No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never heard of doing it that way, but would be worth a try. I suppose it would depend on the form of calcium that is.

Comment

Finally got my first produce started. Had just transplanted it Monday.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
      Attached Files

Comment

But I think I got the mini variety of pepper plant seeds. As this is one of the taller red pepper plants.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          But I think I got the mini variety of pepper plant seeds. As this is one of the taller red pepper plants.

My ghost pepper plant is still about that size and it's been in the ground 3 months! Didn't know I bought the dwarf variety

Comment

This is my smallest one. I just can't get much if any height out of them. Some, like this one are just plain stubborn. All pepper seeds were planted during the first two weeks of February.

Attached Files

Comment

I'm hoping it's just the cool temps. My poblano has done okay (although only 1 pepper has set) but the ghost pepper isn't budging

Comment

Our banana pepper plants aren't over a foot tall, and they've probably produced a couple gallons of peppers off 6 plants. Jalapenos are about 8-10" high and have a bunch of peppers on them, just not quite ready to pick. Probably 1/2 gallon will be ready soon on 6 plants.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                  Chunkinlead you need to add calcium to your soil. Several methods will do it. For long term I add egg shell into my soil. And add periodically throughout the year. A foliar calcium spray would also work.
                  Watch your watering schedule. If you can don't water at night. This allows moisture to stay on the fruit thereby exacerbating the situation. Water in the morning and try not to just soak the plant with a water stream. Water along the base and edges trying to not wet the fruit. A morning water will allow the fruit to dry during the day as well

pH plays a role as well. But you have to know the pH of your soil.

Bone meal is a good source of calcium as well

Comment

Bone meal is a good source of calcium as well
                    I consider Bone Meal a must for Heirloom Tomatoes. I also give them Super Phosphate.

Comment

Great thanks will see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                        I consider Bone Meal a must for Heirloom Tomatoes. I also give them Super Phosphate.
                        Can you expand on why bonemeal for heirlooms? I'm curious to learn something new. I've got high calcium and pretty much everything else except nitrogen and organica. I've been using some fox farm grow big and over the last two applications, along with the milk jug tents, the tomatoes nearly tripled in size. Gonna switch to fish emulsion I think. I really just want the nitrogen and well that's pretty much all that is. I haven't started the magnesium foliar spray yet.
                        I have Berkeley tie dye pinks and German lunchbox that I got off of baker heirloom. The lunch box is out performing the Berkeley in size right now. At least 25% bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          I wonder if a Citrical tablet ground up and diluted in water, then added to the base of the plant watering area, would help prevent bottom rot.
                          I have heard of people using Tums this way w/ success, but, I haven't done it personally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you expand on why bonemeal for heirlooms? I'm curious to learn something new. I've got high calcium and pretty much everything else except nitrogen and organica. I've been using some fox farm grow big and over the last two applications, along with the milk jug tents, the tomatoes nearly tripled in size. Gonna switch to fish emulsion I think. I really just want the nitrogen and well that's pretty much all that is. I haven't started the magnesium foliar spray yet.
                            I have Berkeley tie dye pinks and German lunchbox that I got off of baker heirloom. The lunch box is out performing the Berkeley in size right now. At least 25% bigger.
                            It's been my experience that soil that doesn't have enough calcium has substantially less blooms actually set into fruit. I plant my seedlings with two tablespoons of Bone Meal and 2 tablespoons of super phosphate at the bottom of the hole. Mix it into the soil at the bottom of the hole and put 1/2" of soil on top. Then plant your seedling. Or you can dig a small four inch deep hole about six inches away from the stalk and add 2 tablespoons of bone meal and cover it up after the plants are started. Same with adding super phosphate after the planting.

The super phosphate helps the tomatoes set more blooms. The bone meal helps more blooms set into fruit.

Before I started doing that with Heirlooms my yields were dismal (to say the least, I almost gave up on them)

Comment

It's been my experience that soil that doesn't have enough calcium has substantially less blooms actually set into fruit. I plant my seedlings with two tablespoons of Bone Meal and 2 tablespoons of super phosphate at the bottom of the hole. Mix it into the soil at the bottom of the hole and put 1/2" of soil on top. Then plant your seedling. Or you can dig a small four inch deep hole about six inches away from the stalk and add 2 tablespoons of bone meal and cover it up after the plants are started. Same with adding super phosphate after the planting.

The super phosphate helps the tomatoes set more blooms. The bone meal helps more blooms set into fruit.

Before I started doing that with Heirlooms my yields were dismal (to say the least, I almost gave up on them)
                              This may be a dumb question, but where can you purchase bone meal & super phosphate?

Comment

Very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X