You won't believe my luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You won't believe my luck

Let me start this off by saying that I have been in the stand now for 24 days. Some have been all day sits, others only mornings and a few have only been for the last 2 hours of the day. As you can see I have put in sometime. I have been busted 2 times by bucks that came in and have seen many other deer.

So yesterday, I had a good feeling. Left work at 3pm, 15 minute drive to the area. Landowner was doing some work and talked with him on my way to the stand. He had left a work truck in a near by field and told me that he would move it to not spook any deer. He also told me that the cows knocked down a the fence on the other end of the property so he would be fixing it.

After he drove the truck out of the area, I did a short rattling sequence. Sure enough, a large buck starts heading my way from the north. He will be coming across 2 fields to get to me. He makes it across one and they I see the landowner driving back down the road. Of course the deer spooks. Long story short, the landowner eventually ends up right in front of my stand, fixing the hot wire. He apologizes and move on. This leaves about 45 minutes of hunting. Couple of does come out into the cut corn and then a buck, but all he is interested in are the does. He never gets closer than 175yds.

There is now about 5 minutes of shooting time left and to my left, out of the thick stuff steps the MONSTER!!!! He had points sticking out of everywhere. He doesn't see me and I get to full draw. He steps behind a tree so all I can see is his head and butt. He is standing there checking things out before he commits to going to the corn. This probably last about 30 seconds and then I hear voices. (No, not the kind in my head). I shift my eyes away from my peep to see 2 people on horses with a dog coming toward me. It takes them about minute to get to where the buck doesn't want any of it and turns and leave in a gear that I did not know deer had.

Of course I am frustrated and let down my draw with a groan. The guy on the horse is obviously surprised to hear this sound and stops. He then says, "Is there a problem?" To which I reply "You just scared off the biggest deer of my life." The lady on the horse says, "Do you want us to leave?" And I say, "To late now."

Contact the landowner to tell him what had happened, and he was not happy. Apparently these are the neighbors and they are supposed to call him when they want to ride. That did not happen, so he is going to tell them that they are not welcome back. He tells me that he knows how hard I have been working at this, and I am actually paying for this lease. He would not stop apologizing for what had happened.

Oh well, I guess that I will just have to go out again.

Well, I hope there is an even bigger buck around the corner for you. I applaud you for maintaining your cool in a very frustrating situation!

Comment

dont worry man. I bet you get another chance

Comment

that suck, sorry to hear...

Comment

Is all this happening in Colorado?

Comment

Sounds like a good hunt to me. You got to be close to a large deer that you got drawn on- heart rate up- buck fever- sorry you didn't close on the deer but you got to enjoy alot. Keep at it you will close the deal. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry about your "bad luck" sounds like mine but only with much smaller deer, lol, and I too applaud you for keeping your cool, must have been tough

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                Is all this happening in Colorado?
                Yes it is... I have a lease on the Arkansas River about 10 miles East of Pueblo. Pueblo is on I-25 about 1 1/2 hours South of Denver.

Comment

Sorry to hear this keep at it it will all work out sooner or later

Comment

Well at least you found out that there's a monster buck living in those woods. How much longer in your season? Good luck and please keep us posted as to how you do. It's interesting to hear of hunts in someplace like where you're at.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                      Well at least you found out that there's a monster buck living in those woods. How much longer in your season? Good luck and please keep us posted as to how you do. It's interesting to hear of hunts in someplace like where you're at.
                      The season last until Dec 31.

Comment

Like others have said you know there is monster there. Now get him. Good luck!!

Comment

Man i really hate to hear it. Its kinda been one of those seasons for me as well. everyone around me is harvesting good bucks and all season i have only seen 2 does and not one was in range. but everything will look up. at least you get to be out in nature viewing God's wonderful creations and just getting away from it all

Comment

man that just sucks---atleast the owner is trying to work with you

Comment

Working...
                            X