Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has never hunted out out of state and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mainly haven't done it because I'm fairly "new" to hunting. At least seriously anyway. No one in my family really does / did. Now that I'm getting more settled in life I'm making more time and learning more constantly. I want to possibly try an out of state hunt in '17, but we have kiddo #2 on the way, so I'll see how short my leash will be this coming year lol. Good thing is wifey is loving hunting as well and I'm sure will be wanting to try this as well. Right now a lower cost DIY hunt would be the way for me to go. Can't justify $3k or more for a nice guided trip. But if I could keep cost at $1k then I'd be in just to gain more experience.

Comment

Never hunted out of state, as a matter of fact I have only hunted once or twice outside of Coke or Tom Green Co. Money and time are the major reasons. I'm a teacher/coach so a majority of deer season is spent either in football or basketball practice. I would love to go on a mule deer hunt in New Mexico hunt like my FIL, 60Deluxe, talks about. Maybe someday.

Comment

Originally posted by mudcatz71 View Post
        Finding somebody that could go with me.

Go alone. I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Who has never hunted out out of state and why?

I've never hunted out of a state I don't live in except for hunting Texas. The only reason I hunt Texas is because I was born and raised there and have places to hunt for free. I've hunted Arizona, North Carolina, and Louisiana but I have lived in those states for 4 to 6 years. I have only killed deer in Texas and NC but I've killed dove and quail in Arizona and Gators in La.

The reason I haven't hunted out of State is because I don't have anyone who has pushed me to go on a hunt out of state. I always said my first hunt would be small for a antelope in Wyoming and then move to Mule Deer. From there I would like to do an Elk Hunt and then maybe Alaska for Mouse or Caribou.

The other thing that makes me scorned guess a hunt is I couldn't imagine going on a hunt and paying several thousand dollars and not brining home a trophy.

Last edited by Black Ice; 12-23-2016, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Never have, no particular reason. But my in-laws just purchased a vacation place in Colorado, so I'm gonna try this next season. I'm clueless as to where to start, but will dig in next week while we are there and see what I can find. Anyone familiar with the Pagosa Springs/San Juan NF area, who wouldn't mind sharing some info, I'm all ears

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
              For those saying money is the reason, leases in Texas cost more than a DIY hunt will.
              The absolute truth Much more!
              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-23-2016, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                Go alone. I do.

This^^^ or bring your wife

Comment

I Have been 12 years in a row...killed deer every trip. It requires a little effort.A lot of computer work saves miles in your vehicle. Kansas, Illinois, Iowa are draw tags with Kansas and Illinois being a 100% draw for me. Iowa every 3 years. Missouri and Ohio is over the counter. I think Ok is the same as is Arkansas. Arky is the longest archery season, into Feb. If ya want to go East, Bama has a deer a day limit. Very inexpensive hunt. I agree with some post above, money is the smallest hurdle to overcome.

Illinois has unlimited doe tags as long as you want to fork out 15 or 25 dollars for ea additional tag. I did this one season, came home with 5 doe.

Time is your enemy, sieze it by the throat and make the time and GO!!!! You wont regret it. My wife and I use it as a vacation to get away. Its been a bout 3 years since I have hunted out of state(no counting La). Making plans to go in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                    Never have, no particular reason. But my in-laws just purchased a vacation place in Colorado, so I'm gonna try this next season. I'm clueless as to where to start, but will dig in next week while we are there and see what I can find. Anyone familiar with the Pagosa Springs/San Juan NF area, who wouldn't mind sharing some info, I'm all ears
                    Foot work. Plan a late Spring early Summer vacation and scout some of the NF around Pagosa Springs. My goodness! You have an open door! Go! Vist the Colorado Parks and Wildlife office in Gunnison and they will give you so much info! They want you to come to Colorado...they want your money. Check out the Colorado hunting atlas on their web page. Heck! If you buy a license and cant go, they will refund you your money.

There, I have done most of the work for you, all you gotta do is show up. Your welcome
                    Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-23-2016, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                      Retired, have the time but not the money.
                      I started a lawn business, never touched my budgeted money for the household.

If you have the time, do this. Nothing easier than riding a lawn mower and getting paid a dollar a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddle Tramp View Post
                        I find it funny that money is a problem, it is cheaper for me to hunt out of state than have a lease here.
                        And if you do your research chances are really pretty good.
                        True...the deer out of state are so much easier to kill it is unreal! The biggest problem is other hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                          I have fully planned three trips and had everyone back out. Honestly thinking about just going on my own next year.
                          That's what I do. Had a hunting buddy for awhile and he passed away. Planned a trip once with a couple of guys...did ALL the foot work, scouting, maps, highlighted places to set treestands, they were pretty ungrateful even though we all killed. I had to pass on a buck that would have been my biggest out of state buck. Landowner wanted a minimum size limit.

IT WAS STILL WORTH IT. 1500 per person...that's staying in his house on the property for 7 days. Hot water, a\c and heat, kitchen. Illinois in Schuyler county. Biggest buck off his property was 170s. A guy killed a 160 while we were there on a another property.

Comment

Dang! Im getting pumped! Lets go huntin!!!!

Comment

Hunted Colorado this past fall on a diy. I went alone and had a great time. I spent a lot of money in gear but if I do a diy every year or other than hunting isn't that expensive. Between gear, licenses (mule deer, elk), food, and a few nights in a hotel room my cost was around 3,000. I made phone calls and researched the internet. I only saw one cow elk and a couple of mule deer on 6 days of hunting but was a great experience. I hunted from 9500 to 12,000ft in unit 74. I traveled all over the unit. Found a good elk spot around silverton and found good mule deer area close to Durango on last day. I literally hunted almost everywhere in that unit. I slept in a tent or my truck and if not seeing any fresh sign tried other places. Maybe I should have stuck to one place more but I chose to try many different places instead. Talked to lots of locals and tried spots based on conversation with them.

Hunting out of state is doable if it is what you want to do. You don't need anyone or a guide so money and friends not going shouldn't be an excuse.

gas was about 300
                              license 624 elk
                              360 for mule deer tag
                              food (that expense can be cheap or expensive depends on you)
                              gear (1,000 and up) backpack, sleeping bag, boots, binoculars, spotting scope

Comment

Good thread flywise. I went to Colorado 5 times when I was dirt poor. Now that I'm a little better off financially, I'm too dang fat to hump them hills. but I'm working on changing that. It took me 5 trips to kill a bull, but had opportunities on every trip but 1. I even bought an OTC bear tag one year and killed a chocolate bear. Some of you guys are missing the main point. It's not about the kill, it's the experience. Yes, 4 or 5 deer would cost less, but 300 lbs of beef would be less than what we spend on hunting every year. As some have said, for less than $1000 ($20 a week) you can experience some of the most beautiful country in the world, and feel like you have done something when you get home. I promise after your first trip, you will figure out how to finance it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X