2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
    Missed a couple of days picking while I was at work, waited for my partner to help me pick and he found this guy that got away from us

Lol! Looks like my okra when my helpers miss them.

Tell him that big veggie goes good with Mohawks.

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
      Missed a couple of days picking while I was at work, waited for my partner to help me pick and he found this guy that got away from us

That's a great pic!

Comment

Caught a little FatA** of a cuke hiding today, he may not be long but he'll hit all the sides![emoji87] , and checked some of my radishes... SMH... DEY NOT READY!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone cut back their tomatoes after it gets too hot so that they will start producing again when it cools off?
          Mine are about done for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Lunch! Bounty from the garden... Purple Hull peas, boiled okra, boiled cabbage, pickled banana peppers, bread n butter pickles, sliced fresh 'maters, and how water corn bread with fresh butter... and dessert, fresh blackberry cobbler... It just don't get much better'n that... well 'cept if maybe I'd have done a couple venison fillets to go with it...
            [ATTACH]857973[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]857974[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]857975[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]857976[/ATTACH]

Oh yea, added a little to the harvest too... Gonna start puttin' up some 'maters this evening...

[ATTACH]857977[/ATTACH]
            That looks good!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
              That looks good!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
              Thanks!

It WAS good, and done it a few more times since then... We got about half a mess of Purple Hull peas yesterday when we were out looking around in the garden... Maters look pretty sick. I don't think they're going to make much more... just too much water and as late in the season as it is, I don't think they have time to recover. Egg plants seem to be doing real well. Have several fruits started on them. Cut a couple more buckets of zucchini and cukes yesterday evening too... gonna have to cut okra again Saturday or Sunday... and the corn is gettin' little ears on it... If we don't get another big rain, or the coons don't hit us, we should have some nice corn in a couple weeks... kinda late so probably will have to contend with silk worms, but that's OK... just extra protein. I took out a big ol mater worm yesterday that was about the biggest one I ever saw!! Sucker had eaten half of a mater that was over 2" in diameter... Pretty sucker, but I chopped his head off and threw him to the chickens... couple hens had a little of tug a war with him.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                Has anyone cut back their tomatoes after it gets too hot so that they will start producing again when it cools off?
                Scotty, how do you cut back tomato plants? Never tried that, but since ours got whacked so bad with too much water, I might try that with the survivors...

Comment

I've been wondering the same thing. Mine are about done too, so I'm debating whether to do that or just mow them down and till.

Comment

Hey Shake n Bake, how's your garden coming on its recovery from the hail storm??

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Hey Shake n Bake, how's your garden coming on its recovery from the hail storm??
                      It's coming along slowly. I think it set us back a month or more. My wife's Zucchini plants were doing fantastic but last night she found vine borers in 2 of the plants.
                      I need to post up some pics.

Comment

What is on my lettuce? What can i kill it with that's organic?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post

Get you some bt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I cut mine back a couple months ago due to me missing watering for a day or two (May have been longer, I was gone a while) and Houston had constant 20 mph winds that whipped the plants. They just started producing two weeks ago or so.
                            Last edited by WItoTX; 06-16-2017, 11:02 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post

My wife got something from the feed store... Think it's called "LEEM" oil or something like that... takes it a while to work and it needs to be put on in the morning so it can "dry" all day with no rain for a few days... It seems to have worked for her cabbage... we didn't do any lettuce this year.

Edit: might be NEEM oil... something like that anyhoo...

Comment

Cabbage worms/Cabbage caterpillars. They get on our kale all the time. This is what we use for them. Just gotta to keep re applying every few weeks. Wash before you eat. There are simple organic versions of insecticidal soap available online as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X