Looking for a 2017 elk hunt for my dad and me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a 2017 elk hunt for my dad and me

Dad and I want to go on an elk hunt together next year. He'll be 71 next fall. He has had several health issues the last few years, so he isn't up to packing in to rough country on a DIY elk hunt. He is also too old to build points for a top shelf draw unit. He used to hunt elk back in the 70s and 80s, but he has never killed a trophy or close to trophy sized bull. I'd love for him to kill a decent bull. A 280-300" 6x6 would be fantastic.

So our options to realistically have a chance at that next year are OTC or guaranteed draw tags in areas that have lots of hunter pressure and/or more sparse elk numbers, likely requiring a long pack in to escape the crowds (which he can't do), or find a private land hunt (either OTC tag or landowner permit). $6-10K each is more than we can spend on it, but I've seen several places that offer trespass fee hunts and drop camp hunts in the $2-4K range.

Before I pick a place off the internet, I'd rather see if I can get some recommendations on specific ranches or outfitters from folks here with first-hand experience. If you don't want to post any info publicly, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'd appreciate any help and advice I could get.

Thanks!

Watching this myself.

Comment

Originally posted by kutnchute View Post
      Watching this myself.

X2. I didn't know 2k was doable. Might change my 2017 plan a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This link may help some with an outfitter. All my hunts that I have been on would be too tough on your dad but I'm sure there are others out there. http://worldwidetrophyadventures.com/

Comment

Shane, check your mail...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Shane, check your mail...

Comment

Any other suggestions for specific ranches or outfitters?

Comment

I've been talking to a guy in Colorado with C bar Z outfitters. Thinking about joining some other TBHers out there next October. Take a look at it. $4500 for a hunt plus your OTC tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am doing a hunt set up by safari1 with my dad next year as well. They basically set everything up for you, but are paid directly by the outfitters, not by you. Although they push 7k. Just FYI

Comment

I'll send you contact info to a friend from Colorado that has family land hunts.

Comment

Look at tristate outfitters. I have not hunted with them but know several that have and all say great things. Closer by and no tags to draw.

Comment

interested as well

Comment

ttt

Comment

I don't know shane, just thinking if I were wearing your shoes I would drop the coin for NM private land hunt. They have good elk out there with really good success ratios. The realistic $$ is going to be at least 5-6k per hunter, maybe a little more after the tip and other costs. In round number estimate you will only spend twice what you would have spent on a trespass hunt or drop camp approach and the probability of getting Dad that good bull are much better. I wished I could provide you a name, but never did what I am suggesting (go figure that). I guess because my dad has already past the point of ever seeing elk country again.

Comment

Working...
                            X