No announcement yet.

Sonora TX 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our landowner text me this morning that we've had 5.5" so far this week. We are West of town about 20 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cajun- our axis bucks are usually 225ish, biggest was in the 240s I beleive. Terrain is a lot steeper in SE Edwards and I think that keeps a lot of the animals smaller. Big fat boys can't run up and over a hill as quick as the smaller ones. Same theory I have for whitetail in the area that we've talked about.

Originally posted by Buglemintoday View Post
      Yall seeing any elk through there? My buddy says they have a good sized free-range herd of elk out there. Come whitetail archery season the bulls are bugling
      Further south, we have them. Some red stag and stag/elk also.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Patton; 07-06-2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
        Curious about the weight of axis in this area of Texas as well as protein vs. no protein. What has been the average weight for your bucks? What is the heaviest buck you've shot? Protein? No Protein? This guy was one of largest shot weighing in at 275 and 36" with no protein at least on our ranch. Have had some others shot in the 250's, but besides those most bucks shot are not fully mature and have been around 190-215.
        Our bucks are normally around 200#'s. We have timed protein feeders so they do not camp out and eat all they want. My wife's was 190#s.

Comment

Never seen elk personally for as long as I have hunted in Sonora. I have heard of them in the area from other hunters though. Would be interested to see if any others have seen them before.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
            Our bucks are normally around 200#'s. We have timed protein feeders so they do not camp out and eat all they want. My wife's was 190#s.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=652066
            What model timed protein feeder do y'all have? We've got one free choice 1K lb protein feeder that's getting hammered and need to slow down the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              What model timed protein feeder do y'all have? We've got one free choice 1K lb protein feeder that's getting hammered and need to slow down the costs.
              I have the All Season timed 1,000 protein feeder. It works really good. I have it set to feed for 3 seconds twice a day. It keeps the Axis in the area Big Time! 1,000lbs last about 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradman1971 View Post
                I have the All Season timed 1,000 protein feeder. It works really good. I have it set to feed for 3 seconds twice a day. It keeps the Axis in the area Big Time! 1,000lbs last about 3 months.

I have the 600 lbs All Season timed. What motor speed do you use? And have you had any problems with coon and the wiring to the motor. My wiring is expose to the varmints and they have found it. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Curious about the weight of axis in this area of Texas as well as protein vs. no protein. What has been the average weight for your bucks? What is the heaviest buck you've shot? Protein? No Protein? This guy was one of largest shot weighing in at 275 and 36" with no protein at least on our ranch. Have had some others shot in the 250's, but besides those most bucks shot are not fully mature and have been around 190-215.
                  Heaviest on our ranch has been about 205# and the buck was pre-mature.

Elk have been seen on our place but it was a single sighting in the last 15 years or so.

We've also seen a few young mulies but they just traveled through.

Comment

i have 800 acres 2 miles south of town.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      How's the axis hunting going? We've had some rifle kills on our lease, but it's near impossible to get on one within bow range. They aren't coming to the feeders at all. We don't really have a water hole that is in a good spot for a bow setup, other than just placing a popup blind on the ground and hoping they don't come in downwind.
                      the only way i can get em in bow range is to hunt at a caliche pit after a rain, or a water source, i just sit on turkey chairs under a big oak about 35 yards away from the water.

Comment

I shot a big bodied bruiser Sept 2016 in Sonora. He looked like a 55 gallon drum with 4 legs and a neck when he stepped out into the powerline. It took 2 grown men everything we had to load him up into the bed of the pick up truck. We brought him over to see Jessica at Rough Creek in town and he maxed out the scales there pretty quickly. So he would go well over the 250lb mark and prolly closer the to 300. So i decided to have him put on the wall and was told that they would have to special order the mold because he was just to big to fit the standard form. He does not have the biggest rack, only 28 and some change but it sure feels good to down a big ol mature animal.

Comment

Originally posted by GeauxPreaux View Post
                          I shot a big bodied bruiser Sept 2016 in Sonora. He looked like a 55 gallon drum with 4 legs and a neck when he stepped out into the powerline. It took 2 grown men everything we had to load him up into the bed of the pick up truck. We brought him over to see Jessica at Rough Creek in town and he maxed out the scales there pretty quickly. So he would go well over the 250lb mark and prolly closer the to 300. So i decided to have him put on the wall and was told that they would have to special order the mold because he was just to big to fit the standard form. He does not have the biggest rack, only 28 and some change but it sure feels good to down a big ol mature animal.

Must of been a good year! The 275 one above was shot in May 2016 and was mounted with Jessica as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post

We have 3 of the Lancon 800# models. Best feeder for axis hunting in my opinion.

Comment

Headed up this weekend to do a little coon shooting and cleanup. Anyone else headed that way?

Comment

I'll be doing the same, but I'm hard after the hogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X