No announcement yet.

2017 San Angelo area season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck. I slept in this morning. Going to pick up some feed and head that way and check cams in a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      Looks like yesterday mornin was one of the more active days at the feeders in the last couple for me.
      Seems like the am has been better than the pm lately.

Good luck

One 3yo 8 so far. Fed 7 yards from my only open window so the Ozonics must be working. Frustrating deer showing though compared to the previous three days.

I had deer feeding at midnight last night on a new moon. But not during these periods which through the years has been respectably semi-accurate..

Comment

I had a lot of action in the dark on cams also.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
          I had a lot of action in the dark on cams also.

...oh well....gotta keep plugging along and hope something screws up or their other food supplies thin out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            One 3yo 8 so far. Fed 7 yards from my only open window so the Ozonics must be working. Frustrating deer showing though compared to the previous three days.

I had deer feeding at midnight last night on a new moon. But not during these periods which through the years has been respectably semi-accurate..

Smart, what app is that?

Comment

Hunt Calendar

Comment

Decided to head out at the last minute last night. Our feeders are set to go off at 6 and I decided to hunt our Header feeder. Imagine my surprise as I was walking up the road at 5:10 and heard the feeder go off. I tried to quick step the last 50 yards to the blind but a nice little 7 pointer had beat me to it. I creeped up within 35 yards behind a juniper and decided to wait and see if his big brother would show up. By 5:30 I hadn't seen anything else so I decided to sneak out and try and make our Cabeza feeder by 5:45. Walked up to Cabeza and the pop up had blown over sometime in the last couple days. I quickly set it back up and tried to get settled and then notice that the pop up had blown over into a mesquite tree and tore a huge gash in the roof, letting a stream of sunlight into the blind as the material whipped around in the wind. At this point I'm about ready to give up, just seemed to me like a doomed hunt. The feeder went off at 5:58 and I told myself I'd stick around until 6:15 and if I didn't see anything I'd head home and lick my wounds. At 6:14 I start packing up and just as I'm getting out of my chair I look up and see two nice bucks staring at the blind about 70 yards out on either side of me. They took their time coming in but eventually they made it. One was a nice 3 year old 10 pointer who will be awesome in a couple of years and the other was a nice 3 year old 8 pointer. All of a sudden I hear a couple grunts behind me and this old fat 9 comes strolling in, running the others off. He comes in and stands perfectly broadside. I shoot and know it's a good shot, I can see him running and blood is just pouring out of his side. I looked at my watch and it was 6:22! Nice management buck for a doomed Thursday last minute hunt!
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice buck, Crippler. Congrats.

Comment

Big body on that guy. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats crippled, great old buck!

Comment

Great looking management buck. Congrats!!

Comment

Heck of a management buck!!! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats Crippler! Nice buck!

Comment

How far did he run? Shot looks a little far back but obviously effective[emoji23]. I'm just curious as I also like to hear shot to track stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                How far did he run? Shot looks a little far back but obviously effective[emoji23]. I'm just curious as I also like to hear shot to track stories.
                                I was hoping nobody would notice, but yeah it was a terrible shot. Way too far back - my only excuse is that he was TOO close and I was scared if I didn't get a shot off quickly he was going to spook due to the jacked up blind I was hunting out of. I walked it off and I shot him at 12 yards.

The arrow went all the way through but didn't fall out and as he ran off blood was just pouring out of him. My thought at that point was that maybe I caught the femoral artery. I shot my first deer through the femoral artery and she didn't make it 30 yards. I marked where I last saw this deer running, maybe 50 yards in front of the blind. I gave him 30 minutes and went to look at blood and found a piece of liver where the Rage blew through him. I was feeling pretty confident at that point, the blood trail was bright red, not the dark blood from a liver shot so I figured I hit something good. I went to where I last saw him and he hadn't made it 20 more yards. Better lucky than good, I guess, it will serve as a reminder to calm down and focus before taking a shot.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X