Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has never hunted out out of state and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

out of state

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    Not to mention, once you get an elk back to TX, you have the same amount of meat if you shot 4-5 deer in TX.
    like said cost usally less than lease in tx. need to find right partner,(will to do what it takes) etc Couldn't talk couple guys to go, so went alone, the drive, kinda sucked, but when you see the rockes in fall made it worth it. Cost nr elk o.c tag 615. gas, 170. apprx. (older V8 4x4} took some deer out of freeze, also mt. house, back pack, had sleep gear had, ate in town 2 times, appx. 17buck couple new calls 10. buck ea. Throw'n on pack boots on mtn. hike through gold aspens, don't know how to load pics. Bout 4hrs. hike ,1300elev change, sleep under stars, listenin to elk talk, not for everyon, but worth it to me {first time in bout 8yrs} planning on going again soon before get tooooo old than dirt. gotta make time. a[price] 1200-1300.IAM 62yr.

Comment

I've had a few opportunities to go on DIY elk hunts in the past. However back in the years when those opportunities came around I didn't have the time due to family and work. Now that I could probably carve out the time, I'm less enthused about starting from square one and climbing that DIY learning curve. If I go at this stage of life it will be because I finally decided to cough up the coin for a guided hunt on private land.

Comment

Not knowing where to really go. I have a place in Wyoming I go but haven't ventured anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
          I had a trip all planned out with a good friend to Alaska for a Moose hunt and he was murdered before we could go. Some of you probably new him Larry Sifford He had a small bow shop in El Campo.
          I worked with Larry. He was a great bowhunter and an even greater guy. I learned a lot about deer hunting from him just from our conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
            Go solo and figure it out! [emoji1]

You probably won't have success at first but there is nothing like the satisfaction of just getting out there and figuring it out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            I just don't enjoy going solo even to the ranch. I can deal without getting anything however I would prefer to go with a group of like minded individuals and honestly it's part of what I enjoy the most about our ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Texag0842 View Post
              I just don't enjoy going solo even to the ranch. I can deal without getting anything however I would prefer to go with a group of like minded individuals and honestly it's part of what I enjoy the most about our ranch.
              Nothing wrong with that!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                Nothing wrong with that!!

If anyone wants to put a group together and make a trip out of it please count me in

Comment

I think for some it's a matter of not knowing where to begin with research on areas to hunt, etc. It can be a little overwhelming the first time you do it, though it becomes easy after that. I actually love that part of it, but then I love to analyze data and research things.

I think for a lot of others citing money as the reason, it's probably simply a matter of priorities for many of them. I took my son on a Colorado elk hunt and a separate South Dakota pheasant hunt this year, both unguided on public lands, and I'd bet our total trip cost for both trips combined was still less than the annual fee to be on a halfway decent Texas hunting lease.

I've hunted in 23 states in the last 25 years and I am by no means wealthy, never have been. But I drive a 14 year old truck, haven't purchased a new bow or climbing treestand in about 12 years, and about the only "new" hunting gear I buy some of almost every year is a few new trail cameras and a pack or two of broadheads and "hothands" hand warmers. I don't dip/chew, or smoke, and we don't eat out much. But I do like to go on out of state hunts for various types of game, including whitetails, which I hunt every year here in Ohio as well.

Comment

Joshua ,like youre mindset ,it takes some searching and time ,part of it , I had encounters last year, never released a arrow but loved being in mtns. those who wanna go guided, I know reputable outfit. reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                      This thread has the makings of the first annual "don't know what I'm doing, don't have the money to get a guide, and don't have anyone to go with" TBH DIY elk hunt.

I'm in
                      I'm in too.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
                        I think for some it's a matter of not knowing where to begin with research on areas to hunt, etc. It can be a little overwhelming the first time you do it, though it becomes easy after that. I actually love that part of it, but then I love to analyze data and research things.

I think for a lot of others citing money as the reason, it's probably simply a matter of priorities for many of them. I took my son on a Colorado elk hunt and a separate South Dakota pheasant hunt this year, both unguided on public lands, and I'd bet our total trip cost for both trips combined was still less than the annual fee to be on a halfway decent Texas hunting lease.

I've hunted in 23 states in the last 25 years and I am by no means wealthy, never have been. But I drive a 14 year old truck, haven't purchased a new bow or climbing treestand in about 12 years, and about the only "new" hunting gear I buy some of almost every year is a few new trail cameras and a pack or two of broadheads and "hothands" hand warmers. I don't dip/chew, or smoke, and we don't eat out much. But I do like to go on out of state hunts for various types of game, including whitetails, which I hunt every year here in Ohio as well.
                        I second this...

I think most people don't realize how easy it is; as well as how inexpensive it can be. I shied away from it for years, despite several friends urging me to do it. I think the application and draw process (for other states) may be intimidating for hunters who've never gone through it. I used to get online to research it and would then get overwhelmed with information and forget about it. Once I finally dove in and started putting in for the draw, it wasn't so difficult. In retrospect, I wish I'd started doing it years before.

If you think it's a money issue, you might be surprised at how "cheap" it is; ESPECIALLY if you're a hunter without a lease. If you get a group of about 5-6guys, split the gas and groceries, you can mule deer hunt public land in CO for about $800-1,000. I'm talking an 8 or 9 day camping and hunting trip. This is, of course, if you already have all of the equipment. My first trip to Wyoming was a little more costly because I had to buy some camping gear. The last two trip shave been around the price mentioned above; that's permit, food, gas, etc...

If any of you have any questions, I've hunted Wyoming and CO an can help provide some insight on the draw process as well as some of the rules, regulations, and overall specifics for public land hunting in these states.
                        Last edited by TexasHunter83; 12-23-2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by COOLDAD1 View Post
                          Money and Time .......Would love to go somewhere, but with 3 young boys it's kind of hard to do.
                          Based on your avatar, it looks like you are doing just fine where you are. Heck of a lineup!

Comment

So I may get stones thrown at me, but the honest truth is desire. I have no desire to go out of the state. There are a lot of animals right here I have not hunted and would like to. I have had a few chances to go on Elk hunts and never went based on, I just don't care to.
                            Like a few others, I too have a wife and pair of kids. Going on a several day hunt just doesn't seem legit at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              I checked out the Hunting Atlas on the Colorado website, it really is pretty neat and could help you.
                              I appreciate the info I'll check it all out over the next few days as I'll have the downtime

Comment

Great thread. Went on a drop camp hunt to the San Juan Mountains in 2014. Little more costly than DIY but one of the best hunts my son and I had. And we didn't even see a thing. Plan on retiring in 2018 so we are going to New Mexico 2017 and and maybe Wyoming 2018. Going pheasant hunting in Nebraska also. Best to make a trip while income is incoming, if money is issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X