 Oz to 4 Oz of the liquid to the filling.

Cut the length of the pepper. Open it up and remove the seeds and vein with spoon.

Fill the jalapeno cavity with mixture. Wrap in bacon.

Place popper on a wire rack and bake for 20-25 min or until bacon is crisp and brown

Comment

I just cooked up a couple shot while quail hunting. Deboned the meat and browned it in a skillet with seasoning. When done, put the meat in a crockpot with all kinds of veggies and stock. Let it cook on low for 6 hours or so. Makes a great rabbit stew!

Comment

This rabbit pork and sausage jambalaya is dang good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
                  This rabbit pork and sausage jambalaya is dang good!!

Shore looks it!

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                    Rabbit Sauce Piquante:

Chef John Folse & Company is the parent company of several food related industries. From custom food manufacturing to a fine dining and bed breakfast, Chef John Folse & Company encompasses many aspects of the foodservice industry. From Lafitte's Landing Restaurant at Bittersweet Plantation to our manufacturing facility located on the river in New Orleans, Chef John Folse & Company's gumbo of foodservice venues continue to add seasonings to the pot. White Oak Plantation nestled in the heart of Baton Rouge is home to our catering division offering services in off-premise and on-site event coordination. Exceptional Endings houses our pastry division, which supplies savories to the regional CC's Gourmet Coffee Houses. In addition, Chef John Folse & Company's publishing division has produced 7 books in the Cajun & Creole Series and accepts titles from independent writers. Chef John Folse hosts a radio talk show called

All the best,
                    Glenn

This is the way you cook rabbit or lapin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                      This is the way you cook rabbit or lapin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Think I'm gonna go do some squirrel hunt-n tomorrow and try that.

Comment

Man cottontail is good no matter what it's thrown in.

Comment

Rabbit stew is mt favorite way. Can't go wrong throwing it in jambalaya though

Comment

Personally I want to taste the rabbit. Not the spice of the jambalaya. Simple sausagebor shrimp suffice for that. Then again, I'm a ill back woods.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

papadaux used to have it on the menu. That was in the 80's, last time i was there.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Working...
                                X