Sonora TX 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bubba View Post
    Seen rain on a live feed from Simon Bro today on Facebook.Anyone have any reports around the area.
    We got a little over half an inch the last few days.

Comment

I'm headed down to the lease later this evening to hunt this weekend. By myself this time. Zach hasn't seen his girlfriend in a couple weeks, so he's staying home. Dad isn't up to hunting in the heat just yet. Other guys on the lease are all doing other things.

There are a couple 36-38" bucks running around that really want to take a ride in the back of my truck though, and they're not gonna come to my house to do it.

Comment

Sonora TX 2017-2018

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        I'm headed down to the lease later this evening to hunt this weekend. By myself this time. Zach hasn't seen his girlfriend in a couple weeks, so he's staying home. Dad isn't up to hunting in the heat just yet. Other guys on the lease are all doing other things.

There are a couple 36-38" bucks running around that really want to take a ride in the back of my truck though, and they're not gonna come to my house to do it.

Good luck! Did you find a cabin to rent?

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          Good luck! Did you find a cabin to rent?
          Copperas Creek Cabins (owned by Simons) are the only ones I can find in that area. They've been booked up every time I've tried so far. I'm taking a tent this time. Driving to town and back during the summer makes for some short nights.

Comment

Just pulled off the interstate headed into the lease and I have an appropriate song playing for axis hunting in the summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck Shane!

Comment

Got my tent set up with about 2 hrs of daylight left. Sitting by a couple water troughs. Maybe big boy is thirsty. Had a few whitetail does come in so far.

Comment

Had 4 whitetail bucks come by. 2 were decent mature 8s. 2 were younger. All only half developed antlers still.

Comment

Well guys, it looks like I'm going to have to jump in on this thread. I've been watching it for the past several months. We have put an offer in on a ranch SW of Sonora about 30 miles. It looks like we are closing in a few weeks.
                    We are super pumped, especially after keeping up with this thread. We look forward to our future hunting adventures in Sonora as well as following yours!
                    Good luck this year.

Comment

Originally posted by JFRITZ06 View Post
                      Well guys, it looks like I'm going to have to jump in on this thread. I've been watching it for the past several months. We have put an offer in on a ranch SW of Sonora about 30 miles. It looks like we are closing in a few weeks.
                      We are super pumped, especially after keeping up with this thread. We look forward to our future hunting adventures in Sonora as well as following yours!
                      Good luck this year.
                      Congrats!

Comment

As soon as I got out of the pickup this morning, I heard an axis bellow pretty close to me. I snuck towards it and found him and a bunch of does. Looked to be about a 34 incher. Big brows and caudles. I had a shot a couple times, but he's not the giant I saw in May. I about had myself talked into shooting him anyway, but I needed to move to get a clear shot at him then. They were grazing away from me a little. When I moved a couple feet sideways a doe saw me. I don't know where she came from. She wasn't there a few seconds beore. Before the buck stepped back out, she finally started troting off, and the rest followed her. They didn't go far though. They went into a thicket about 500 yards away and we're just standing and walking by then. I may see them again soon....

Comment

They kept grazing south. I heard them ahead of me a few times, and I saw the last doe in the group once. But there was a big sunny clearing between me and the deer. By the time I circled around to stay hidden, they were gone. I guess I wasn't supposed to shoot that buck.

He was a nice one, but seeing a 38 messes with your head. Every time I see a 33-34" buck, I think if I shoot him then I'll see the 38. When I pass a 34, I think, "what if I don't see the 38 again?".

This is a 34 that my buddy killed last month. The one I saw this morning was about like him, only his caudles and brows were all 12-13"" long. He might have been an inch or so narrower than my buddy's buck. He would have scored more though. I'm probably crazy for not shooting him the first chance I had. But what if I see that giant one?

Comment

Shane, 34" with 12"-13" casuals is a giant!! Yes you are crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                              Shane, 34" with 12"-13" casuals is a giant!! Yes you are crazy
                              I know. But 38.....

Comment

Wow......your buddy's buck is a stud, I couldn't imagine the fortitude to pass on one slightly better

On our lease, we're allowed one exotic buck and one doe per year. I keep telling myself I'm going to let my wife shoot the axis buck......but if a 34"er walks out within bow range, I might be telling her sorry babe.

Comment

Working...
                                X