No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, we spent most of the 4th shelling and putting up peas... Picked probably 3 bushels altogether over the long weekend... Will be bagging the last of them tonight after work. Got another bushel of okra to put up too... A buddy came over on the 4th and we cut at least 2 1/2 bushels of okra for him... will have that much more by the weekend...

I will say one thing though, it was HOOOOTTTTTTT in that garden Saturday and then again on the 4th!!

This gardening is fun but MAN, it's a LOT of work!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6876.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	24501676
    Attached Files

Comment

Found a zucchini today that has been hiding for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a Tomato plant get totally decimated by mites. But, I think there was something else. As I watered, the faster it would die. I cut all the toms out and noticed the stalks were very tough, and hollow in the centers, similar to root rot. When I pulled the root, it was only about the size of a small baseball.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My
          Toms are hollow inside too. They are trying to send out roots on the main stalks. I think they are done.

I have trimmed on them and pulled 95% of the maters. Once I get these last tomatoes off, I'll mulch and see what happens.
          I might trim heavy and see if I can get some fall tomatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post

Found a zucchini today that has been hiding for awhile.

That's a biggun! I always thought they weren't any good when they got that big, but we've had a bunch of bigguns this year, and they are just as good as the small ones, only more to eat!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

That's a biggun! I always thought they weren't any good when they got that big, but we've had a bunch of bigguns this year, and they are just as good as the small ones, only more to eat!
              Totally agree. We have gotten some huge ones this year, and they still taste great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

My bride worked on okrey last night after work... The freezer is lookin' pretty good!! That's zucchini/squash on the left, and peas/okra the rest of the way over... If you look close, you can see a bit of a brisket under the veggies right in the middle... I'm thinkin' we're gonna eat good this winter!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6880.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	24501726

Comment

Yall do-n great Charlie!

Got more rain here last night and this morning. Ground was just beginning to get dry yesterday evening, where the grass is. Now I got some standing water in places. Couple of my ground plants are swimming till it runs off/soaks out.

Comment

Michael, PLEASE send some of that rain my way! Seems either we're drowning in water or dry as a bone... If we don't get a shower before the weekend, I'm gonna have to drag out the hoses and sprinkler tripods again! A little shower and we'd be able to get another pea pickin' and it would finish out the corn nicely. Gonna check on the butter beans this evening when I get home... Lots of hulls, but they don't seem to be filling out very well... we'll see...

Comment

@saltwater slick
                      You just freeze that okra in bags? Never have thought to freeze okra but makes sense when your okra plants are producing.

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

My zucchini plant got washed out it looks like, but I got a few good ones before it died. Tomatoes are going crazy and jalapeƱos are staring to go crazy. Got 3 big cayennes to make homemade red pepper with and lots of big okra. Cantaloupe and watermelon plants are getting huge but still no fruit. Way too much for a bachelor to eat!

Comment

Got a good two handfuls of red chilies this morning. They are all green but I likem like that too. Gonna have a bunch more in a few days. Gonna dry some for next year too.

Also got a great package of okra seeds. Out of the 36 seeds I've planted so far, I've had 33 plants come up. 27 of 30 since this past Monday. Got one bucket that has 2 seeds that ain't broke the soil yet. So they still could. Gonna save some seeds for next year. Cause I'm about to go back to work starting Monday and may not have time to plant anything else for a while. Just water and pick.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Corn should be ready in about 15 days.

Comment

Getting a nice little thunder shower right now. Couldn't have been timed any better.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Berkeley tie dye pinks are coming on strong
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X