No announcement yet.

2017 San Angelo area season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy folks! I'm late to the party but none the less I'm here. When is the beer drinking, lying telling, get together at Cooper's in Christoval??

So, I'm hunting a little over 5K acres just south of Christoval. This is my second year on the place and we have truly enjoyed it. However, we haven't seen many shooters on camera last year or this year but we were able to harvest a 13pt, 12pt, and good 8pt last year. The bucks seemed to show up once season started but they were not hitting the feeders at all. It doesn't seem like this is too common for the area as I've seen some great bucks posted in earlier posts. We have some sheep on the place (about 300 head) and the local biologist says they will not compete with the deer so I shouldn't worry. We saw a few pigs last year and have had an increase in pigs on camera for sure. The place is loaded with deer so we may just need to get the ratios in check. What you guys think?

Comment

Top is the only decent buck I've seen and bottom is my buck from last year.
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice

Comment

Hearing some reports of 7-9" out towards lake Ivie from San Angelo

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
            Ivie needs it in a bad way

Comment

Welcome, Deer Tamales.

Sounds like you are on a good place. We have seen some bucks that have a summer home area and then move into a winter home for deer season. I wouldn’t worry about it to much right now.

Things could change once y’all get the lease more established and on a consistent feed as the years come.

Good luck to you this year.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                That is good news...Ivie needs it real bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Deer Tamales View Post
                  Top is the only decent buck I've seen and bottom is my buck from last year.
                  Nice buck! Congrats! We are about 3 miles South of Christoval so not too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                    Welcome, Deer Tamales.

Sounds like you are on a good place. We have seen some bucks that have a summer home area and then move into a winter home for deer season. I wouldn’t worry about it to much right now.

Things could change once y’all get the lease more established and on a consistent feed as the years come.

Good luck to you this year.
                    Thank you sir! I hope to be on this place for many years and will work to keep improving it.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb03 View Post
                      Nice buck! Congrats! We are about 3 miles South of Christoval so not too far.
                      Thanks neighbor!

Comment

Howdy folks! I'm late to the party but none the less I'm here. When is the beer drinking, lying telling, get together at Cooper's in Christoval??

So, I'm hunting a little over 5K acres just south of Christoval. This is my second year on the place and we have truly enjoyed it. However, we haven't seen many shooters on camera last year or this year but we were able to harvest a 13pt, 12pt, and good 8pt last year. The bucks seemed to show up once season started but they were not hitting the feeders at all. It doesn't seem like this is too common for the area as I've seen some great bucks posted in earlier posts. We have some sheep on the place (about 300 head) and the local biologist says they will not compete with the deer so I shouldn't worry. We saw a few pigs last year and have had an increase in pigs on camera for sure. The place is loaded with deer so we may just need to get the ratios in check. What you guys think?
                        We are in the other side of Angelo from y'all, but on our place we don't see many mature bucks before the middle of October.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          We are in the other side of Angelo from y'all, but on our place we don't see many mature bucks before the middle of October.
                          Thanks! That's how it's been here.

Comment

Not sure about the sheep not being a competitor part...

Welcome aboard.

Comment

I agree txwhitetail. I have seen the deer jump out of the pens when the sheep are approaching. I asked the biologist several times and he said we were fine in that dept.

Comment

No telling how we will end up but was at 3" since yesterday afternoon when I left town this morning. That's getting my new gauge out after rain had started

Comment

Working...
                                X