Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need more tomatoes...

Comment

I've harvested my little lettuce plot twice in 12 days, got 18+ Cherokee Purps on the vine, not so many Mr. Stripey, poblanos... I got poblanos! Tiny jaleps, and my other toms, well, they are coming along.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting snow again tonight. Wet heavy stuff.
        Spinach is growing good. Lettuce is coming on. The colder nights killed the couple of tomato sprouts I had. Got backups going inside though so no loss. I can't seem to post pics off my phone very well. Sevin dust seems to be working on the small grasshoppers

Comment

But it's 72* inside
          Attached Files

Comment

Just put up the bird net around our berry bushes so we can have some left when ready, 2nd pic is our lettuce, Swiss chard, scallions, beets and kale, 3rd pic is radishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
              Just put up the bird net around our berry bushes so we can have some left when ready, 2nd pic is our lettuce, Swiss chard, scallions, beets and kale, 3rd pic is radishes.

Well it loaded the darn pictures in reverse order.

Comment

Anyone grow a garden in the Eagle Pass, Cotulla area? I want to start a fall garden at my ranch south of E.P but need some tips. I grow a large year round garden here in La. but its a different gardening world down there.

I would like to know what vegetables I can start in Sept. I can bring seeds easily enough but would like to purchase best cultivar tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc for area.
                Is there a good garden store selling plants and fruit trees in Eagle Pass
                Any tips or suggestions.

I'm actually on the Mexican side of the river.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hey Rusty, never grown in the Eagle Pass area but I'm not too far from there. For fall planing timing is very crucial, you have a small window to get things done. Last year I started germinating indoor in August and put both plants and seed out first week of September. You also need to start with some type of shade for the first 45 days, give/take. Intense triple digit heat is too much for the young plants. I don't know of any good nurseries in the area but I'd be happy to hook you up. I have work in Eagle Pass so I'm in the area a couple times a month. Happy to take you plants or whatever you need. Now, you're in Coahuila and that's where I foresee a problem. Let me see what I can find out, however, I don't think crossing plants into MX will go smoothly. Especially if you plan to cross more than just a couple. I know you can't bring them into the US from MX.

I send you a pm when I get more info.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DBHIII View Post
                    Hey Rusty, never grown in the Eagle Pass area but I'm not too far from there. For fall planing timing is very crucial, you have a small window to get things done. Last year I started germinating indoor in August and put both plants and seed out first week of September. You also need to start with some type of shade for the first 45 days, give/take. Intense triple digit heat is too much for the young plants. I don't know of any good nurseries in the area but I'd be happy to hook you up. I have work in Eagle Pass so I'm in the area a couple times a month. Happy to take you plants or whatever you need. Now, you're in Coahuila and that's where I foresee a problem. Let me see what I can find out, however, I don't think crossing plants into MX will go smoothly. Especially if you plan to cross more than just a couple. I know you can't bring them into the US from MX.

I send you a pm
                    when I get more info.

-Dan
                    Thanks, I appreciate the help. Wife and I are experienced gardeners so once we are down for season we can keep everything going. We have a lady that lives at the ranch that keeps all the flower beds watered so she can help get things started. I can probably 'dribble' plants across the border a few at a time with no problem and as said will bring lettuces and things easily seeded. I just have no experience down there with veggies so a little unsure.

Can tomatoes be started and grow from late summer till frost? Peppers? We would grow any and all things that would make there so very curious what all works.

Thanks again and I'll look forward to whatever you find.

Comment

Got a few swallow tail caterpillars on my dill...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        Thanks, I appreciate the help. Wife and I are experienced gardeners so once we are down for season we can keep everything going. We have a lady that lives at the ranch that keeps all the flower beds watered so she can help get things started. I can probably 'dribble' plants across the border a few at a time with no problem and as said will bring lettuces and things easily seeded. I just have no experience down there with veggies so a little unsure.

Can tomatoes be started and grow from late summer till frost? Peppers? We would grow any and all things that would make there so very curious what all works.

Thanks again and I'll look forward to whatever you find.
                        Hey Rusty,

I checked with a MX Customs Broker and it doesn't look like MX Customs will allow you to cross a US plant. (PM sent)

Now, as far as what to grow in the fall you can grow just about anything. I only have 1 fall season under my belt, however last fall I grew cucumber, peppers, tomato, eggplant, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, snow peas, bush beans and a bunch of herbs. I didn't do zucchini (I had had enough of them) but I'm sure they would of done just fine.

Cucumber, tomato & peppers were germinated in August indoor and planted in Sep. Had to slowly get them accustomed to the heat starting them off in a shaded area with only morning sun. Cu's gave me a short season but still produced. Tomato & peppers froze when we got our second freeze in January. Everything was picked before the freeze so I was able to harvest the fruit. Eggplant froze, I trimmed it down and it bounced back this spring. I kept tomato under shade first 30-45 days.

