Sonora TX 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
    Take my advice, if you have Aoudad you will need to winch up all of your feeders Unless you have the stand and fill type.

The Aoudad will eventually break the legs off of your feeder. It doesn't matter if it is protein or corn they will ram the legs till they break.

And they WILL eat all the protein till it it gone.

If you go hoist up I would use 2 in square pipe for legs
    We went to all stand and fill feeders for that exact reason. Nothing like going hunting and seeing your feeder smashed on the ground as the sun comes up.

Comment

Auodad are way worse than coons or pigs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
        Knocked these down near Roosevelt. And the pig was my son's first with his new Ruger American rifle.
        Congrats. Those rugers are tack drivers. I bought my wife the 243 and she is dead on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
          Auodad are way worse than coons or pigs!!

Put together and x1000000!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mexico70 View Post
            Sweet !! Congrats to your boy and take in every moment with him it seems like mine was that age yesterday and had to sit in lap to shoot now he's finishing his junior year of high school !
            Originally posted by Stolle View Post
            Congrats to you and your son.
            Originally posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
            Congrats. Those rugers are tack drivers. I bought my wife the 243 and she is dead on with it.
            Thanks guys! Yes your right seems like just yesterday he was born, I can't believe how fast the time is going by. As to the accuracy of the Ruger American, yes I'm impressed. His is a 22-250 and with varget powder and a 64 grain Hornady bonded performance bullet we are getting less than half inch group!

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
              Take my advice, if you have Aoudad you will need to winch up all of your feeders Unless you have the stand and fill type.

The Aoudad will eventually break the legs off of your feeder. It doesn't matter if it is protein or corn they will ram the legs till they break.

And they WILL eat all the protein till it it gone.

If you go hoist up I would use 2 in square pipe for legs
              They haven't bent any legs yet and it's been there for over a year. They do bend the down-spout on that protein feeder and I have to beat it straight again sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                Knocked these down near Roosevelt. And the pig was my son's first with his new Ruger American rifle.
                Awesome, congrats! I've been thinking of having my daughter shoot a .22-250. How is the recoil in that Ruger American?

Comment

This guy stopped by for a drink.

Think we should cull him[emoji51]
                  That would have been his last stop dang nice axis.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                    Awesome, congrats! I've been thinking of having my daughter shoot a .22-250. How is the recoil in that Ruger American?
                    Not bad at all. This is the Compact version so it is really light and my son is very recoil sensitive. I did load some 40 grain vmax bullets with trailboss powder which produces a very light load, only around 1800 fps and very quiet. It's like shooting a 22 long rifle. He shot a lot of those at the range and loves them but they don't group too well. The full power "hunting" load does have noticeable recoil but it's not bad at all even for him. No where close to even a .243. If your daughter is recoil sensitive I would highly recommend the 22-250 just make sure it has a faster twist rate so it can stabilize the heavier bullets for medium sized game. The ruger American has a 1:10 twist so your good to go. A lot have a 1:14 which can be a little slow for the heavier "longer" bullets.

Comment

I appreciate it! I'm starting her on my AR with 62 gr. Federal Fusions as they group sub MOA but haven't had a chance to get her behind it yet. She's very small framed and the collapsible stock of the AR fits her well. I looked up recoil #'s and it seems that the .22-250 in comparable weight rifles has slightly less recoil than a .223, which surprises me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        I appreciate it! I'm starting her on my AR with 62 gr. Federal Fusions as they group sub MOA but haven't had a chance to get her behind it yet. She's very small framed and the collapsible stock of the AR fits her well. I looked up recoil #'s and it seems that the .22-250 in comparable weight rifles has slightly less recoil than a .223, which surprises me.
                        Yea I agree that does not make since. 223 and 22-250 both shoot the same bullet (.224) , but the 22-250 is much higher muzzle velocity. And recoil is made up from bullet weight and velocity. With rifle weight being the same a 22-250 will have more recoil if both are shooting a full load round. I too started my son on my ar in 223. He was ok with shooting it but the problem with them is 1 they are very loud due to the very short barrel, 2 no recoil pad. My son much prefers the bolt action 22-250 over my ar. Good luck to you and your daughter!

Comment

This guy stopped by for a drink.

Think we should cull him[emoji51]

Dew drop inn

Comment

Anyone else heading up this coming holiday weekend. Looks like there has been some good rains there. Me and my dad are heading Thursday around lunch time. Hopefully see a nice Axis or some other type of exotic.

Comment

Will be rolling that way on Friday. Won't be a heavy hunting weekend but looking forward to seeing how Spring is treating us. We got about an inch of rain over the weekend in Edwards co.

Comment

We're going to have a work weekend to set up on our new lease this weekend. Probably won't shoot anything this weekend, but we're planning to go back to start hunting next weekend. Been seeing a LOT of axis, including some very nice bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X