No announcement yet.

Val Verde County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt on the Val Verde/Edwards Co line & we too have noticed a drop off on the quality of deer since 2015-2016. No real pressure on these deer...3 guns on 1,200 acres but we had 3-4 brutes just disappear never to be seen again. Don't get me wrong, part of the deal with low fence property but still...

We feed corn & protein year round & have an abundance of water even during hot summer months. Can't quite figure it out.

Comment

We have the same problem with hogs. We are Val Verde north line where it joins Crocket on Pandale Road. Been there since 2012. Never seen feral pigs much till now. They are on all feed sites we have (14).

Got our first lion on camera. Anyone seen black bear?

Someone has been stealing cards and cameras. Not sure if we have poachers or oilfield workers snooping or what.

Year two of cotton seed about to start in Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Payton View Post
        We have the same problem with hogs. We are Val Verde north line where it joins Crocket on Pandale Road. Been there since 2012. Never seen feral pigs much till now. They are on all feed sites we have (14).

Someone has been stealing cards and cameras. Not sure if we have poachers or oilfield workers snooping or what.

Time to take that lion out!

Comment

Any tips on hunting lions? Never have

Comment

You get bonus points for getting one on camera during the day. All of mine are at night. I haven't had one on camera in several months so I'm wondering if all the hunting activity has made them nervous and they moved out.

Comment

How did everyone fair this year? We took 3 does and a 4.5yr old 4point. Pulled jaws and all of them ranged from 3.5 to 4.5. Now for the bad news 4 of the 5 bucks with potential we’re harvested by neighbors 3ea 10points and a 11 point lol....oh well. Good news is a lot of the area goats and sheep were taken too.

Comment

We killed some nice buck this year. I only killed an 8 point that I called the booby prize buck. I never saw any good deer with the exception of one monster 8 that had broken off his left G2 and G3. Biggest 8 I've ever seen on that ranch.

My GF killed a really nice 11 and some of the other lease members killed good deer as well. I think the largest buck was killed by a lease members guest.

That being said, I did kill a bunch of other stuff. The hogs have pretty much taken over two of the setups located in the bottom of canyons. I killed the snot out of them, but I didn't even put a dent in them. And spanish goats. I killed 6 when I jumped them going up the canyon wall after leaving one setup. There was a big herd of about 30 and my GF is not experienced at offhand shooting or awkward positions so she spotted for me as I let the Barrett 6.5X55 do the work. That's the second herd of spanish goats I've seen.

Sheep. We thought we had eliminated nearly all of them, but it appears the neighbors aren't doing their part. We must have killed at least 30 last year in two weekends and I still hear them from my setup, but they are on the other lease. I had three show up one morning and I made two of them pay the price.

I had 4 mountain lions on camera at my stand. I never saw them during the season and figure all the hunting activity forced them to move. I'm hoping they come back since the season is over.

I'll go back the last part of February or the first of March and fill feeders. I'll have my AR with me this time and 30 round magazines.

I've got a tripod that I need to bring home and have the climbing rungs re-welded. I want to put it where the pigs have been coming in and maybe get a bow shot at a big one. My GF wants to get one with her bow as well. I wish I had brought it home with me the last weekend, but I forgot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BigRed1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	24568342

Name:	BigRed2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	24568343

Name:	02190833.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	24568344

Name:	02270959.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	24568345
                Last edited by SabreKiller; 01-29-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

any luck this year

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaTex View Post
                    any luck this year

Are you asking a question?

Comment

Bump, any other reports of hunters that hunt Val Verde county?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a great season. Looking forward to 2019 ! It will be here before we know it.

Comment

Ours wasn't too bad. We didn't see the numbers of big bucks like we saw last year. It was kinda depressing for awhile and then when I ddi see the big bucks they were all busted up from fighting.

I made up for it killing pigs, sheep and spanish goats though.

Comment

Just a FYI but we have up to 7 memberships open. We are on the north Val Verde County line joining Crockett.

Here is a link to our ad in the Classifieds. Tell your friends if they need a very nice established year-round access lease to join. Send all inquires to me via PM or text to my cell. Payton 281-381-8611:

Comment

Y’all survive this years anthrax outbreak?

Our ranch has been in affected. We are super excited with the numbers and quality finally beginning to show up.

Something I have never seen before but we got a Mule deer hitting our cotton seed.

Comment

Y’all survive this years anthrax outbreak?

Our ranch has been in affected. We are super excited with the numbers and quality finally beginning to show up.

Something I have never seen before but we got a Mule deer hitting our cotton seed.

Awesome! I killed my first Mule deer out there on my first year. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X