No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a little bummed out. I has a good jujube fruit plant growing and I did the Scott's weed and feed and 4 days later it started to brown, 2 weeks later it is completely dead. Did not think Scotts was harmful to some fruits shrubs??

Comment

Weed and feed is worst stuff you could use. Terrible for all shrubs/trees. Just need high nitrogen fertilizer for fruit trees/shrubs

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        I am a little bummed out. I has a good jujube fruit plant growing and I did the Scott's weed and feed and 4 days later it started to brown, 2 weeks later it is completely dead. Did not think Scotts was harmful to some fruits shrubs??

From what I hear this stuff kills everything but grass. Lol. I quit using it. It's not worth the risk of losing my 60yr old live oak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Due to various issues with life and family, I am just now planting mine this weekend. I hope to get tomatoes above all and I know okra will do well. I am planting all kinds of other things, and will just see what mother nature and her wrath bring me for the garden..
          Some of you have some handsome gardens....

Comment

Good reading about weed and feeds and the dangers of Atrazine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rseveer View Post
              Good reading about weed and feeds and the dangers of Atrazine.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                Due to various issues with life and family, I am just now planting mine this weekend. I hope to get tomatoes above all and I know okra will do well. I am planting all kinds of other things, and will just see what mother nature and her wrath bring me for the garden..
                Some of you have some handsome gardens....
                Don't feel lonesome! My wife just planted Okra, beans n corn this past weekend too... And she says she ain't done plantin'... not sure what's left. I just make the dirt ready...

Rain has been our big issue this year as last... TOO much of it all at once.

We dodged a BIB bullet yesterday though. Lots of our area had street flooding and such, but fortunately at the house, we only got a good rain with practically zero runoff. Thank YOU JESUS!!

Comment

THanks I will never use this in my backyard again. It's also killing my stevia and cilantro plants!!
                  Just fyi I didn't put it on these these plants intentionally. ....the disperser flung it onto them from a distance. Live and learn

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                    THanks I will never use this in my backyard again. It's also killing my stevia and cilantro plants!!
                    Just fyi I didn't put it on these these plants intentionally. ....the disperser flung it onto them from a distance. Live and learn

Anything that kills my stevia is done. That stuff is so dang hard to get to germinate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just planted my garden as well. Maters, okra, beans, peppers and squash.
                      I'll plant some more easter weekend.
                      Having a hard time finding plants at garden centers.

Comment

@DBHill..great looking gardens.

Love your fence, looks new.

Comment

Well, I finally filled 2 more tubs, each took 1.5 yards special blend, and 60#'s of black kow top soil. Should be nice and rich for the yellow pear cherries and Romas I added in.

On the others, Mr Stripey popped or a 2.5" Tom that I never saw coming, Cherokee Purps have 4-6 toms barely 1/2", and my poblanos are starting a fiesta! Got 4-6 of them showing up now.

Since I finally am showing fruits, I bumped in some fertilizer to excite the plants. Ready to start pushing some veggies out!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok guys got a question.

Just got back from vacation, checked the greenhouse last night, and I have a ton of grasshoppers already. They are super small but plentiful. Trying to think of ways to nip these in the bud so to speak. Thought about colored fly paper. Not sure on insecticides. Need recommendations. I'd like something systemic so it keeps working on new ones coming up not just the ones I've seen. Seeds have started to germinate, radish, salad, spinach, peas, beets. Still waiting on cucumbers, tomatos, squash and onions. So I need something that won't harm my young growth.

Ideas? Not opposed to organic but not required

Comment

Here is a few pictures of my garden on the farm.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like gonna have to do manual pollination. Even with all the flowers we planted not getting any help. Tomatoes are flowering but drying and dropping

Comment

Working...
                                X