2017 San Angelo area season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rage em View Post
    Any of y'all hunt near a main lease road? One that others would drive down to get to their stand? I moved my setup a little this year and it's 60-70 yards from a main lease road, and I'm second guessing myself on it. We use a road feeder so they are used to the trucks but I have always liked the spot that was far away from any traffic. A big plus is its easier to fill water totes and feeders compared to my previous spots.
    We have a section at the front of our lease with oilfield traffic in and out. Pumper makes a route in there each day. They don't care about that but of course its daily. I would say we have a couple others that are maybe 100 yards off a main road and we just communicate so folks aren't driving by 15 mins after your feeder goes off.

Comment

Any of y'all hunt near a main lease road? One that others would drive down to get to their stand? I moved my setup a little this year and it's 60-70 yards from a main lease road, and I'm second guessing myself on it. We use a road feeder so they are used to the trucks but I have always liked the spot that was far away from any traffic. A big plus is its easier to fill water totes and feeders compared to my previous spots.
      I try to be at the end of roads or well off the beaten path. If traffic is consistent and your not right on the road then I don't think it will be an issue as far as the deer are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        I try to be at the end of roads or well off the beaten path. If traffic is consistent and your not right on the road then I don't think it will be an issue as far as the deer are concerned.

Same here... we try to get a minimum of 400 yards off the road...and both my sets are closer to 600 and 800. That being said we have one stand that is closest to camp that is 150 yards off a semi main road and is visible from it. It is a pretty good producer so I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the deer are use to some vehicle noise

Comment

Yep, I agree with y'all, off the beaten path for me too. This was just a good area, that holds quite a bit of deer year in and year out, so I wanted to give it a try. We will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, I agree with y'all, off the beaten path for me too. This was just a good area, that holds quite a bit of deer year in and year out, so I wanted to give it a try. We will see

I bet it's worth giving it a try. Sometimes you have to go into an area where the deer prefer to be. If they are naturally using that area than sometimes they will put up with more stuff vs an area where they really don't like being there.

Comment

As long as y'all have drive times during season set in place, you will be fine. Our hunters that are close to the main ranch road see plenty of good deer.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                As long as y'all have drive times during season set in place, you will be fine. Our hunters that are close to the main ranch road see plenty of good deer.
                Just out of curiosity what are your drive times Zach?..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Just out of curiosity what are your drive times Zach?..
                  10pm-4am

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                    10pm-4am

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Make sure plenty of time for the area to settle down!

Im lucky if I get there before the feeder goes off

Comment

Make sure plenty of time for the area to settle down!

Im lucky if I get there before the feeder goes off
                        Seems about norm for me nowadays, older I get the later the start. For some reason I always pick some of the furthest stand set ups from camp too.

Comment

Seems about norm for me nowadays, older I get the later the start. For some reason I always pick some of the furthest stand set ups from camp too.
                          Yep more than once last year the feeder was going off as I walked into the stand. Just not that mad at them anymore I guess. Managing/taking care of the place with the kids has slowly topped the hunting.

Of course a 170"+ on cam may get me out there a little earlier!

Comment

I'm still plenty mad at them, just don't get in as big of a hurry as before.

Comment

Let's change gears here...

What are you guys seeing on your age classes since the drought?

Seems like we are still a year away from having some balanced age classes that include bucks up into the 6 yr old range.

Comment

Let's change gears here...

What are you guys seeing on your age classes since the drought?

Seems like we are still a year away from having some balanced age classes that include bucks up into the 6 yr old range.

Yup I think we will be seeing the steady 5.5 mark this year. We passed a lot of 4.5 last year

Comment

Working...
                                X