Academy Customer service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Academy Customer service

A close friend of mine purchased a centerfire rifle last week at Academy. Out of the first 10 trigger pulls the gun misfired 3 times. After each misfire we waited a minute or two then checked the primers. Each time the primer would have a very light indentation from the firing pin. On two of the cartridges we re-inserted the cartridge and on the second try they shot. On the third one, I suggested we put the gun up and start over at Academy. When he asked me what he should do I told him that it could be the ammo but my money was on the gun having a problem. I noticed when he was boxing the rifle back up that the box had "store demo" written on it. When I asked him about this he said no they never told him he was getting the display gun in the purchase and he had not realized it at the time. He had the gun for a total of three days when he returned it to the store. His plan was to return the gun and upgrade to what he felt would be a more reliable brand. He wanted to exchange the gun and was not asking for a refund. The store manager said that he would have to get approval from his district manager to take the gun back. The store let him know today that they would not exchange the gun and that he would have to take the matter up with the manufacturer.
    My question is this:
    What is the normal return policy on fire arms? At any retailer.

Oh, and yes the gun was cleaned before the first shot was fired to remove the factory oils etc.

No returns is the normal policy

Comment

guns are not esay to return. If you call me Ill hook you up with someone at Academy that may help or explain it to you. And I worked the dog on a trail tonight and she will probably be a pet unless she surprises me.

Comment

No returns on firearms, too many variables and liability.

Academy should help dealing with the Manufacturer but you will have to do all the work. It will more than likely be through an authorized repair center.

A buddy had a similiar issue with a Remington 11-87 Shotgun. It would not shoot where you pointed it, really, I am not kidding. Anyhow, they put a new barrell on it and he sold it at the next gun show.

I think all you will wind up with is the gun repaired to working order. It is more than likely a small adjustment in the firing mechanism.

Good Luck,

Comment

Yea, I worked at Academy in the gun/hunting dept. Nothing Academy can do...youll have to go to MFG'er or gunsmith.

Comment

At a mom and pop gunstore in Victoria ... I bought a NEF handirifle in 223. It wouldn't shoot a group to save your life. After going through 3 boxes of ammo over the course of a weekend, I decided to take it back. I explained the issue and they attributed it to a loose scope ring that THEY had mounted. I took it back ... two more boxes of shells and still crap. Back to the store ... they were happy to buy the gun back at USED value!

IMO, the gun was junk from day one. If you look at the price of the new gun, I took a hoseing when they bought it back. I haven't set foot in that store since!

Comment

Sounds like a burr or broken firing pin.

Comment

If possible, disassemble the bolt and look for any obstructions or excess oil. Either can slow or stop a firing pin. If any rounds shot, don't think its broken.

Comment

At Academy, they generally tell you that you can not return fire arms when you are filling out the paperwork.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. I gotta tell you Academy pulled through in the end. Late this afternoon at the request of my friend, the DM's boss gave him a call. He explained the situation, his concerns, and his dissatisfaction with the whole deal. I don't know this guys title but he explained that the store manager and the DM were both right and were following normal policy but this sounded like a unique situation and he was going to make it right. The guy told him to take the rifle back in tomorrow and make the exchange.

Comment

I will tell you that Academy will make things right- I have known a loss prevention supervisor and a store manager for years and Ive never been unhappy with them. I broke a bay rod on a ling and told them about it. Both of them at the same time said- bring it back it broke on a fish.

Comment

Yeah, Academy did right again. Could be too many dry fires on the Demo.

Comment

Working...
                        X