Big A Feeder from Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to get my first feeder. I am considering the Big A feeder at Academy. Can anyone advise me if this is a good feeder? Will it last? Does it have a varmint cage around the motor? Is it easy to put together? Is it easy to get replacement parts? Please let me know pros and cons.
    Thanks,
    Lance

I've used Academy feeders with a lot of success. Some people have had moisture issues (I never have and I've got four running - 2 650's and 2 325's). Pictures of mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A little time consuming to put together. Had one for several years with no issues. I did seal all of the seams, bolts, etc out of precaution and have had no moisture issues whatsoever.

Comment

I put one up in this year .No problems yet. it took about 3 hours to
        put it together , but a second one would take about half that time

Comment

I have had mine out for 7 years. Took some time to put together. I finally changed the motor timer this year. They were still working I just went to an all season 12volt battery.

Comment

Great feeder construction but highly recommend a 12volt unit added to it.

Comment

Ive been using this brand for a few years now and they are excellent. I assume they will last at least a decade or two. I had one not staked down and the hogs took it down, spun it around a hundred times and still nothing wrong with it, jus stood it back up and staked it down.

Comment

How are the timers that come with it? What tools do you need to put it together?

Comment

Do yourself a favor, spend a little more money and buy a Boss Buck feeder. I bought 2 of the 350lb "combo" feeders. They are gravity fed for off season and come with the spinner for deer season. All you need is a battery, and pliers. From the time you are opening the box and the time you are adding corn is 5 minutes. NO $#!+ Its WORTH the money.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Timers are cheap 6 volt with a cheap timer, would replace first thing.

Comment

I just looked at Sportsman's Guide and can get 2 Moultrie Elite Feeders for $251.00. Still have to buy batteries and solar panels but the price is right for me.

Comment

If they still have the same timers as one I got about 3 years ago the timers are junk. Rest of it is ok its really tall to fill.

Comment

Feeders and feeder motors are a lot like other things you buy, you get what you pay for. I personally like a 112 volt motor and a barrel and motor that are at least over my head when it is cranked up. To me it scatters the corn farther and better and keeps the deer around in the pen longer. it also help with other varmits. Since I have gone to the crank up style feeders that are well off the ground I have eliminated the coon problem.

Comment

I have the Big "A" and have had zero issues. No problem with the 6v motor and timer yet.

Picked it up on sale after the Christmas rush for around $200. Hard to beat that deal.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                              I have the Big "A" and have had zero issues. No problem with the 6v motor and timer yet.

Picked it up on sale after the Christmas rush for around $200. Hard to beat that deal.

This.

Not sure what issues y'all are having with an extremely easy to use timer...
                              6volt slings just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X