Fire ants in the garden...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reds015 View Post
    Usually the cold drives them deep this time of year. I've noticed this warm winter has been keep lots of mounds above ground

And the 150 degree hot compost pile is helping them out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree with all of the above. I've heard planting garlic is supposed to help as well. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but I plant garlic every year and have ants everywhere EXCEPT my garden.

Comment

I use Dirt Doctor's orange oil/water/ dish soap mixture. There is a pre made organic ant killer called Mound Drench.

Comment

Nematodes work great but are expensive, boric acid (Borax, some roach powders) mixed with syrup (any kind with sugar) work great and is cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by dgrantlpc View Post
            Nematodes work great! Also kills fleas!

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
            Nematodes worked for us , one application lasted 3 years . Not a fire ant to be found in our yard and my wife had a ton of flower beds and edging around them. I think they cost about $40 when we bought them.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
              Nematodes worked for us , one application lasted 3 years . Not a fire ant to be found in our yard and my wife had a ton of flower beds and edging around them. I think they cost about $40 when we bought them.
              How would you go about treating 2 acres? Looks like it'd be in the thousands of dollars range...

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
                How would you go about treating 2 acres? Looks like it'd be in the thousands of dollars range...
                Check with The Dirt Doctor for large space applications

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
                  Shouldn't be that much...more like a couple hundo

Comment

boric acid and syrup worked in the past with us

Comment

Diatomacious earth DID NOT work for me on ants over a 5 month period. I will classify that crap as holistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        Diatomacious earth DID NOT work for me on ants over a 5 month period. I will classify that crap as holistic.
                        I am having the same luck with harvester ants and that stuff.... im almost certain they are snorting it.

Only sure thing with fireants in my experience has been with Bayer Fire Ant killer.. works instantly and kills the entire mound dead dead dead.
                        Trouble is ...I cant find it anywhere anymore... walmart is either always out or not carrying it anymore...same with home depot...

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                          I am having the same luck with harvester ants and that stuff.... im almost certain they are snorting it.

Only sure thing with fireants in my experience has been with Bayer Fire Ant killer.. works instantly and kills the entire mound dead dead dead.
                          Trouble is ...I cant find it anywhere anymore... walmart is either always out or not carrying it anymore...same with home depot...
                          I think that's what my wife gets at either true value or lowe's... It looks like sawdust, but it kicks the ants butts almost instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            I think that's what my wife gets at either true value or lowe's... It looks like sawdust, but it kicks the ants butts almost instantly.
                            no the bayers stuff looks like white flour...in a blue bottle...
                            no odor either ..(which is why I like it)

looks like target might carry it...too bad I don't shop there

Comment

They had a mound of the blue bottle Bayer at my Home Depot yesterday. I have some and use it in the yard....but I keep it out of my garden. Don't want that stuff getting wicked up into my veggies.

On another note I have actually found that the ants have benefited my garden last year by breaking down the hard soil/clay and aerating the soil. The ants didn't hurt my plants at all.

Comment

I've never tried it but I've heard that coffee grounds will make ants move. They don't like it for whatever reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X