Broccoli & cauliflower I planted in October, shade first 30-45 days. Got plants from a buddy of mine that gardens for a living. Both made it through the freeze just fine, harvested early Feb. Will definitely grow again and a lot more this year.

Carrots seeds were put in late October - Dec. I'm still picking carrots, I'm almost 1/2 way there.

I put corn and snow pea seed in the ground early November, corn froze on me a couple weeks before they were ready. I was a month late but Peas did excellent, loved them and can't wait to do more!

I don't remember the exact dates. I accidentally left my phone on a ranch road dealing with a rattlesnake, when I went back to recover the phone it had just been run over by an 18 wheeler. Lost all my pics from Sep.-Dec.

I do recommend a book I often reference. Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening, by J. Howard Garrett. I hope this helps and good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	24494615

Comment

Being a new garden spot this year, it seems every bug that ever attacked a garden was just waiting for an opportunity... My wife dug potatoes last Saturday... very poor turn out... they pretty much drowned early. Only got a couple hills that were at the very end of the rows that produced reasonably. Gonna fix that next year tho... gonna haul in dirt all winter once the growing season is over for this year. Her corn and peas are doing really well though since we haven't been flooded out since early Spring and they were all planted later. Did the corn in stages a couple weeks apart so hopefully it won't all be ready to pull at the same time. If all the blooms on her zucchini, squash, cantaloupes and 'maters turn into produce, she's gonna have stuff runnin' out her ears here in a little while. The tomatoes, though stunted at first by the excess water, seem to have rebounded nicely. Got a few small ripe ones this week, but there's gonna be buckets full here by late next week if they continue to grow like they are now. Planted the eggplants late, but they seem to be very healthy and growing fast.

Name:	IMG_6671.JPG
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	24494616

Name:	IMG_6672.JPG
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	24494617

Name:	IMG_6674.JPG
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	24494618

Comment

I lost all but two of my potato plants. Darn fire ants invaded the compost/soil and killed them from the roots up. Cucumbers did well initially but were mauled by something or other. Zucchini and yellow squash got vine borer beetles so we lost those. I've got a pile of tomato plants and more peppers than I can eat along with watermelon and cantaloupe when I can keep the deer out of the.

This year has been a mess.

Richard.

Comment

Well, I tore down the compost pile from last fall and dressed two of my beds. The tomatoes and peppers are coming along nicely.

The cucumbers are climbing well and are just starting to set like crazy.

The sunflowers are getting pretty big too.

We are starting to pull carrots for salads

And assorted tomato pics

Comment

Originally posted by DBHIII View Post
                                Hey Rusty,

I checked with a MX Customs Broker and it doesn't look like MX Customs will allow you to cross a US plant. (PM sent)

Now, as far as what to grow in the fall you can grow just about anything. I only have 1 fall season under my belt, however last fall I grew cucumber, peppers, tomato, eggplant, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, snow peas, bush beans and a bunch of herbs. I didn't do zucchini (I had had enough of them) but I'm sure they would of done just fine.

Cucumber, tomato & peppers were germinated in August indoor and planted in Sep. Had to slowly get them accustomed to the heat starting them off in a shaded area with only morning sun. Cu's gave me a short season but still produced. Tomato & peppers froze when we got our second freeze in January. Everything was picked before the freeze so I was able to harvest the fruit. Eggplant froze, I trimmed it down and it bounced back this spring. I kept tomato under shade first 30-45 days.

Broccoli & cauliflower I planted in October, shade first 30-45 days. Got plants from a buddy of mine that gardens for a living. Both made it through the freeze just fine, harvested early Feb. Will definitely grow again and a lot more this year.

Carrots seeds were put in late October - Dec. I'm still picking carrots, I'm almost 1/2 way there.

I put corn and snow pea seed in the ground early November, corn froze on me a couple weeks before they were ready. I was a month late but Peas did excellent, loved them and can't wait to do more!

I don't remember the exact dates. I accidentally left my phone on a ranch road dealing with a rattlesnake, when I went back to recover the phone it had just been run over by an 18 wheeler. Lost all my pics from Sep.-Dec.

I do recommend a book I often reference. Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening, by J. Howard Garrett. I hope this helps and good luck!

[ATTACH]853614[/ATTACH]
                                Thanks so much for your input. I'm excited about fall gardening. We spend a lot of time at the ranch overwinter and it will be fun to add gardening to all the hard work of hunting , fishing and margaritas. I'm going to try all the above. Ordering the book as well. Great resource.

If you are ever across the river stop in for a tour. Love to host.

Comment

Working...
                                X