2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    My bride worked on okrey last night after work... The freezer is lookin' pretty good!! That's zucchini/squash on the left, and peas/okra the rest of the way over... If you look close, you can see a bit of a brisket under the veggies right in the middle... I'm thinkin' we're gonna eat good this winter!

[ATTACH]861441[/ATTACH]

Hech yeah! Details on bagging please!

Comment

Our first bell pepper! My wife put it in our spaghetti and it was awesome!

Comment

Last of the tomatoes.

Comment

This is more than likely our last harvest of tomatoes. I have not kept up with them this year as I should have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't even picked one yet.

Picked my first cucumber last night.

Anyone have a good recipe for fig preserves?

Comment

Cool thread, thanks for sharing.

Comment

I have a 30' x 72' high tunnel; it's one of my plots. Well one of the neat things about high tunnels is you can grow sooner and longer. In Texas if you throw a shade cloth over it during the summer you can grow somewhat cooler weather veggies. Well I noticed some of my sprouts starting to get eating. I found a hole under one of the base boards, threw a live trap out an caught a rabbit. My Blue Lacy - Ramadi - quickly caught the hare once I opened the trap.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                  I have a 30' x 72' high tunnel; it's one of my plots. Well one of the neat things about high tunnels is you can grow sooner and longer. In Texas if you throw a shade cloth over it during the summer you can grow somewhat cooler weather veggies. Well I noticed some of my sprouts starting to get eating. I found a hole under one of the base boards, threw a live trap out an caught a rabbit. My Blue Lacy - Ramadi - quickly caught the hare once I opened the trap.

I do that with squirrels. My lacy loves em.

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                    Nothun wrong with grow-n a little rabbit to go in the stew with the veggies!

Comment

Our garden has made a full come back. We have watermelons, cantaloupe, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers on the vine!

Comment

The Lazarus garden

Comment

I've been off the grid the past few days so just now catching up on things... Just before I left for the Chandeleur Island trip (another fishing report thread), we pulled our first corn.

Probably a bunch out there now that needs pulling. Hope to get it done this weekend. A buddy of mine came over and picked the peas. They're about done now. My bride picked 6 buckets of okra again this week... will have more coming... Squash/cukes/zucchini/melons are all about done... Gonna start turning most of the garden under next week or so... For our first time to try a "real" garden, I cannot believe the bounty the Lord provided to my wife and me out of that patch!! It was truly a blessing and loads of work, but much fun too!!

If you wash and trim the okra then vacuum seal it good, you can take it out and do anything with it you want when your'e ready to cook it. It's sure a lot easier than chopping it and battering it for frying and prepared fresh for frying after thawing, this works better for us. It doesn't work so good just in zip-locs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6887.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	24502409

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6888.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	24502410

Comment

Some pickings this week!

Comment

Today's haul!!

Comment

Had to space my pepper plants out. Some weren't getting enough sun. And some branches were growing into it's neighbor's cage. Also built the little risers for next year's RGGS. Also makes it easier to weed-eat around some of it.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X