No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking great Charlie! Pickle up some of that okrei!

Comment

Oh Mike, you can bet there'll be plenty of pickled okrey! One of my favorites! Fact is, I never met an okrey pod I didn't like from pickled, to boiled to fried, but Those 2 rows in that first pic that my wife is in front of are 150 feet long and thick. plus there's another 2 partial rows that are probably 25 feet long behind the corn!! All the plants have little pods n blooms now, and if it grows like it did last year, won't be but a few days and she's gonna have to start cuttin'!!

Comment

This may have already been discussed on here, but what do y'all do when you leave for vacation? We will be gone for a week or so, how do y'all keep your garden watered?

Comment

Yea Texas Grown. No tiller here either. Tomatoes are taking off man they are doing good. I really like the buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
            This may have already been discussed on here, but what do y'all do when you leave for vacation? We will be gone for a week or so, how do y'all keep your garden watered?
            That's part of the reason I'm setting up rain barrels and a timed drip system on my little place. All for next year. But getting things ready now. Since I have no one living with me, it should provide for some stored groceries through out the year. Then I just have to go hunt my meat, or catch it, as usual.

Should have plenty of mators and peppers this year. Already got a freezer full of wild onions. Just gotta add a little garlic and cilatro for the rest of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
              For those of you who do epsom salt spray on your tomatoes. When do you typically do it? After flowers show up or before ?
              A couple days after the first flowers open. Which reminds me I need to refill my spray bottle. Just had a couple blooms open today.

I also shake the trellis daily after the flowers open.

Comment

Does anyone have a decent amount of Serranos in the north DFW area. I am needing quite a few for a fermented hot sauce, but they are only sold green. I am needing them to be fully ripened and red so they don't discolor my sauce. I would like a few gallons worth if anyone had enough to spare. I could pay for them and help out the seed fund for next season :-)

I have 7 ghost pepper plants setting like crazy and 5 Carolina Reapers limping along from too much rain. Either way, I should get quite a lot of HOT peppers this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Our garden is starting to bounce back after we got wiped out by the hail storm. Looks like we only ended up loosing a few plants, it just set the rest of them back a few weeks. We've gotten 4 inches of rain in the last week which has helped!

Last edited by Shake N' Bake; 06-05-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Mine are coming along
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ready? Not yet? Past prime? Pickling cucumbers and first time

Comment

How do they taste and what's the texture? Without knowing the variety it's hard to telll some have lighter skin

Comment

Originally posted by Azzy View Post

Ready? Not yet? Past prime? Pickling cucumbers and first time
                          I'd Pick those for pickles, those cucumbers are either getting too much water, or they are not exposed to the sun (i.e. shade is covering them) They need sun to turn green!

Comment

My straight 8 cucumbers are FINALLY starting to set cukes. I've only gotten one off of them so far, but there are dozens in the early stage now. I guess this variety is late to mature?

The rest of the beds are doing OK, just not where they should be. The multiple hail storms busted nearly every tip on my indeterminate tomatoes, so they suckered out like crazy.
                            And the sunflowers in the back bed are doing a great job. There are herbs, carrots, lettuce, and cabbage underneath them. The dappled shade has done a great job delaying the bolting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                              I'd Pick those for pickles, those cucumbers are either getting too much water, or they are not exposed to the sun (i.e. shade is covering them) They need sun to turn green!

Thank you. Yeah it's been raining like crazy here in Houston these past 2 weeks. And it's my first time. I should've put a fence for trellises. Oh well, next season.

Planned on pickling these anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                                Our garden is starting to bounce back after we got wiped out by the hail storm. Looks like we only ended up loosing a few plants, it just set the rest of them back a few weeks. We've gotten 4 inches of rain in the last week which has helped!

Good deal SnB! Glad y'all were able to make a go of it... Right now I need the rain to stop! I'm afraid we're gonna start to get water damage if it doesn't... Our area doesn't drain well and after about 2 feet of good top soil, it's clay "half way to China"!!

Comment

Working...
                                X